Best Neo Geo Pocket games

Cyclops

Mr. Big's Thug
Is the SNK version different enough from the Capcom one to justify a purchase?

Only if you're OCD and want all the cards! It's like Pokemon. A few cards are only exclusive to one version and I believe there are some cards that you can only get via trading with another person.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Only if you're OCD and want all the cards! It's like Pokemon. A few cards are only exclusive to one version and I believe there are some cards that you can only get via trading with another person.

It's such a great game, though, that it's a complete joy to play through multiple times. You might as well go through both versions if you're going to do that. You might also be able to convince a friend to play through it (and become interested in vs. battles) if you have multiple copies of the game.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Neo Turf Master's and Metal Slug 1st and 2nd Mission are my personal faves. I can sink hrs into NTM easily.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I've been playing the Card Fighter's Clash. Still one of my favorites. Are the Dive Alert games any good? Doesn't look like my cup of tea but I don't want to sleep on any Sacnoth games since I do love me some Shadow Hearts.

You should try CFC2, it's even better than the first.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Beast Buster Dark Arms is a helluvah game.

Great shit.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I've been meaning to try that one out. Maybe I'll try a NGPC emu on the PSP and see how well that works.

I don't play my cart anymore so maybe I'll sell it to someone. I have to check pricing on the programmable cart first and make a label but I can't print color stuff.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
So far these are the best games someone must pick:
Metal Slug 1st mission
Metal slug 2nd mission
SNK vs Capcom match of the Millenium
SNK vs Capcom Clash Fighters 1 & 2
Samurai Shodown 2
Last Blade
Gals' Fighters
Sonic pocket adventures
Biomotor Unitron
Fasalei!
Puzzle Link 1 & 2
Magical drop
Picture Puzzle
Fatal Fury
King of the Fighters R2

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
What about the controls. On Samurai 2 Haomaru's dragon punch like move is very difficult to perform.

I find all DP's with that thumbstick difficult. At least from a standing position. I have to either jump into them or just repeat the DP until I pull it off. It's not exactly proficient.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
As to the monochrome question: some of the games that are not backwards compatible give you some small "secrets" if you insert them into a NGP. I'd keep the system for that, also it's cool to have for the b/w titles, they look a little better on it than the NGPC IMO.
Spoiler:
SNK vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium (NEOP0069) displays various small tableaus involving Capcom and SNK characters discussing the fact that the game can't be played on a B&W system.

Delta Warp (NEOP0103) pretends to boot up to a A:\> prompt like a DOS machine and "boot" DELTAWARP.EXE (but fails, of course).

King of Fighters: Battle de Paradise (NEOP0092) has a special mini-game that is only playable on a B&W Neo Geo Pocket. The game is called Yo-Sa-Ku and was SNK's first game, originally released in Japanese arcades in 1979 and distributed by Sega. Battle de Paradise is otherwise not playable on a B&W system.

Cool Boarder Pocket (NEOP0075) has a normal "The soft is only for Neo Geo Pocket Color" screen, but pressing the Option button allows you to cycle through all the game's music tracks, so it functions as sort of a sound test.

Evolution: Eternal Dungeons (NEOP0082/0099) initially presents a screen saying, "For use by Neo Geo Pocket Color Only," but you can just press the A button to bypass that screen and start a game.
http://www.pocketfuel.co.uk/ngpc/ngpc_faq.html#Q25

For the mono one the 1st Samurai Shodown is really cool << https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYbWQuzzjzY
all the good games have already been listed, so off topic: I've been trying to find a cart for a sane price for some time, no luck so far. Anyone got a clue :mr_t:

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
all the good games have already been listed, so off topic: I've been trying to find a cart for a sane price for some time, no luck so far. Anyone got a clue :mr_t:

Unless you are after the english version, this should be pretty easy to find!? The price for the japanese version has risen a bit, but you should manage to find it for about $30. Check ckchan's page. He has a complete copy for that price actually (and also some cheap Rockmans too).

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I am dumb and only checked his site for MVS titles. Thanks.

ne7

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
I always felt the ngp/c stick was fantastic... v easy to do the moves ;) prob the best handheld joypad of all time...

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Furthermore Samurai Spirits 2 is unoriginal. Where are Earthquake, Sieger and some others. Instead there some fighter never seen before.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Furthermore Samurai Spirits 2 is unoriginal. Where are Earthquake, Sieger and some others. Instead there some fighter never seen before.

Asura, Taizan, Shiki, and Yuga are from Samurai Shodown 64. The rest of the fighters are series mainstays. Also, by definition, doesn't the inclusion of "never before seen fighters" mean that the game is original?

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Asura, Taizan, Shiki, and Yuga are from Samurai Shodown 64. The rest of the fighters are series mainstays. Also, by definition, doesn't the inclusion of "never before seen fighters" mean that the game is original?
Someone would expect to see MVS's Samurai Spirits 2 line up.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
The NGPC Samurai Shodowns are 'ports' of the Hyper Neo Geo 64 games (SS64 ans SS64:2) hence the character lineup and the story. They have nothing to do with the Neo Geo SS1 and SS2.

MoriyaMinakata

Stakes Winner 2
15 Year Member
My personal favorites are SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighter's Clash (SNK) and The Last Blade (I seem to have an almost unhealthy attachment to LB games...)

The Metal Slug games for NGP felt kinda awkward to me.

Big Al

Rugal's Thug
Puzzle Bobble got me through a few Trans Atlantic flights as did Neo Turf Masters. Those were my favourites and i also loved the Metal Slug games.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Match of the Millennium plays fantastically. Metal Slug 2nd mission has perfect gameplay, a little different from classic Neo Geo games but awesome. I couldn't imagine it plays so fluently. Super addictive. Far better than GBA Metal Slug Advance and DS Metal Slug 7.
I have to try also 1st Mission to see if feels the same with the 2nd.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Someone would expect to see MVS's Samurai Spirits 2 line up.

Not in 2000, when the most recent Sam Sho was Asura Zanmaden. SS!2 reflected Asura Zanmaden and for the time it was released, it was well received by the real fans of SNK.

Pocketgamer

Ukyo's Doctor
15 Year Member
Don't waste your time for shooters its cotton followed by metal slug, for tactical is faselei, for fighting its match of the millenium and for adventure sonic is alright.