Bare Knuckle 3 > Streets of Rage 2 // edit: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SoR1

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
*unzips, plops unit in mashed potatoes*

I love the passion with which people argue about their fave beat 'em ups. I know Kunai agrees with you wholeheartedly, he adores DDA.

I myself am an original arcade Final Fight man to the last. I love SoR2, DDA, etc, but Final Fight for me just takes the cake. I think it has the best character design, atmosphere, and play mechanics of any of the above-mentioned games, and really set the bar for all future games in the genre.

No one should ever mention the 'straight-to-video' accidents known as FF2 and 3.
They are abominations neither worthy of the SNES nor the Final Fight name.

Battlesmurf

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Yeah- SOR3 was a shitty job. BK3 was LEAGUES better. I honestly think people would be bitching less if more (and better) work had been done on SOR3 it would have more fans.

http://www.rpgclassics.com/subsites/twit/bk3/bk3.html

I am going to have a cartridge produced for me when this patch is done- really looking forward to it.

That being said- SOR2 was a pack in title at some point- and SOR3 was towards the end of the lifespan of the Genny, no? I'd take a guess that nostalgia and availability has a way of bending people's expectations and making them think 2 is better. Memory is also telling me SOR3 was towards the end of the beat em up craze and less attention got paid to it. 2 is great- but anybody who has played 3 with me appreciates the fighting system quite a bit more.

Eh- but then again my memory is crap and I'm a crazy ass dude- this just could be one of those Metal Slug 2-x, SamSho 2-3, KOF xx-xx debates that everybody loves so much- nobody will really change their stance : )

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
I love the passion with which people argue about their fave beat 'em ups. I know Kunai agrees with you wholeheartedly, he adores DDA.

I myself am an original arcade Final Fight man to the last. I love SoR2, DDA, etc, but Final Fight for me just takes the cake. I think it has the best character design, atmosphere, and play mechanics of any of the above-mentioned games, and really set the bar for all future games in the genre.

No one should ever mention the 'straight-to-video' accidents known as FF2 and 3.
They are abominations neither worthy of the SNES nor the Final Fight name.

I found FF2 and 3 nothing spectacular, but they were fun little games. I certainly had more fun with them than SoR1, that's for sure. And FF3 had a nicely sped-up combat system. It was just hampered by a lack of any oomph with bosses or stages. But, you gotta admit, they were more Final Fight than Streetwise was.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I want to play Streetwise out of morbid curiosity.

I'm sure I'd have fun with it, in a dumb way.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
I want to play Streetwise out of morbid curiosity.

I'm sure I'd have fun with it, in a dumb way.

It is, to a point. Once you start getting further into the story, though, all you want to do is make the pain go away.

Gotenks326

Chin's Bartender
I really don't see why people make SoR3 to be such a shit game. It is personally my favorite in the series. I think the added difficulty of SoR3 compared to Bare Knuckle 3 is nice and keeps things challenging. Yes, the colors of the outfits of the main characters have been altered (oh noes!!!), and yes the box art is different, but who gives a shit, really. I guess I can understand the weaker story, but it's fucking beat 'em up, not an RPG or anything. I think SoR3 does a more than adequate job of getting you involved in a story to keep you wanting to play.

Unless there are other significant changes I'm unaware of, I think the only disappointing thing about SoR3 is that it doesn't have Ash, which I'll admit does suck :( But still, SoR3 is still a solid game.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
He is right. Like Darth Vader at the end of Jedi: "Tell your sister, you were riiiiight..." I liked Double Dragon well enough at my local 7-11, and the first NES game was okay for a couple giggles... but really, Final Fight came out and I never looked back. Not once. Until the GBA game came out. And even then, I only picked it up on a whim. But holy shit is it incredible. It beats all my previous favorites like Final Fight 1 and Aliens vs. Predator pretty easily, which surprised the shit out of me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifP-P1B83XI

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Alright you crazy SON OF A BITCH

DDA is awesome but NOT BETTER THAN AVP
You know what? It is. I wrestled with this for a while, but I finally had to admit that DDA is better than AvP. This is not something I say lightly or in any way joyfully.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
BK3 lol I keep thinking of Burger King.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Sorry street of rage 2 was and still is king of the console side scrollers, followed by part 1. Bare knuckles/SOR3 is garbage, even the homebrew remake is better than 3

AVP/DD2 are king in the arcade.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Sorry street of rage 2 was and still is king of the console side scrollers, followed by part 1. Bare knuckles/SOR3 is garbage, even the homebrew remake is better than 3

AVP/DD2 are king in the arcade.

Next to BK3, Sor2 feels as dated as Sor1.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Next to BK3, Sor2 feels as dated as Sor1.
I never played 3, but after this thread inspired me to watch some gameplay videos on youtube, I have to agree that 3 at least looks worlds better than 2. Graphics look better, animation looks better. And SoR1 looks like it belongs to a different console.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
The fact that your don't care for the SOR2 soundtrack makes me rage. :very_ang:

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
SoR2 soundtracks makes up for the monotony of the gameplay. This thread is blasphemy.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
never really cared much for the bare knuckle series
i don't get the love it seems to be getting from some of you
i liked (and still like) the megadrive for other types of games

the point is : it's a *console scrolling beat 'em up*
every *console scrolling beat 'em up* is boring and,sorry to be harsh,pretty unnecessary

sure,bare knuckle II or III are better than...i dunno...final fight on the sfc
but sfc final fight and final fight tough or 2 are utter trash..

if you want to play a proper "scrolling brawler" you can only play an arcade game
this is a supreme truth and no one can deny it

but,after all is said and done,i personally believe that bk 2 > 3 :D:

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
never really cared much for the bare knuckle series
i don't get the love it seems to be getting from some of you
You're not the only one, man. I love Streets of Rage as much as the next guy, but graphically it's a joke that suffers from being limited by the Genesis hardware and has gameplay which is just the same as every other post-Final Fight beat-'em-up. I'm always willing to give credit to the guys who made the series, because they took what they had to work with and made it better than just about anyone else could; SOR/BK, just like the rest of the stand-out Genesis titles, made for a good gameplay experience.

But comparing ANY SOR/BN game to, say, Final Fight CD, is a fucking joke. They were good games when either 1) one only had a Genesis; or 2) SNES beat-'em-ups still were being programmed to be exclusively single-player, but otherwise were merely "solid" games. Like comparing Ninja Combat to Metal Slug, something being of quality design and execution doesn't automatically make it somehow "superior" or "inferior," but once a game comes-out which clearly gets everything "right" or "almost right," then it's repeat-worthy.

Playable? Of course. Fun with friends? Hell yeah. Cool story and atmosphere? Most definitely. But SOR/BN games were never "best in class"...that is, unless you were a Genesis fanboy.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You're not the only one, man. I love Streets of Rage as much as the next guy, but graphically it's a joke that suffers from being limited by the Genesis hardware and has gameplay which is just the same as every other post-Final Fight beat-'em-up. I'm always willing to give credit to the guys who made the series, because they took what they had to work with and made it better than just about anyone else could; SOR/BK, just like the rest of the stand-out Genesis titles, made for a good gameplay experience.

But comparing ANY SOR/BN game to, say, Final Fight CD, is a fucking joke. They were good games when either 1) one only had a Genesis; or 2) SNES beat-'em-ups still were being programmed to be exclusively single-player, but otherwise were merely "solid" games. Like comparing Ninja Combat to Metal Slug, something being of quality design and execution doesn't automatically make it somehow "superior" or "inferior," but once a game comes-out which clearly gets everything "right" or "almost right," then it's repeat-worthy.

Playable? Of course. Fun with friends? Hell yeah. Cool story and atmosphere? Most definitely. But SOR/BN games were never "best in class"...that is, unless you were a Genesis fanboy.

I don't know who in this thread you were trying to criticize, but the point was not to say Sor3/2 was best in class, but that one game in a series was better than the other.

I'm glad you got some of that venom out though. Sounds like you have a bias or two.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
I don't know who in this thread you were trying to criticize, but the point was not to say Sor3/2 was best in class, but that one game in a series was better than the other.
I got that from your post, and no, it wasn't directed at you, but the seemingly ridiculous amount of people who think that the SOR series is some kind of pinnacle of beat-'em-up gaming. Again, I've got no problem with respecting them as solid titles but c'mon, a look at much of the talk in this thread (particularly the idea that SOR2 is an epoch of sorts)...

mainman said:
was and still is king of the console side scrollers, followed by part 1.
Mercenary X99 said:
Bare Knuckle 2 is king of the wolf pack!...The whole idea that Bare Knuckle 2 can even be dethroned is simply absurd.
Spike Spiegel said:
SOR2 is just amazing.

...that's what has me shaking my head. No hate for the series, just wonderment as to how it is respected on so high a level.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Just posting to offer my support to Rade.

First SOR game I ever played was 3, then 2. SOR2 felt like a bit of a downgrade in the gameplay tbh.

-Too much electronica in the soundtrack though so I'll concede to the general consensus of 2 having a better soundtrack.

-And Roo took nothing from the seriousness of the plot; animal cruelty is no fucking joke.

-Dr. Zan is fucking whack though...a pis poor substitute for Adam OR Max. :(