Arcade1up better than real cabs?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Then they moved closer together and touched peepees.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
One day soon 90% of these will end up on curbs with "FREE" signs on them.
Same way actual cabs ended up rotted out in a junkyard or thrown in random barns? I believe you.

and how they have to stand beside it to show it
I think any woman I know would be like, guys get a real cab
lol yeah that looks like a kid's toy and someone must've had this realization when trying to find a shorter person that can stand in front of it and not hide the whole cab for the ad

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Please stop. Comparing real cabs to these toys is like comparing John McCain to George Bush.

One is the real thing. Real. Maybe it was the worst game ever but it was real. It was built to do a job and it did it. It attracted people via its own sights and sounds, no nostalgia yet available in its own time, and sought to generate money from quarters/¥100 coins. It wasn’t built for a rec room. It wasn’t RoHS compliant. It was Reagan era. It was overbuilt, probably by hand in Japan, to last decades of industrial use. Pac Man is not a collectible. Pac Man is a bulldozer that generates $280 a day in revenue that only made sense with an undervalued yen. Pac Man is Pro Gear Spec

These stupid things are fucking REPLICAS [see: Trainspotting] that are designed to look like a thing that did a job these things don’t do. There is no reason for them to look like that, to be that size or shape. They are a 200 pounder cosplaying as Lum. They are a Crosley record player. An AES shell with an SD card inside. Sad and fake. They are GTO in Two Lane Blacktop. They are Whalers on the Moon.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I still have my Killer Instinct A1U, sits in the corner not getting much use. The Chewlix with KI on MAME gets more use. I did upgrade the KI monitor to a 20" which is nicer than that shitty 17" they use.

I got another A1U cab for $50 on craigslist. Some dude got Galaga for his wife, and it "broke." None of the buttons worked. Brought it home for $50, pulled the CP off, reseated the cable, works 100% lol. Still a piece of shit.

So I ended up gutting it (all ONE PCB inside of it if you wanna call it 'guts'). Put a 20" Dell in there, put my Primal Rage PCB in there, added a subwoofer, better JVC speakers, and got a new blank control panel which I will drill out when its ready.

Got some Primal Rage artwork for it too. My PR board wont fit in my Chewlix with the PC in there, (plus the CHAMMA edge on it was real wonky) and My Neo25 is too busy being filled with a 2 slot and a PGM, so I have my own little JAMMAfied Primal Rage cab for $50, not counting the artwork and power supply I had to buy (15 bucks). Got a $20 GBS8200, modified it to have GBS-Control, and boom. Is work. Is good. Is Primal Rage with all the boomin' sound like on the actual arcade.

Is it still a shitty A1U cab? Yep. But do I have a dedicated home for my Primal Rage that actually fits in my office and no longer have a bare Primal Rage board sitting in my closet? Yep.

1682485023675.jpeg

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I still have my Killer Instinct A1U, sits in the corner not getting much use. The Chewlix with KI on MAME gets more use. I did upgrade the KI monitor to a 20" which is nicer than that shitty 17" they use.

I got another A1U cab for $50 on craigslist. Some dude got Galaga for his wife, and it "broke." None of the buttons worked. Brought it home for $50, pulled the CP off, reseated the cable, works 100% lol. Still a piece of shit.

So I ended up gutting it (all ONE PCB inside of it if you wanna call it 'guts'). Put a 20" Dell in there, put my Primal Rage PCB in there, added a subwoofer, better JVC speakers, and got a new blank control panel which I will drill out when its ready.

Got some Primal Rage artwork for it too. My PR board wont fit in my Chewlix with the PC in there, (plus the CHAMMA edge on it was real wonky) and My Neo25 is too busy being filled with a 2 slot and a PGM, so I have my own little JAMMAfied Primal Rage cab for $50, not counting the artwork and power supply I had to buy (15 bucks). Got a $20 GBS8200, modified it to have GBS-Control, and boom. Is work. Is good. Is Primal Rage with all the boomin' sound like on the actual arcade.

Is it still a shitty A1U cab? Yep. But do I have a dedicated home for my Primal Rage that actually fits in my office and no longer have a bare Primal Rage board sitting in my closet? Yep.

View attachment 64781
This is brave of you to share, and I salute you. And fuck the haters. It's a project that you completed. Nice.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection

View attachment 64781

Nice work, dude. Primal Rage is one of those weird ones where the original code in the computers was lost because the dev went under, so all of the ports and emu we've seen over the years are different than the original arcade. According to somewhere I read (HG101 maybe), trying to play the original arcade in MAME will result in issues due to copy protection built into the code. So literally the only way to play Primal Rage purely is via the original arcade.

I know it gets hated on, but so what. Not every 90s fighter needs to be SFII. Haha it's not particularly great from a technical standpoint, but it oozes with charm and it's fun. And since I haven't played an original arcade since the 90s, my complaints are related to compromised ports anyway. Nice project, man.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Nice work, dude. Primal Rage is one of those weird ones where the original code in the computers was lost because the dev went under, so all of the ports and emu we've seen over the years are different than the original arcade. According to somewhere I read (HG101 maybe), trying to play the original arcade in MAME will result in issues due to copy protection built into the code. So literally the only way to play Primal Rage purely is via the original arcade.

I know it gets hated on, but so what. Not every 90s fighter needs to be SFII. Haha it's not particularly great from a technical standpoint, but it oozes with charm and it's fun. And since I haven't played an original arcade since the 90s, my complaints are related to compromised ports anyway. Nice project, man.

There was a specific MAME emulator that was being worked on to emulate PR properly. It evidently got pretty far and a lot of the issues with the emulation were cleared up, but there were still some that hadn't been fixed.

And naturally - the team that was doing it just stopped.

Edit: looks like they were wanting to make it a commercial release 🙄 so it was "officially stopped."

Last edited:

Samson

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Noob of the Year
The only Arcade1Up I ever cared for was the Centipede + Asteroids one. I got it at TjMaxx for $199 and I ate it up because it was the christmas season. Plus it had MajorHavoc, one of my favorite 1980s arcade games.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Primal Rage is terrible, the control scheme makes zero sense. If they remake it with normal SF/MK controls, it might be worth a shot.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Primal Rage is terrible, the control scheme makes zero sense. If they remake it with normal SF/MK controls, it might be worth a shot.

Skill issue.

TBH I had no idea that the 2.3 version actually did change the way specials are performed. Up until a few months ago, I always played the game like the original. Hold the buttons down first, and then do the motion.

2.3 changed that to where you can do the motion and then tap the button(s). Makes it easier but after nearly 30 years of playing the old way I still find myself holding the buttons. The stick motions are still a little wonky but you can pretty much do all the moves with some sort of quarter circle. Either back, forward, over, etc.

edit: Also, PR2 forewent that control scheme all together and went with a Killer Instinct type. 6 buttons, linkers, supers, etc.