Arcade1up better than real cabs?

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
There are actually a couple neo people who are into Arcade1up. My money is on neo-moe though.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Get outta here man it’s not me, I don’t even have Big Blue.

But even if I did, I wouldn’t pick a screen name like that...my kids use these things!

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Looks like Arcade 1up is coming out with a full size cab called the Pro with happ parts.

I am VERY interested in the Golden Tee Pro if it comes to fruition (an early listing was leaked on a UK site). It is rumored to have the same games as Golden Tee, but also Strata's Bowling, another bowling game, and Shuffleboard. It is believe to have leaderboards, but not Tourney play, as that probably would cannibalize the sales of the current generation of Golden Tees.

All last years leaks turned out to be true except for Track + Field.
It would be money on the table for them not to put this out.
It was all over Walmart a few years ago, but it sold out and is sought after now. It's addictive even to those who aren't into Golf or sports like myself.
I had it for a short time, and it was fun, but better with boots on the ground playing with you.
I hardly had anybody over to my place when COVID started, but I have the Simpsons cab with the arcade and bowling now, and bowling is a huge hit with guests, my G/F, and friends who come over.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I am VERY interested in the Golden Tee Pro if it comes to fruition (an early listing was leaked on a UK site). It is rumored to have the same games as Golden Tee, but also Strata's Bowling, another bowling game, and Shuffleboard. It is believe to have leaderboards, but not Tourney play, as that probably would cannibalize the sales of the current generation of Golden Tees.

All last years leaks turned out to be true except for Track + Field.
It would be money on the table for them not to put this out.
It was all over Walmart a few years ago, but it sold out and is sought after now. It's addictive even to those who aren't into Golf or sports like myself.
I had it for a short time, and it was fun, but better with boots on the ground playing with you.
I hardly had anybody over to my place when COVID started, but I have the Simpsons cab with the arcade and bowling now, and bowling is a huge hit with guests, my G/F, and friends who come over.
Why do you like Arcade 1UP so much? It seems like an obsession for you.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
I think I read somewhere Arcade1Up released like 20 arcades last year and they will be releasing even more this year. Pretty crazy. Given what folks think might be coming out soon, I could potentially see myself picking up 4 more machines this year. Yikes.

But that is my limit. I have 4 already and dont want to devote more space than for 8 machines total. Even 8 is pretty bonkers but whatever.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Are these things made so that you could easily install/mod them with a switcher of some sort and just have multiple PCBs inside as long as the games use the same control/screen layout? Seems like a far better choice to just have a single 6 button cab instead of a whole bunch of dedicated ones with the only differences essentially being their side art.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
They are made so that dads and idiots buy them and fill their mancave with them, the mancave that they share with their son while they're programming him to hate his mother

If you have kids, whatever. Neo Moe gets a fucking pass. The mother fuck....

HDR though probably doesnt even let his kids touch his though because he's scared they'll ruin his #1 rank among the other children. What a sick fuck

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
They are made so that dads and idiots buy them and fill their mancave with them, the mancave that they share with their son while they're programming him to hate his mother
I wanted one of them to tell me that. Specifically that having only one defeats the entire purpose of them.

Of course they're for middle-aged dudes to fill their basements with sadness toys.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
This will be HDR's house in less than a year if his wife doesn't take everything now and leave with her handsome, tall, white boyfriend. Off to the kame house with him!

1642660899893.png

neo_mao

15 Year Member
I keep mine in my kid's art room. It's just a matter of time before they get covered in finger paint and glitter and googly eyes...and I guess I am ok with that.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Pretty much each cab has its own purpose or dedicated controls.

Egret2 - vertical games
Astro City - puzzle/3 button games
Daytona usa 2 - racing
Naomi Universal - light gun
Net City - rhythm games
Nostalgia- Dedicated piano rhythm game
Showcase cab - 6 button fighters
Star Wars arcade1up - ill probably end up modding it w teknoparrot w flight yoke games
Pinball
IiRcade - Retro/new games w leaderboards and soon online multi.

My kids uses the arcade all the time now. Even my wife plays the puzzle and rhythm games. Family/friends comes over and they play it too during parties. We also have a dedicate movie theater for movie nights. Its just another section of the home for entertainment. Just like patio out back for bbq.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
That Atari X-arcade thing should be acknowledged as a war crime by the Geneva convention.
Looks like a fairly decent all pourpose panel to me. The only thing I'd add is a fourth button to the top row.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Looks like a fairly decent all pourpose panel to me. The only thing I'd add is a fourth button to the top row.
giphy.gif

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea, I never understood the love for these. I guess maybe to put in your kids room and let him/her have some fun on it, maybe.

How could this ever beat me sitting on my couch with my super duper arcade stick playing on a 40+ inch name brand TV on proper hardware. I understand the appeal of older cabinets with proper controls and crt monitors with scanlines and all that stuff but sitting in front of this small cheapo lcd screen with crappy controls just doesn't appeal to me.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
How could this ever beat me sitting on my couch with my super duper arcade stick playing on a 40+ inch name brand TV on proper hardware. I understand the appeal of older cabinets with proper controls and crt monitors with scanlines and all that stuff but sitting in front of this small cheapo lcd screen with crappy controls just doesn't appeal to me.

I agree with things like arcade1ups, too cheap and small for my liking. But I find shooters are so much better on a cab. I miss my Blast City mostly due to shooters. I've been shopping around trying to find a modern cab solution. I'm done with CRTs. I'm leaning towards Haruman Custom's vertical XL with a Mister inside.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
The Home Arcade movement summed up 1-24-22

I know arcade 1up gets trashed on here. OG cabs are entirely different. 30-40 year old parts and PCBs to track down. Power hogs. Electronics knowledge. Outdated monitors. I get it. You're preserving a piece of history, and that's important, and I respect the hell out of it. But for all practical purposes here and now, home arcades fits my needs better. I run my entire arcade on less energy than 2 old light bulbs. And it may not be truly authentic, but you get the same form factor feel. It's a mass-market money grab, as far as arcade 1up in concerned, but they're getting there. iiRcade and Atgames are another story. No one has attempted this before really. They've only been around for 4 years, give them a break. They have niche stuff we like such as Golden Axe and Burgertime. Most of the good stuff is bought direct from 1up or from Best Buy, Target, Gamestop, or the far reaches of the Internet. Walmart is the high-profile place that gets all the press, but there is much more out there.

1up is basically functional Chinese furniture made as cheaply as possible. They get lots of things wrong, but the look and feel they nail most of the time, and that's a big part of the games we grew up with. Their customer service is much better than it used to be, with tickets resolved in less than a week. It's pretty ambitious doing what they're attempting. They're getting closer to full size with Tron, Big Blue, KI and the Pro line. They want to be a mass market company, but their Target audience is 35-50 year olds. And I think it's just unrealistic. They might get Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, or Pac Man in people's homes, but that's the most people will pay the now $700 prices for.

iiRcade is another story entirely. It caters to the niche with companies on board like IREM, Toplan, Data East, SNK, Taito, Sega, and modern retro games with companies like Dot EMU and Hero Concept. It's more of a cab for hardcore elder gamers like us. It has the classics like Double Dragon, Dragons Lair, Elevator Action, Rastan, Burgertime. It brings arcades to the modern age with downloadable content for all games, leaderboards, and soon, online play. One of the highlights for me is playing Mayhem Brawler standing up in the arcade elbow to elbow with a friend. It's a completely different experience standing along side your friend than sitting at your computer on Steam or on your couch on the Xbox, PS4 or Switch. They're selling nostalgia, pure and simple. Form Factor makes a difference to those of us who grew up in arcades. At least it does to me. How it is played is just as important as what is being played.

Atgames is an interesting one. More of an engineering company than anything else. They are completely open for engineers to play with. We are their guinea pigs, with mixed results. The Atgames Legends Ultimate (ALU) is a commercial multicade that has some stuff pre-loaded, like Metal Slug. But they got it right putting spinners and a Trackball on it. It even has a swappable 4 player control deck as on option coming soon. Because of COVID and shortages, they are backed up and still feeling their way. I think they're off to a good start, they've only made home arcade stuff since about the same time as arcade 1up. They've been in the couch emulation space sure, but this is a new avenue, as it's pretty a ambitious thing to do a commercial multicade. Some make question the legality of COINOPS-X and the lack of licensing, that's up to you. Their build quality is overall better than 1up. Sure, they have quality issues, but when it works, it works well. I don't personally have an ALU because I have a something else that does the job, but a friend has one and I am throughly impressed with it, especially at the $500-600 price point. Its sold online mostly, but you can buy it boots-on-the-ground at Sams Club.

Virtual pinball has been around for years, mainly by groups of avid enthusiasts who are self-supporting. It was a bold move for AtGames and Arcade 1up to get into virtual pinball as a viable commercial product. But when the Atgames Legends Pinball (ALP) was released to a select few pre-orders at the beginning of 2021, it was a revolution. Sure, Toyshock did it first, but with limited results. Atgames was more ambitious, essentially releasing a $3500+ product for $700-850. The games weren't top tier like their competition, but it didn't have to be. Where as arcade 1up pinball achieved quality in terms of games, snagging licenses to 3 of the top rated pinball titles of all time, Atgames ALP has better parts, better build quality, online features, and quantity of games. They didn't get the WIlliams/Bally/Marvel license, but they got quantity, striking a deal with Gottlieb. New comers to the virtual pinball game Magic Pixel, similar but smaller and lesser known than Zen studios, showed up on the scene, and really brought out the dormant Italian Zaccaria licenses with remakes of EM, SS, 90s, and even modern updates to pinball . Add Taito to the mix with all new games/tables built from scratch, and you have a surprise hit in the ALP. TInkerers who want to hook up a decent PC to the ALP have full access to the virtual pinball world with some elbow grease and about $700 for a special VIBS board and a decent PC.

I'd go into UNICO and the MVSX, but there's plenty of info about that here I need not repeat about it. All I can say is I've played one at a friends place, and I was impressed by what I saw, especially compared to arcade 1up.

I've played, bought, sold, traded, and maintained these machines first hand at my own home or friends places. Not a demo 4 years ago at Walmart, not by solely watching Youtube videos, but by playing games side-to-side with with friends and family. Like it or not, the future of Arcades will be in peoples homes, not bars, not bowling alleys, not arcades, not Dave and Busters, and I believe the future looks bright indeed.

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
You and HDR are hopeless consumer tryhards. The amount of time you just spent justifying your shitty fake arcade hoarding could have been spent hunched over one of them pretending to enjoy your entirely worthless "collection"

No one besides you idiots and bored dads are going to buy this bullshit and no actual adult arcade enthusiast wants to come over to your house and play your midget machines with shit controls either

Put the crackpipe down

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I guess I should be more gentle. Greg is clearly having a manic episode. This is the primordial form that Mr Karate II held centuries ago before writing his dissertation on Michael Beard's DNA Profile

neo_mao

15 Year Member
I get a pass because I'm a boring dad and also Sylvie loves me. :love:

But seriously, I think I'm going to pass on T2. The guns look wicked cheap. Joysticks and buttons are quick easy fixes/replacements...but guns less so...especially Sinden. Those guns won't last and when they do eventually go...game over man.

I'm gonna just get some guns and do a nice PC bigbox build. It'll be rad.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
GregN, nice write-up.

I grew up in the 80s arcade and pinball is a big part of the era. But owning a real arcade pinball machine is out of the question, the maintenance and sourcing of the parts is 10x worst than owning a real arcade machine. Not to mention post-Covid the prices have jumped through the roof. I was looking into a T2 pinball in 2018 and it was around $1500-2500, and now that has doubled. It was too much then, so forget about it now. Which brings me to Atgames' Legends Pinball (ALP). I bought one a few months ago since it looks promising and not too expensive, they have sales periodically and bought a package deal around $750. I was a little skeptical how well virtual pinball can replicate the experience initially but it is really well done. It truly does feel like playing real pinball 90% of the time. There are glitches and nudging feels off that doesn't make it completely authentic. On the other hand, you can play with "videogame" pinball that actual pinball can never do, like Devil's Crush or Alien Crush. I bought 2 of the Taito packs and the standout games are Bubble Bobble and Space Invaders where you have to defend certain areas of the play field from monsters rushing them. You can also buy an accessory that allows you to hook up a PC to it and play even more tables. I do wish Atgames can get the Williams tables but no luck so far. My favorite pinball game is Taxi (who doesn't want to pick up Gorbie as a fare?).