Best PC mobo for MAME cab/setup

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Well, I'm not really build a cab, and I'm not planning on buying dedicated hardware anytime soon - I just started living with my missus, in a tiny 1-bedroom apartment.

I got an used 29" flat LG standard def TV, and I want to use it for retro gaming (I don't like how old games look in HDTV/widescreen). So, i'm considering building a mini, cheap PC, only for emus, so I can sit it nicely in the rack under the TV (and even use it to watch some videos). I'm planning to install Hyperspin or any multi-emu/MAME frontend, so I can boot it up and handle the menus and everything by the controllers, at native resolution.

So, can anyone suggest me good hardware combos for that? I know there's some atom CPU+board kits that could fit the bill nicely, since I won't need a dedicated GPU for such old games, but dunno what are the best models/bargains/features that I should aim to.

I'm planning to use my 2 SSFIV fightpads (or 2 neogeo USB sticks or pads, if I can get some).

So give me a piece of your mind.

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
You can really make due with just picking up any old desktop or laptop off of Craigslist that's over 1Ghz. My rig is definitely overdoing it, quad core Phenom with 8GB of ram but I built mine with SSIV Arcade Edition in mind.

My daughter's Atom laptop though did seem to choke on Samurai Shodown 5 Special.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
I was considering an atom mini-itx board-cpu combo with a ION system. Seem pretty cool and cheap, so maybe I'll go for that.

I'm having a problem "drawing the line" on what I want to emulate. I was aiming to be able to do TypeX/X2 stuff - what could be easy since it's Atom-based - but the combo uses GMA graphics, and TypeX uses Radeon/GeForce setups, so it's a deal breaker for that.

So I'm not sure if I'll go to a low profile ATX with a better Radeon board (dedicated or built-in) or stick with the mini-itx idea, and be less ambitious about what to run on it...

Last edited:
Blz, legal te ver devolta por essas bandas...

If taito type x2 is your goal, maybe you should mimic it's specs for maximum compatibility, it would be cheap and at the same time powerfull enough to run emus and videos.

Some mini-atx mobo with LGA 775, Intel Q965 + ICH8 chipset and realltek onboard sound.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Blz, legal te ver devolta por essas bandas...

If taito type x2 is your goal, maybe you should mimic it's specs for maximum compatibility, it would be cheap and at the same time powerfull enough to run emus and videos.

Some mini-atx mobo with LGA 775, Intel Q965 + ICH8 chipset and realltek onboard sound.

Cool, I was taking a look at System16, and I'm considering getting a GF9500, since ity's dirty cheap these days (TypeX2 is said to support until 9800GTX, not that any game actually uses that, anyway).

I found this dirty cheap mobo, dunno if it's ok since it's ICH7 (dunno that it means, i'm out of the loop regarfin Intel naming conventions): http://www.kabum.com.br/cgi-local/kabum3/produtos/descricao.cgi?id=01:01:15:144:20327&tag=

Too bad core duos are still somewhat expensive for their age...

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
You could always put a video card on the board. Right now I am having issues with SSIV:AE the PC version but if I can't get it working I am just going to have to wait for a TX2 dump to come out.

Haven't ran any Type X dumps yet, how easy are they?

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
They are awesomely easy to run - they come with a bat file already done to run the game on PC, it runs at one click, no installation ;) (just don't forget to run the setup tool first, to set the controller and res)

I'm almost giving up and going the mini-itx way: to build a simple ATX machine, I'll spend almost twice the money, just to make TypeX2 possible, what is not worthy, since I already have a good PC, and TypeX2 have higher resolutions support. I'll make a mini-itx machine to put under the TV, and stick with my desktop PC for PC gaming and TypeX2 emulation.

PS: legal te ver tbm, Metallizer ;) saiu do país, ou errou a bandeira? :D

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
No, just SFIV. But KOFXIII is already available ;)

Hmm I may have to look into this sooner than I thought lol Once I get my new video card installed in my cab I was thinking of trying out some of them in my cab.