Best non-fighters? (+ hello!)

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Super Baseball 2020 is cool but it's not as advanced as the Baseball Stars games as far as mechanics and it plays it pretty loose as far as the actual rules of baseball.

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
Really interested in getting a baseball game. Is there much difference in quality between Baseball Stars 1/2 and 2020 Baseball?

BS2 is basically an upgrade to BSPro. 2020 is a futuristic baseball game with wacky rules. If you want to stay true to baseball, get BS2.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Baseball Stars Pro is worth having too if you can get it fairly cheap, but if pro and BBS2 are close to the same price BBS2 is better.

The only Neo racing game worth owning is Neo Drift Out, which unfortunately had no home cart release. It's also debatable if a game you can clear in 5 minutes is worth the MVS or CD price tags too, but I really do love the game.

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member
Hi Ash, my list would be:

Platformer: Magician Lord
Shoot-em-up: Pulstar
Run n Gun: Metal Slug 1 or X
Racer: Neo Driftout (MVS)
Sports: Neo Turfmasters/BTG
Puzzle: Magical Drop 2/3
Other: Nam 75

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Platformer -- Spinmaster (or Top Hunter)
Shoot-em-up -- Blazing Star (or Aerofighters 2)
Run n Gun -- Metal Slug (NAM1975)
Racer -- Sorry don't have one
Sports -- Neo Turf Masters (or League Bowling)
Puzzle -- Bust-A-Move Again (and the original)

Other-- Side scrolling punch/kick type aka: brawler -- 8 Man and Mutation Nation

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
As for Magician Lord, is it really that good? I watched some footage on YouTube it looked a bit stilted - kind of like Shinobi, which I've never been a huge fan of.

Ah, maybe not the best choice for you then. I can see the comparison to Shinobi, as it is quite slow paced but difficult. I'm a big Shinobi fan, so I suppose I enjoy this style of game.

As for a list, my picks would be:

Platformer: Magician Lord (Blue's Journey is also fun)
Shoot-em-up: Aero Fighters 2 or Blazing Star
Run n Gun: Obviously the Metal Slugs and Shock Troopers, but Cyber Lip is a favourite of mine
Racer: I only have Riding Hero, and I can't recommend that at all
Sports: I'm not a football fan, but I do enjoy the Super Sidekicks games
Puzzle: Puzzle Bobble is the best, but MVS only. Maybe one of the Magical Drops, they're pretty good
Other: I'm a big fan of the Sengoku games, and they didn't really fit in another category

Last edited:

K1ngArth3r

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Here's my suggestions

Platformer 8man (or would this be run and gun?)
Shoot-em-up Alpha Mission 2 or Blazing Star
Run n Gun Ninja Commando
Racer Thrash Rally
Sports Super Sidekicks
Puzzle Puzzled
Other Mutation Nation

Ash

Bashful Lurker, ,
This about NGH stoopid!

@OP: I'd suggest to stay away from conversions/boots, not worth it (MAYBE if they are organic (as in no original carts sacrificed)) - better to buy a MVS/AES adapter (like the Magic Key, gets you some Unibios features without mods too) and the legit MVS carts... or buy a CMVS (e.g. James/Xian Xi/Jamma Nation X and Quan/shadowkn55/Arcade Works build killer machines).

P.S.:
You can multiqoute with the + in the right corner below the posts...

Thanks for the tips, especially on the multiquote. It's been many years since I've used a forum. :)

SNK_Pro

Geese's Thug
For me I would go -

Platformer Top Hunter
Shoot-em-up Last Resort or Viewpoint
Run n Gun Metal Slug
Racer Thrash Rally
Sports Flying power disc
Puzzle Not really a puzzle game fan, so nothing to recommend!
Other Burning fight

On my side here we go:

Platformer Top Hunter
Shoot-em-up Blazing Star and 1945 Strikers Plus
Run n Gun Metal Slug
Racer Neo Driftout
Sports Baseball Stars 2
Puzzle: Can I say Twinkle Star Sprites?
Other Sengoku 3

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
This about NGH stoopid!

@OP: I'd suggest to stay away from conversions/boots, not worth it (MAYBE if they are organic (as in no original carts sacrificed)) - better to buy a MVS/AES adapter (like the Magic Key, gets you some Unibios features without mods too) and the legit MVS carts... or buy a CMVS (e.g. James/Xian Xi/Jamma Nation X and Quan/shadowkn55/Arcade Works build killer machines).

P.S.:
You can multiqoute with the + in the right corner below the posts...

By organic, do you mean EPROM made conversions?

tomlee80

Kabuki Klasher
I love my AES and it can still be great value for money.

Invest in a good MVS to AES converter. I own a Magic Key and Daedalus. If you've got the cash buy the latter, it'll pay for itself in the long run. Also buy a memory card. There is no way I could complete the likes of Aero Fighters 2 or Metal Slug without one.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
By organic, do you mean EPROM made conversions?
There are repros with freshly produced shells, cases, boards and chips - so no part of any original game is damaged... that's what I mean.

The term has, of course, a sarcastic undertone, as seems usual with the creations of one oliverclaude. It does, however, have it merits, if you understand "organic" in the sense of "relating to, or obtained from living things". While "living things" is here to be defined as "still in production".

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Going with whats been said already. Magician lord, Metal Slug series, Nam 1975, Blue's Journey, Ninja Commando,Last Resort, Blazing Star, Strikers 1945, Super Sidekicks 2, Baseball Stars 2, Street Hoops, Windjammers, Robo Army, those are just from the games I played. There's still a some like Cyber Lip, Spinmaster, and Top Hunter that I haven't played yet that look pretty good.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Get:

Thrash rally
Alpha mission 2
Baseball stars 2
Nam 1975

You re good to go without fighters

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
Someone has to say this, you came late to the party and getting into Neo Geo today is going to be extremely pricy no matter which route you take, AES, MVS, CD they all have expensive games these days.

I can tell you have no idea what you are doing even if you say you are not new to this.

My recommendation, get a raspberry Pi3, lakka, arcade to USB converter and play the games with your neo geo controller see what you like and buy what you want to keep and play, neo geo is not your average console to play hit and miss, lately more people gets attracted to the easy to play style of the NG but as you could see asking for a MS got you nowhere, even a japanese cart is hard to find on AES.

Even if I tell you go MVS is no good, the time is almost up for that too cause more people is buying today, just like you they are just getting into this and they are competing to get as many carts they can as soon as possible without knowing what they are getting, microwave safe big timers I say, get acquainted with the software don't rush and enjoy the games.

Once you know what to get see your options, get an upscaler (recommended= XRGB Mini a.k.a. Framemeister) a Unibios from Razoola and a big Memory Card From NTM (he will have some soon) and fire away.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Platformer:Blues Journey
Shoot'em up:Last Resort
Run'n'Gun:Metal Slug or X
Racer:Id say Neo Dirftout but it's mvs and ngcd only.
Sports:Baseball Stars 2
Puzzle:Magical Drop 3

Most have mention all ready.It's the worst time getting into the aes right now due to it's prices.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Someone has to say this, you came late to the party and getting into Neo Geo today is going to be extremely pricy no matter which route you take, AES, MVS, CD they all have expensive games these days.

I can tell you have no idea what you are doing even if you say you are not new to this.

My recommendation, get a raspberry Pi3, lakka, arcade to USB converter and play the games with your neo geo controller see what you like and buy what you want to keep and play, neo geo is not your average console to play hit and miss, lately more people gets attracted to the easy to play style of the NG but as you could see asking for a MS got you nowhere, even a japanese cart is hard to find on AES.

Even if I tell you go MVS is no good, the time is almost up for that too cause more people is buying today, just like you they are just getting into this and they are competing to get as many carts they can as soon as possible without knowing what they are getting, microwave safe big timers I say, get acquainted with the software don't rush and enjoy the games.

Once you know what to get see your options, get an upscaler (recommended= XRGB Mini a.k.a. Framemeister) a Unibios from Razoola and a big Memory Card From NTM (he will have some soon) and fire away.

I agree with this, and another option if you had a MVS to put the game into (or CMVS) the 161in1 cart. It may not be 100% perfect, but it has a very large sampling of amazing stuff the Neo Geo has to offer and it costs under $100. The games alone would keep you busy a long time, but if you're set on ownership of a few and just being casual with others you can test buy worthy games on that too while keeping the multicart for the rest where the price isn't worth individual pleasure value on a specific game.

Skat72

Kabuki Klasher
Back in 2005 when I lived in Tokyo I remember seeing Metal Slug for AES at a couple game shops for around ¥900. I'm afraid to ask what the price is now. Alpha Mision II is a fun shmup. Always reminded me a little of the original Star Soldier.

Ash

Bashful Lurker, ,
Thanks for all the recommendations! I went for a Thrash Rally in the end and really love it. It reminds me of a lot arcade and Amiga racers I enjoyed in my youth but with much more detail and panache as you'd expect from the Neo Geo. I can see me putting a lot of time into it.

Think I'll get a Baseball Stars next.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Thanks for all the recommendations! I went for a Thrash Rally in the end and really love it. It reminds me of a lot arcade and Amiga racers I enjoyed in my youth but with much more detail and panache as you'd expect from the Neo Geo. I can see me putting a lot of time into it.

Think I'll get a Baseball Stars next.

I still need to get myself a copy of Thrash Rally, I hear a lot of good things, but then I guess there isn't much competition on the Neo.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I still need to get myself a copy of Thrash Rally, I hear a lot of good things, but then I guess there isn't much competition on the Neo.
Drift Out > other Neo Racers.