Atomiswave

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
So I've been looking at the Atomiswave, are MS6 and SS6 worth getting a mobo for? How are the other SNK games? What are the current prices for legit cards?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Atomiswave really isnt worth getting if you own the games on ps2 already. Ive owned the Atomiswave twice and sold it twice. I love the system and games just never enough to keep. If I had another candy cab I probably would make it a dedicated atomiswave FOTNS.

I think SS6 is pretty good. Ms6 is ok. Never played Dolphin Blue. Guilty Gear X is just like the ps2 version and is getting harder to find. The Rumble Fish fighting games aren't bad. FOTNS is my favorite. Knights of Valor is a pretty fun beat'm up. NEOGEO BC is good. Kof XI is good. Like I said up on top, if you have these games on the ps2 it really isn't worth buying.

Its getting harder to find legit carts. Some legit carts can run you 150+.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Honestly, I'd say it's only worth the cash of you're willing to dabble in bootlegs. The mobos don't cost much, but some of the games have silly prices. I hate to advocate filthy bootleggerie, but that's the only reason I have one, the games I really like for it costs to much otherwise.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Atomiswave is rad, but you need the right setup for it. It needs to be played in 31Khz and with a dedicated five button or more CP. I run one in a NetCity and the system looks amazing. When you see games like Fist of the North Star or Rumble Fish 2 (even KoF XI) running in 31khz, they're a sight to be seen when you consider the hardware they run on. It's hard to believe it's just a cart-based Dreamcast sometimes.

Legit games are decently price for all but a few titles, namely SS6, MS6, Rumble Fish 2 and Guilty Gear X v1.5. Everything else is in the sub $100 range a cart, and even then you can find many games on eBay in the $30 range if you're patient. You do have to be wary of bootlegs, though, as even most sellers either can't spot them or are crooks and won't tell you what you're getting. You'll have to educate yourself on how to spot a fake before you drop some coin. Especially on Sam Shodown 6 or Metal Slug 6, as spending $200+ for one of those and getting a fake won't be fun.

SS6, MS6, GGX1.5, RF2 are in the $200 to $200+ range, everything else is decently priced, including Fist of the Northstar which you can find pretty regularly under $100 for a legit cart.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I doubt those carts are legit. There are a few online stores that all of a sudden acquired a bunch of atomiswave carts for decent prices.
I remember a few years ago when you couldn't find a MS6 or FOTNS for under $150. If they play just like the originals then I don't see what the problem is in buying them.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I doubt those carts are legit. There are a few online stores that all of a sudden acquired a bunch of atomiswave carts for decent prices.
I remember a few years ago when you couldn't find a MS6 or FOTNS for under $150. If they play just like the originals then I don't see what the problem is in buying them.

The only time it's a problem is when you pay $40 or so for a bootleg when a legit cart costs the same or just a few dollars more. I've seen a few people on here looking to buy bootleg Battle Coliseum, or King of Fighters XI carts for $45, and you can easily find legit carts for that price. However, if you just want to bootleg the games in an arcade setup, just get a Naomi and netboot them, since they're almost all available and running in that format now. Fuck paying people for bootlegs.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
I wish they would just make a bootleg atomis cart with all the games on it, maybe charge $80 to $100 for it

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
As mentioned or eluded to already, it kind of depends how you're going to run it. On a cab with a trisync or a straight 31k monitor, the Atomiswave shines.

My mobo was an impulse buy with about 5 games and I use that thing on my Blast City way more than I thought I would. It looks fantastic and the games (although a pretty small library) for the most part are pretty fun. Hokuto no Ken, MS6, Rumble Fish (thanks mjmjr25!) get regular play at my place. Dolphin Blue is a family fave that even my wife really likes and she really isn't into arcade games. ;)

Last edited:

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
It's the only way to play Demolish Fist and Dolphin Blue. For everything else, you're probably better off sticking with the PS2 versions. I wish Sushi Bar hadn't been canceled, it got really good trade show impressions.

There would definitely be a market for an Atomiswave multicart. It's just that the file sizes are much bigger than Neo games and I'm not sure if they could fit everything onto one.

Is Billy Pitt ever going to dump his Kenju proto cart, or at least show some video of it? It looks like it could almost be a long-lost Rival Schools game.

Last edited:

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
It's also the only way to play Rumble Fish 2 and (I think) KoV: 7 Spirits, though I could be wrong on the latter.

Kenju ain't happenin. Less somebody's got some super sweet underarm pr0n to give up the goods on... (Mikey, I'm looking at YOU)

Bottom Line: There's absolutely no reason to not look at the system...it shines at what it does (for the most part) and deserves a helluva lot better shake than most give it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
At kidpanda's suggestion I picked up Demolish Fist and played it with a bud for the first time last week and it's so much stupid fun. Highly recommended for 2p play.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
It's a great system; i think it's a shame that it never really caught on. I love Fist of the North Star for it, it's so over the top. I ran mine on a regular low res jamma arcade cabinet and it still looked stunning. The only' downside' is the fact that it's not using a kick-harness, you have to modify your jamma harness to add buttons 4-5, and it's something that I don't like.

I know that it has a vga output; but I never tried it myself; I remember reading some forum posts here or on another forum years ago that talked about how picky it is with lcd monitors.. Anyone has experience with it?

I paid 400$ for the mobo + Fist of the North Star with all the manuals , marquees and etc a couple of years ago, I HAVE NO REGRETS! .. Thanks God the cart wasnt a bootleg :S

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It's a great system; i think it's a shame that it never really caught on. I love Fist of the North Star for it, it's so over the top. I ran mine on a regular low res jamma arcade cabinet and it still looked stunning. The only' downside' is the fact that it's not using a kick-harness, you have to modify your jamma harness to add buttons 4-5, and it's something that I don't like.

I know that it has a vga output; but I never tried it myself; I remember reading some forum posts here or on another forum years ago that talked about how picky it is with lcd monitors.. Anyone has experience with it?

I paid 400$ for the mobo + Fist of the North Star with all the manuals , marquees and etc a couple of years ago, I HAVE NO REGRETS! .. Thanks God the cart wasnt a bootleg :S

I've used the vga output with a dell lcd monitor and it looked amazing.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I haven't tried it with LCD monitors, but it looks pretty damn good on my old Viewsonic CRT, and it looks AMAZING through the XRGB Mini on my plasma.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Talking about the atomiswave makes me want to get back into it.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I typically don't regret selling game stuff...but I do regret selling my consolized AW + games...I miss it alot :/

Maybe if I get a cab one day, I'll pick up a mobo and some games again...

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Just to confirm...what PS2 ports are available for AW games?

Metal Slug 6
Samurai Shodown 6
Rumble Fish
Fist of the North Star
Guilty Isuka
Guilty Gear X 1.5
Neo Geo Battle Colliseum

Anythimg else?

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I've got a NEC multisync monitor that states horizontal: 31kHz to 115 kHz, the AW should be able to display on that?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Just to confirm...what PS2 ports are available for AW games?

Metal Slug 6
Samurai Shodown 6
Rumble Fish
Fist of the North Star
Guilty Isuka
Guilty Gear X 1.5
Neo Geo Battle Colliseum

Anythimg else?

Kof XI
Kof neowave