Best Arcade ports of the Ghosts n' Goblins / Ghouls and Ghosts series?

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
What are the best arcade ports of these games? I think later games only came out on consoles then if I'm not mistaken.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Ghouls n ghosts best port is most likely the X68000 version. But the MD version is spot on gameplay wise. You can practice on the MD version and play just the same on the PCB. Haven't spent any time on the supergrafx version but I don't like the way it sounds or looks.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
For a console I still like the Saturn release followed by the genesis version.
68k has always been considered the best from what I've researched.

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
I didn't know it was an emulated version.

I've read a lot of times it was "arcade perfect".

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Haven't spent any time on the supergrafx version but I don't like the way it sounds or looks.

you fucking savage.

also i love the sms version of ghouls and ghosts- its far from perfect, but it is the king of the 8-bit home ports.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Are ports from that era truly considered "emulation"?

What's the criteria?

If I'm not mistaken, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Generations series had the bootup sequence that was present in the PCB. The Gradius Deluxe Pack does the same thing. I would take this as it was emulation, I'm sure they could code a emulator that only did those actual games instead of trying to many games like MAME now does and run them at full speed. Megaman X3 on Saturn is what I would consider a port, only because, my god, the resolution is so off on it. I consider a port taking the code and squeezing it onto a system that was not intended for the game. SFA 2 for the SNES is a good example. The Namco museum games are another set of titles that I believe are emulation as well. I may have misunderstood what Berry was looking for. A port to me is something that is running on a system using code specifically for that system, whereas emulation is merely copying what the original hardware did in the first place. My posts sound confusing :(

:lolz: I guess I never thought of it that way seeing as the game was mostly likely coded on the X68K.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
If I'm not mistaken, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Generations series had the bootup sequence that was present in the PCB. The Gradius Deluxe Pack does the same thing. I would take this as it was emulation, I'm sure they could code a emulator that only did those actual games instead of trying to many games like MAME now does and run them at full speed. Megaman X3 on Saturn is what I would consider a port, only because, my god, the resolution is so off on it. I consider a port taking the code and squeezing it onto a system that was not intended for the game. SFA 2 for the SNES is a good example. The Namco museum games are another set of titles that I believe are emulation as well. I may have misunderstood what Berry was looking for. A port to me is something that is running on a system using code specifically for that system, whereas emulation is merely copying what the original hardware did in the first place. My posts sound confusing :(

:lolz: I guess I never thought of it that way seeing as the game was mostly likely coded on the X68K.

Lots of Saturn games were made from the ground up. Sonic Jam and most of the ages series were redone for the Saturn and not a simple port. As far as the capcom collection, I really don't think the Saturn is powerful enough to emulate CPS1, but its entirely possible that it is.

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
The Saturn port is not emulation, its an actual port and it is not 100% faithful to the arcade, the system does not have enough power to emulate a CPS1, Neogeo, or even the Megadrive;

All the graphics had to be redrawn to match Saturn resolution (Saturn cannot run at CPS1 resolution =384x224) some detail is missing in the process, proof of that are Arthur's feets in the first level do not hide behind the grass when you duck like in the arcade.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
But is the grass in front or in the back? XD

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I've always loved both the Megadrive and Master System ports of this game, I've played all the way through both of them many times.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I probably play the Genesis version most often, because that system is perpetually hooked up on my Yodd Industries scart switchbox, but the Saturn version is way better in my opinion. Plus you get all three games on one disc.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'm a big fan of the Supergrafx version. I personally like it better than the Genesis version.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I'm a big fan of the Supergrafx version. I personally like it better than the Genesis version.

Make it 2.

It's just a pain in the arse the way enemies respawn. They never cease to appear!
They're all great versions. Probably one of the games that has been decently ported to any system regardless of technical specs.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
If I'm remembering right the biggest problem with the SuperGrafx version is that it limits you to 5 continues total. Which makes it a bit of a nightmare to play through the whole game.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
If I'm remembering right the biggest problem with the SuperGrafx version is that it limits you to 5 continues total. Which makes it a bit of a nightmare to play through the whole game.

6wsNW26JBKyahxtcdmu2klWhl73yi.jpg

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy
Played the Supergrafx version recently and it felt like butter. I haven't played the Genesis version but just looking at youtube videos of it seems like the Supergrafx one is the way to go

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member

Continues are for little kids. Time for you to become a man.