Best games for MAC (steam, etc.)

mookystains

Chairman Kaga sez, "Dakis-san's the one who's goin
Heyo
Sorry if there is a previous thread of this.
Anyways, for the first time in years, I bought a new laptop and I was wondering what good games are out there for a newer mac, steam or otherwise. Nothing crazy, Ive got a PS4 for the heavy lifting mind you.
I'm on the road for a living, usually in the back of a van for hours on end and need something to keep me from loosing my mind.

I downloaded Starbound and Besiege today, both of which Im having a really hard time getting into.
Any other suggestions????

EDIT: is it just me or is the learning curve on both those games insanely high?

Last edited:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Heyo
Anyways, for the first time in years, I bought a new laptop and I was wondering what good games are out there for a newer mac, steam or otherwise. Nothing crazy, Ive got a PS4 for the heavy lifting mind you.
I'm on the road for a living, usually in the back of a van for hours on end and need something to keep me from loosing my mind.

I downloaded Starbound and Besiege today, both of which Im having a really hard time getting into.

MOOK! what's up my dude?

mookystains

MOOK! what's up my dude?

Ah, got a bit older, dont play games as much but every so often something comes around that gets me excited.

Im a professional musician these days, relocated to LA, playing drums, touring 'round the world half of the year, relaxing the other half.

GOOD GIG!

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
Heyo

EDIT: is it just me or is the learning curve on both those games insanely high?

I only have this games installed on my macbook... Hotline Miami, Limbo, walking dead season 1 and portal.
The 3 first should work well with your description...

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Beseige isn't meant to be challenging. You are just supposed to build silly machines to do basic tasks. That game is a riot.
Starbound does have a learning curve, but it's a great game for long trips. It helps to watch an intro How-to-Play on youtube. Just mine and mine, and see what you find.

Hit the OS-X compatible button on Steam. It will show what's available.
Portal 2
Civ 5
Borderlands 2
Dont Starve
Cave Story

Last edited:

PigInTheMud

Tarma's Gun Polisher
^ Cave Story is a must! My friends and I have been playing a lot of Brawlhalla and that's been a lot of fun if you can get an open beta key. Hotline Miami is also a great game on steam for Mac

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
You might want to go on kickass.to and look for the fall out games for Mac. Other than that I have battle net for playing Blizzard games. The south park stick of truth game is great on the Mac.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
Rogue Legacy
Shovel Knight
VVVVVV

Last edited:

mookystains

Beseige isn't meant to be challenging. You are just supposed to build silly machines to do basic tasks. That game is a riot.
Starbound does have a learning curve, but it's a great game for long trips. It helps to wait an intro on How-to-Play on youtube. Just mine and mine, and see what you find.

Hit the OS-X compatible button on Steam. It will show what's available.
Portal 2
Civ 5
Borderlands 2
Dont Starve
Cave Story

Im STARTING to understand besiege's mechanics, just simple things like figuring out key mapping for wheels was killing me.
I kinda dove into Starbound last night....can see myself killing hours and hours on the road with this one.

Thanks for suggestions everyone.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
papers please. i still play the hell out of it.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Dan, glad to hear that music has been working out for you.

Anyways, you should check out Machinarium, it's a point-and-click adventure from 2009, actually the first game I got when I bought my Macbook Pro, just for the road and stuff too. I think you'll like it. Also there are OSX compatible versions of Fallout 1 and 2 available from GoG, I think.

Screenshot:
Spoiler:
machinarium-wallpaper-plaza-1920x1200.jpg

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Could always give the paradox strategy games a go if that is your thing. Can't go wrong with crusader kings 2.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
FIST OF AWESOME
Legend of Grimrock
McPixel

Every other Steam game already mentioned.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Guacemelee Super Turbo Championship Edition,if you really enjoy metroidvania it's really worth checking out.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I second Grimrock and Machinarium. Great games.

Not sure if mac compatible but I recommend the following.

Sword and Sorcery EP
Torchlight (part 1 is one player only, but awesome. much better than diablo III, but not II)
Trine 2
Child of Light
Baldur's Gate II
The Typing of the Dead (lots of workshop content)
Chime (cool puzzle game)

And I do not have Half Life Black Mesa, but I bet it's awesome.

Last edited:

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Half-Life et. al. are damn good, and work fine on Mac (and Linux too). Valve's entire catalog (up until 2010 or so, when they started drinking the F2P koolaid) is golden.

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
I'm running occasionally Raiden 3 and Crimzon Clover with some Wine Wrappers, kind of awkward shit. It's a setback to dig some games but they're only available in Windows. Haven't been able to make work Windows Cho-Ren-Sha, for example.

So I'm on the verge of putting a second hard drive in the MBP and dual boot it. End of the problem. I think it'll resolve my MAME problems too, Openemu is beautiful but I remember mameing being easier and somewhat more complete (in terms of filtering and shit) on Windows.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I like Grim Fandango on Steam, but it's also available on gog. If you like old FPS, there's dengine for your doom/heretic/hexen needs, or darkplaces for quake.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I have a Mac for video production, and the only games I play on it are Blizzard games. I feel like they tend to be more stable on a Mac, but it depends on which PC you're comparing it to.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I second Hotline Miami, Rogue Legacy, and OlliOlli, but both are on PS4 as well.

In addition, I recommend these:

LUFTRAUSERS (also on PS3 & Vita)
Risk of Rain
Westerado: Double Barreled
Kentycky Route Zero