Bands/Songs You Hated Growing Up, But Love Now

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Here are a couple of mine:

I was watching old episodes of Daria last night, and one of the eps had the Lightning Seeds' cover of "You Showed Me" play at the end. I remember not being a huge fan of the song then, but when I listened to it again, I really enjoyed it.

Pet Shop Boys - I couldn't stand them as a kid, yet they're one of my favorite groups now. When I was in my teens, I started listening to them and going "hey, this is kind of awesome". Dunno why I randomly began to enjoy them, though.

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
The Beatles. Hated them growing up, love them now. I heard Blackbird for the first time a few weeks ago and it got me to explore some of the stuff you don't hear on the radio all the time.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Pet Shop Boys - I couldn't stand them as a kid, yet they're one of my favorite groups now. When I was in my teens, I started listening to them and going "hey, this is kind of awesome". Dunno why I randomly began to enjoy them, though.

Was it this?

Bands that took a while to appreciate:

Throbbing Gristle
Psychic TV
Fine Young Cannibals
Roxy Music

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Pretty much the whole death metal genre. Love it now.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Some nirvana.
on the whole i don't really like them, but i'll listen to their songs if they pop on the radio now.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Throbbing Gristle

Gristle started as a novelty for me, but I've grown to really dig them. They bring out a lot deep feelings and emotions in their music.

Bjork for sure would be someone that took me a long time to enjoy

I think I've had more of the reverse of loving bands and hating them now such as...well basically almost the entire genre of metal especially Nu Metal.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Fuck yeah, Throbbing Gristle kicks ass.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Bjork is cool. I didn't appreciate her until I got older.

Also, Tom Waits. Used to hate him when I was young. Now he's a fucking beautiful genius.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
word! I guess I never disliked her, I just didn't care about her... now I think she kicks ass.

its a pretty unique voice, but once it clicks you realize just how amazing it all is.

Antony and the Johnsons has a similar vibe to me. I HATED him at first, but now im completely moved by him

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I kinda wanna hear Bjork's material when she was in an all-girl punk band called Spit & Snot.

Yue

Baseball Star Hitter
Actually I like less things now than I did then.

Can I talk about things I hated then and hate even more now?

Oh wait...the list would be too long...

Well, maybe some music in spanish my aunt played everyday to wake me up. I know I hated it then (because it meant waking up and getting ready to go to school) and now it's just alright.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
The Beatles. Hated them growing up, love them now. I heard Blackbird for the first time a few weeks ago and it got me to explore some of the stuff you don't hear on the radio all the time.

Well I never actually HATED the Beatles, but I didn't really care for them much growing up. To be honest, what changed my opinion and made me check out their whole discography was watching Yellow Submarine. Which kinda is a greatest hits of sorts, and I was tripping on mushrooms. But I'm really glad I gave the movie a shot, because it helped to really introduce me to some of the other not so poppy songs that I love. Although, now I like almost all their songs. They make some catchy tunes. The Beatles are one of my favorite bands now. That experience also got me to check out more Led Zeppelin (which I never hated, just never really got into them) and love them as well now.

A better example for me would be The Cure. Growing up I thought they were pretty dumb. Then a few years back I decided to check out some of their stuff after seeing them play "A Hundred Years" live on TV. I thought, "oh not everything they play is like Friday I'm in love". Then I got the album, and loved it. Then got more, and love most of them as well. They are now on pretty heavy rotation.

Another good one for me would be Depeche Mode, the album "Black Celebration" was the one that got me hooked. Kinda reminded me of "Pretty Hate Machine" for some reason. Most of their albums from that point on, are pretty cool if you ask me.

Bjork is a good mention too. Once I gave her a chance and bought Homogenic. All of her albums are pretty cool if you ask me, although Volta is probably her weakest IMO.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member

A better example for me would be The Cure. Growing up I thought they were pretty dumb. Then a few years back I decided to check out some of their stuff after seeing them play "A Hundred Years" live on TV. I thought, "oh not everything they play is like Friday I'm in love". Then I got the album, and loved it. Then got more, and love most of them as well. They are now on pretty heavy rotation.
<3 I didn't realize the beauty of Just Like Heaven until I was like 16.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Rolling Stones.

Them, and King Crimson. My sis (who is four years older than me) got In The Court of the Crimson King from one of her friends and played it for hours and I couldn't stand it at all, now I love their cool artsy-fartsy art rock a lot.

About the Stones, I didn't really hate them when I was a kid, just couldn't understand why some adults loved them so much. Then their album Beggars Banquet (the one with Sympathy for the Devil and Street Fighting Man) changed my mind forever.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I love 90's "alternative" now.

Never really cared for much of it as a kid.
Nostalgia.

Last edited:

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Country music, too much twang, mostly downtrodden storytelling music.

I still don't love it, but I enjoy it more now than I use to.

Johnny Cash, Josh Turner, Rascal Flatts, Darius Rucker...all good stuff.