Atari 600 XL

Cornerb0y

Krauser's Henchman
Hey guys, I just had a co worker give me his Atari 600 XL for free with NO hook ups. I have an rf I can use for it, but was wondering if I could use a Commodore 64 power supply with it. I don't want to attempt it just in case. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
My friend had one of those I think, gonna ask hin when I have the chance. Got any ratings at all?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
If I am not mistaken, a C64 power supply outputs both 5volts DC and 9 volts AC. Certainly not something you would want to use with the Atari.

The Atari 600XL requires just 5volts DC and many of the stock power supplies were around 1amp or so. Its trivial to build a replacement psu if you don't have one available. That one that Tak pointed out on eBay should work fine.

I would suggest buying an APE interface from AtariMax. It plugs into the SIO interface on the Atari and then either a USB or RS232 serial cable plugs into it (depending on model) and that goes to your PC. Install the APE software and then your PC can act as a huge virtual floppy drive, modem or even printer to your Atari computer. Tons of software available for Atari's 8 bit home computer. Be warned though, a stock Atari 600XL only has 16kb of ram and many software titles requires more. There are several inexpensive ram expanions available for it though. Also many software titles that you may download are in fact the PAL versions and either will run too fast on an NTSC machine, or not work correctly at all.

Cornerb0y

Krauser's Henchman
Thanks for the info guys. I planned on getting the APE interface and memory upgrade, but I don't want to get them until I get a power supply. Again, thank you!

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Thanks for the info guys. I planned on getting the APE interface and memory upgrade, but I don't want to get them until I get a power supply. Again, thank you!

Your very best resource for 8 bit Atari computers (in english) is the forums at AtariAge. The 8 bit computer section is one of their busiest and there is a mountain of knowledge over there. If its still available, I would go with the 320XL ram upgrade that ctirad designed and sells. Plugs into the PBI expansion port on the back of the machine and doesn't even require opening the computer or any soldering (which most internal ones will).

The 8 bit Atari computers are my fav 8 bit micros. I much prefer them over the C64.

Cornerb0y

Krauser's Henchman
I am a Commodore 64 man all the way. It's what I grew up on and I feel like a lot of the games play/look nicer on it. No offense to Atari at all, its a fantastic computer! Plus the SID chip!!!

clutch

Geese's Thug
Cool. I always wanted an 800XL. Ended up getting an Apple IIe instead which was probably better for me at the time. I'm currently trying to get one of each now. I have an 800, 800XL, and a 600XL.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Specs-wise, the Atari XL series was slightly ahead of the good old Commie (except for the SID of course). I also preferred the C64 over any other micro at that time but still, the XL had a lot of tricks up his sleeve that never got fully exploited. Good computer.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Plus the SID chip!!!

The POKEY sound chip in the Atari's could do some fantastic stuff too. In capable hands, I would say the POKEY is nearly as good as the SID and it predates the SID chip by several years.