Baseball Stars 2 is on Steam

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
"I already gotz teh rom" 2016 edition?

It's the same as the SNK Humble bundle. A vast majority of the games were just Roms running on an awful frontened with no graphics options. People were justifying the purchase as a "legal way to own Roms". What ever makes you feel better I guess.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Are they going to add online later? because I already got MS2 and it has no online too (the other slugs have it).

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Are they going to add online later? because I already got MS2 and it has no online too (the other slugs have it).

Yeah the lack of multiplayer with the new crop of Roms is odd. All the older ones have it.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Shock Poopers is on Steam now as well. $8. Supposedly has online co-op. Made by Dotemu so I'm not holding my breath.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
I'm getting tired of these Dotemu releases. Not only is it just emulation, it's not even good emulation. Metal Slug 3 had such horrible sound with the pitch changing all the time.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'm obviously new here, but dotemu blowing aside, at least with the Humble Bundle versions that were stand alones with ripped ROM packages, isn't that not such a bad deal from that aspect? I don't know how the Steam version is handled behind their front end loading DRM wall, but the GoG release is the straight off the board ROM package in a zip file. I can't say I feel too bad about paying less than a buck a game in that package deal half a year ago for the ROMS even if their emulated front end/emulator package is crap. Maybe my grasp of the law is not the best, but I'd think since I paid for those in the bundle I own the ROMs within, and I could easily do whatever from repair a board re-flashing the proper data to using it in a less crappy emulator say for my Android tablet on the go.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
why are multiple people seriously considering paying money for roms

i'm 100% serious

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I can't speak for anyone else, but I like Neo Geo games enough and since I don't have the carts on the whole, nor a device to copy them off such carts, I have no issue paying under a dollar a game for ownership of a rom set. Yes I realize I could just google any popular rom site and just download the stuff and I do that anyway for any cart I pick up as it is. Would I pay the going full price rate on Steam or whatever? Not a chance. Dotemu sucks, but if they did another round of NG games they didn't do in that first bundle where it was like 50 cents a game again I'd do it.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
so you're not cool with downloading roms but you are cool with paying a shitty company you say 'sucks' to download them for you?

Tanooki

War Room Troll
When you put it that way, actually yes to the second part of it. I'm find downloading ROMS, do it all the time to try out stuff I'm curious about and have for like 20 years. I just saw it as a cheap sub dollar gateway into owning some ROMs SNK was peddling through dotemu. Legal gray areas aside and all that about downloading games you own, since you're not making the copy yourself, it's a way to own the ROM itself without the cartridge and legitimately pop that into an emulator like neo.emu on my tablet for general use on the go. I don't have a problem with that at all.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
When you put it that way, actually yes to the second part of it. I'm find downloading ROMS, do it all the time to try out stuff I'm curious about and have for like 20 years. I just saw it as a cheap sub dollar gateway into owning some ROMs SNK was peddling through dotemu. Legal gray areas aside and all that about downloading games you own, since you're not making the copy yourself, it's a way to own the ROM itself without the cartridge and legitimately pop that into an emulator like neo.emu on my tablet for general use on the go. I don't have a problem with that at all.

Well, to each his own I guess...

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Pretty much. I just don't have the hang up over it. I figure I paid for a ROM set that just happened to have a crap emulator tied to it, and it just so happens not to be on a legit SNK board which I don't have an issue with. The price was so small I figured why not. I don't see why the hostility over it other than dislike of dotemu. It was a humble package donation, and as far as it goes I didn't give dotemu a penny since you can pick how the donation goes so it's not like I rewarded them.