Are there any ports you prefer over the Neo-Geo originals?

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
I dont prefer them per se but the MegaDrive/Genesis ports of Viewpoint and Fatal Fury are special from a nostalgia perspective to me. Fatal Fury in particular is a great port that lets you control the bosses. Viewpoint suffers from bad slowdown (which could have been avoided I beleive) but its a fun port

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
My pick goes for the DC port of Twinkle Star Sprites. It got rid of the somewhat annoying sprite limitation, though you can still activate it, if you want to.

KOF'96 for the GameBoy.
You mean '95? It's actually pretty good.
I dont prefer them per se but the MegaDrive/Genesis ports of Viewpoint and Fatal Fury are special from a nostalgia perspective to me. Fatal Fury in particular is a great port that lets you control the bosses. Viewpoint suffers from bad slowdown (which could have been avoided I beleive) but its a fun port
I love the VP port on the Genesis, 60fps - eat that PS1. It even features the Nazo Bug, I wrote about it here. If you truly love the original, you'll surely appreciate this port. For nostalgic reasons, I'd pick Super Baseball 2020 on the SNES. I played that a lot with a friend. It's a pretty good port, too.

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
Samurai Showdown for Genesis
And Fatal Fury 2 for Genesis aswell.

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I used to think the Arcade CDROM ports of Neo games on the PCE were the bees knees once upon a time, these days not so much. I do tend to favor ports from other arcade hardware on home consoles though, I can't be bothered with MAME or actual hardware most of the time.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I think I'm also going to pick Fatal Fury 2 for the Genesis/Megadrive. The Intro was pretty sweet, to.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Real Bout Dominated Mind is in one way preferable to Real Bout Special, it has no line change. The only reason it lacks line change, I’m pretty sure, is because cutting it helped with RAM limitations. Regardless a lot of people hate the line change stuff so maybe this is an improvement for those people.

Some people like those “Ultimate Match” versions of KOF that show up on the PlayStation or whatever. They add Strikers and characters and of course online move lists but I always end up liking the Neo one more, even if it’s running in an emulator.

Other that those I can’t think of any.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You mean '95? It's actually pretty good.
Did I stutter? I mean '96.

s-l640.jpg

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Cant remember if its World Heroes Perfect on the Saturn actually has a proper 6 button set up?

Forcing a quasi 6 button into the Neos 4 button always feels wrong to me and I avoid the originals because of that.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Ports of neo geo? not really....
Ikari warriors, but that wasn't neo geo.... just SNK.

Last edited:

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
Real Bout Special, Galaxy Fight, & Ragnagard for the Saturn... Well, sort of. Just on the basis of *way* better control scheme layout customization & peripheral variety(third party sticks/pads)

Last edited:

tangemo

New Challenger
Cant remember if its World Heroes Perfect on the Saturn actually has a proper 6 button set up?

Forcing a quasi 6 button into the Neos 4 button always feels wrong to me and I avoid the originals because of that.

Yup, I prefer the World Heroes ports on Snes and Saturn b/c of the proper 4 button and 6 button set ups. Feels good man.

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
I also like Dream match 99 for Dreamcast because of the anime intro, and KOF 01/02
for Dreamcast aswell back in 00s because that's the only way I could play and afford these titles.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I prefer KOF 98 for the Dreamcast, but I of course still have a huge soft spot/boner for KOF98.

It is THE pinnacle of of KOF, to me. Story missing be damned. Pin. Nick. Kull.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
KoF 98 on the Dreamcast plays like shit though. I really want to like the game to, but I don't know what happened there because all the other games ported to the Dreamcast play smooth as butter, where as Dream match 99 (98) is very stiff and you end up fighting the controls as much as you do the opponent. Play the Dreamcast port right after the original and you'll notice the difference.

And even as good as the the anime intro is on the Dremcast I still always thought the original KoF 98 intro was the best one in the series.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
KoF 98 on the Dreamcast plays like shit though. I really want to like the game to, but I don't know what happened there because all the other games ported to the Dreamcast play smooth as butter, where as Dream match 99 (98) is very stiff and you end up fighting the controls as much as you do the opponent. Play the Dreamcast port right after the original and you'll notice the difference.

And even as good as the the anime intro is on the Dremcast I still always thought the original KoF 98 intro was the best one in the series.

All the Dreamcast ports seemed fine and first but after going back and forth between them you start to get grossed out by the differences. The Saturn era of SNK ports played better but were overall always missing something, cut frames, missing samples, etc.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
not really.... Ikari warriors, but that wasn't neo geo.... just SNK.

So what port of Ikari did you play that you liked more than the original? Was there ever a good one before the collection that came out a few years ago? You surely aren’t talking about the NES version which was utter crap.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
All the Dreamcast ports seemed fine and first but after going back and forth between them you start to get grossed out by the differences. The Saturn era of SNK ports played better but were overall always missing something, cut frames, missing samples, etc.
I actually have no problem with rest of the SNK Dreamcast ports out side of Dream match 99 (98). I play KoF 2000 pretty often on the Dreamcast and love it.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Good topic.

I don't prefer any ports over the originals, but I do have a special place in my heart for the PS1 port of KOF95 and the SNES port of Fatal Fury Special. It was these two games that solidified my love of SNK and the Neo back in the mid-90's before I bought my first AES in 1998. I also remember getting the 3DO port of SS in January 1995 and being blown away at how close the port was to the arcade over the SNES and Genesis ports. Lots of nostalgia with these games.

I can't even count how many times I rented FFS before I finally bought it in 1995! My mom bribed me with the PS1 KOF 95 to cut our (HUGE) yard one day in mid-1997 or so - but I suppose the life-long love of KOF I've had since then was worth one miserable afternoon as a teenager. 😅

Last edited: