Best Neo Geo Pocket games

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Just tried Metal Slug 1st mission and it feels laggy in comparison with the 2nd. Still a game you don't want to put down
Don't waste your time for shooters its cotton followed by metal slug, for tactical is faselei, for fighting its match of the millenium and for adventure sonic is alright.
I thought cotton wasn't a good shooter. Why does it stand out from the crowd and especially beats MS 2nd mission?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
From what I've played, there isn't a single bad game on the system as far as I'm concerned.

Pocketgamer

Ukyo's Doctor
15 Year Member
Just tried Metal Slug 1st mission and it feels laggy in comparison with the 2nd. Still a game you don't want to put down

I thought cotton wasn't a good shooter. Why does it stand out from the crowd and especially beats MS 2nd mission?

I personally find it more enjoyable because its the type of game that any shooter fan can enjoy. The controls are right on. There are tons of power ups, mid as well as end bosses that can be easy or pose a difficult challenge, the power ups help alot. If you ever played cotton for the turbo grafx or saturn, you will get that nostalgic feeling but a miniturized version and the sound is also fantastic, just like its name.

Crush Roller

Rugal's Thug
Most games have already been said but I would probably place the third-party games towards the top of my list-
Pacman
Sonic
MOTM
Gals Fighters
FF Contact
Bust a move
Neo Twentyone
Cotton
Metal Slug 1/2

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Most games have already been said but I would probably place the third-party games towards the top of my list-
Pacman
Sonic
MOTM
Gals Fighters
FF Contact
Bust a move
Neo Twentyone
Cotton
Metal Slug 1/2

No love for Crush Roller? :glee:

Last edited:

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
I already have acquired the following boxed line up:
Metal Slug 1st & 2nd
Sonic
Match of the Millenium
Samurai Spirits 2
Last Blade
Gals Fighters.
But there are at least as many on the wish list

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I've always been a huge fan of Ganbare Neo Poke-Kun. It's kinda like WarioWare and a Tomogotchi had a bastard love child. Quirky and fun as heck. Little to no Japanese language skills required if I remember correctly.

I'll also throw in a vote for Turf Masters. I love the NGPC version as much as the regular. Keep in mind that I have no love for sports games, but Turf Masters is a ton of fun.

I've also played more Sonic on my NGPC then I care to admit.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I've always been a huge fan of Ganbare Neo Poke-Kun. It's kinda like WarioWare and a Tomogotchi had a bastard love child. Quirky and fun as heck. Little to no Japanese language skills required if I remember correctly.

I'll also throw in a vote for Turf Masters. I love the NGPC version as much as the regular. Keep in mind that I have no love for sports games, but Turf Masters is a ton of fun.

I've also played more Sonic on my NGPC then I care to admit.

I liked Neo Pokekun because I had no idea what was going on. It was surreal. Probably the best game on the system, followed by picture puzzle.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Does anybody know in the Japanese Gals fighters version what option in the menu is battle speed and which is the difficulty?

Crush Roller

Rugal's Thug
Pacman
Sonic
MOTM
Gals Fighters
FF Contact
Bust a move
Neo Twentyone
Cotton
Metal Slug 1/2

No love for Crush Roller? :glee:

Lol, I thought it was obvious but I should of included it on list to be fair mate,In fact I like most maze style games like Pacman,Berzerk,Ladybug,Amidar,etc.It would need to be a dreadful maze labyrinth style game for me not to like it.

Kid Fenris

Rugal's Thug
10 Year Member

I'd really like to try that one. It sounds fun as hell.

In the absence of playing that, I'll go with Match of the Millennium and Cardfighter's Clash as my predictable favorites.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I really like Puyo Pop on the Neo Pocket. Match of the Millenium is the best game though.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
some of my favorites are dark arms, last blade, samurai shodown 2, kof round 2, bust a move pocket, metal slug 1st, 2nd mission, and match of the millenium

bklyn4ever

New Challenger
I have not played many of the pocket games, however, I do like both of the metal slug games.

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
For the mono one the 1st Samurai Shodown is really cool << https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYbWQuzzjzY

It looks much better on the console. There's something really special about the monochrome ngp.
The way the screen displays the graphics. The 'layered' look, the parallax scrolling.
I don't think anyone is going to use their NGP much, if they have a color. But you have to have one in the collection.

Kid Fenris

Rugal's Thug
10 Year Member
It'd like to add The Last Blade. It's shocking how well Saurus was able to evoke the original, and it has plenty of extras to discover.

Dark Arms is good stuff, too. It has a nice spooky Castlevania-ish atmosphere and a weapon system that works like an RPG level-builder.

I also played Ganbare Neo Poke-Kun, and it's definitely one of the most interesting things on the NGPC. It beat Wario Ware to the punch by a few years, and it has this inscrutable, uncontrolled weirdness about it that I really like. I feel a little sorry for Poke-Kun, though. Guy's just stuck in his one-room apartment with his naughty pin-ups and his game machine.