arcades in the berekly/sanfrancisco area

Mad Mage

Edo Express Delivery Guy
20 Year Member
I'll be visiting Berkley CA which is a stones throw away from SF. Any residents want to clue me in to some good arcades in the area? I'd love to play some 2D fighting/shmups/bemani since there are no good arcades where I live. Thanks

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Mad Mage said:
I'll be visiting Berkley CA which is a stones throw away from SF. Any residents want to clue me in to some good arcades in the area? I'd love to play some 2D fighting/shmups/bemani since there are no good arcades where I live. Thanks

Have no clue as far as the Berkley area, but if you have the time...take about an 45min - 1hr drive to Sunnyvale. They have a Golfland there that has tons of 2D fighters and a handfull of Shmups. If you go to Golflands website you can look up the location. Someone in Berkely will know how to get to Sunnyvale.

Mad Mage

Edo Express Delivery Guy
20 Year Member
I've heard about Sunnyvale Golfland. Glad to know it's worth checking out. Thanks

prosper1ne

King's Dry,
theres always the bearcade in berkeley by telegraph. ive been there myself and they had a few hits like super ssf and a few kofs. its been a year or so so im not sure what is like now but i think if youre in bzerkly its worth a stop by. ive heard youve got to be a student to get in but i just walked in and didnt get hassled at all so i dont know.

Mad Mage

Edo Express Delivery Guy
20 Year Member
Sounds interesting. I may check it out since it's probably close to where I'm staying.

I regret to say that the Berkeley campus arcade is no more. :( The freaking stupid student union decided that a gelato parlor/study lounge would be more profitable. In an interesting twist, the new place is so poorly planned and poorly lit that I think there are less people in that area than there used to be with the arcade in there. Arcades are dying, my friends... *sob* But if you don't feel like hiking all the way out to sunnyvale (the Golfland there is pretty sweet, but the competition is fierce. Don't go there if you feel like winning :) ), there's an arcade at the Sony Metreon in SF. A little pricey, and the games aren't the latest, but kinda fun and close to the SF Museum of Modern Art.

-Totoroslayer

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
hey man I live in berkeley and can confirm that all of the arcades are officially closed. Seemed a long time coming. Bearcade was a good outlet and it attracted alot of competition, still not sure why they would decide to close it down when it certainly was not over a lack of attendance. Was probably all of us non-Cal kids crowding in there. There was an arcade in oakland called the oaktree which was famous for half working machines and rather rowdy attendees. Kinda made you scared to win, people would get mad. Sunnyvale golfland is pretty good, but milpitas golfland is where the real competition is usually. But even then, if you dont go on the right day there will be no one there. If you are interested in playing street fighter get at me as my house is now ground zero for some local competition. Got third strike on a Egret 2, alpha 3 on a konami Windy and an astro city that I rotate games on. We usually have tourneys, casuals and money matches on sunday nights so holler if you want to come through.
laters

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
oh, San francisco state university has alot of regular comp there too.

fatal fury fan #2

Duck King's DJ
zapatistab said:
Have no clue as far as the Berkley area, but if you have the time...take about an 45min - 1hr drive to Sunnyvale. They have a Golfland there that has tons of 2D fighters and a handfull of Shmups. If you go to Golflands website you can look up the location. Someone in Berkely will know how to get to Sunnyvale.

I remember going there when MvC2 frist came out. do they still have that mini 2 slot there? :drool_2:

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
If you're going to San Francisco, I know there is an arcade on Pier 39. I can't remember what its called, but they had KOF NeoWave in a Sega Megalo 52 cabinet. That was half a year ago, it might be gone now because the game didn't get much play. I'll bet the Megalo is still there though. God I'd love to talk the owner into selling that thing.

thchardcore

Another Striker
15 Year Member
Mad Mage said:

Sunnyvale Golfland >bemani, tekken, 3rd strike, cvs2, mvc2 hotspot
Milpitas golfland > same as above
SFSU rack n cue> 3rd strike and other fighters
SJSU arcade> kind of lame, but they have Guilty gear Slash

Hope that helps

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
thchardcore said:
Sunnyvale Golfland >bemani, tekken, 3rd strike, cvs2, mvc2 hotspot
Milpitas golfland > same as above
SFSU rack n cue> 3rd strike and other fighters
SJSU arcade> kind of lame, but they have Guilty gear Slash

Hope that helps

Thats funny, I live down the street from the Milpitas area, and I never thought to check out the Milpitas Golfland. I haven't been there since I was in my early twenties . My buddies and I used to live there. Man I've wasted so much money at that place.

They used to have a big banner that read "games for sale" but my wife gave me the wife look. Married guys know the look. :eek: So I decided to avoid it. I thought they were going under, but I guess they were just unloading old cabs.

bulletnyourass

noble trader
setharnott said:
oh, San francisco state university has alot of regular comp there too.

I used to live in Berkeley. Off of University and 10th street (I block west of San Pablo Ave). There used to be an Arcade on University Ave next to the 7-11 on Sacramento St. There also used to be Silverball Arcade that was off of Telegraph just south of UC Berkeley. There was one more a few blocks from Silverball .. but that was years ago. Me and my friends used to hang out at those arcades as well as the comic stores on Telegraph. Man it's been a long time .. I might drive up there and check it out when I'm on vacation in April.

Phillip

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
Save yourself the trip man, I live only a few blocks away from there and there is nothing there. The 7-11 survived though. Seriously the arcade scene is dead in Berkeley/Oakland. Even that old scummy LaValles up on telegraph closed down. Dark days we live in.....