Arcade1up better than real cabs?

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
I conflate Arcade 1Ups with McDonald's burgers. Sure, they are burgers, but they are a far cry from a real, hand-formed BBQ burger. I read many years ago a criticism of McDonald's burgers. It said that the consumer has a desire for a burger. In their heads they are dreaming of a real burger. McDonalds offers burgers that are not real, but come with some sort of gimick or song-and-dance distraction. The person buys and consumes the McDonalds burger, but they are left wanting more psychologically because the McDonald's burger, while providing calories, and looking similar to a real BBQ burger, is not actually the "real burger" the person actually wants. As a result the consumer needs to buy more of that fake burger in an effort to satisfy the desire for a real burger. Upsizing, dipping sauces, pack-in toys, etc. are all designed to be tacked-on to the fake burger to (approach) satisfying the consumers desire (and to take their money).

I see similar things going on in the A1U community. They want a real cab like they remember from the arcade. They get a fake one that is more accessible (like McDonalds), but there are many elements of the A1U that constantly remind the user that they are not using a real cab. In an effort to satisfy their desire for a real cab they buy more A1Us, mod them, and put in shiny light-up buttons (to attract crows I guess).

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Yeah, kind of how like when I want Pizza, and I'm in Chicago, i take a bite out of it and I go "This isn't pizza" . Humans let themselves accept garbage

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Would Michael Jackson's personal arcade in Neverland have Arcade1Up SEGA cabs? WWJD?

EDIT: While I absolutely loved T2 in the arcade (it was a fucking spectacle to look and play) I would certainly not pay that kind of money for a fake cab of a game that is programmed to NOT be 1cc'able. I really can't see the appeal of playing games with a "guaranteed play time" softdip... and where's my fucking black dual UZIS arcade1up???

Also, wheres your point blank rerelease, Namco?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Nice setup Greg!

I have 4 machines now and I have to say, despite its flaws, I think the AFM might be my kids and mine favorite...it definitely gets the most play recently. I also have Marvel Super Heroes, Capcom Legacy and TMNT.

X-Men looks nice, but too much for me. Were you able to get the order in at $599 before they bumped the price to $699? Hope you got that red cad for the 5% off :vik:

What are your thoughts on Terminator 2? Truthfully I like it but don’t think I can pull the trigger on it at $700. Looks like it may be coming out in Dec.

I just got Atari legacy too

I like AFM too, despite all the shit it gets. It scratches the itch, and even makes me play better for real. Get the Atgames pinball if you can. It’s a n excellent machine.

I got X-men for $600. It’s a grail for me. I had a 4 player full size 20 years ago I had an auction for $200.
T2 looks interesting but I may pass unless it has Revolution X and Carnevil. Waiting for point blank, HotD, and even time crisis.

honestly, I have more fun decorating the room. 🤣

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I just got Atari legacy too

I like AFM too, despite all the shit it gets. It scratches the itch, and even makes me play better for real. Get the Atgames pinball if you can. It’s a n excellent machine.

I got X-men for $600. It’s a grail for me. I had a 4 player full size 20 years ago I had an auction for $200.
T2 looks interesting but I may pass unless it has Revolution X and Carnevil. Waiting for point blank, HotD, and even time crisis.

honestly, I have more fun decorating the room. 🤣

Glad you got X-Men before the price hike. Not sure if you’ve seen but the pinballs really jumped in price - AFM is now $850!

The Atari Legacy looks awesome and has a really solid line up of games, congrats. I’ve placed that in my cart a few times but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Last I checked Lowe’s still has them for $399.

AtGames Pinball looks good, especially the big screen...truthfully not a huge fan of the artwork though but I guess it could always be reskinned. I thought it might be too big for my space, but seeing it next to your AFM it doesn’t seem too bad. I probably won’t buy another Pinball though...unless A1Up releases Monster Bash - which would be awesome.

EDiT - just noticed your AFM speakers look different than mine, cool. Mine are plain black. Did yours come like that or did you get those after?

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Oh and yes Kong’s R Us does some really cool stuff. I’ve started a pc mod...well just working on the bigbox build at the moment. I never use Facebook but I’m a member of his His group there :D

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Can we move all Arcade1up discussion to the GregN'ing plz?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Glad you got X-Men before the price hike. Not sure if you’ve seen but the pinballs really jumped in price - AFM is now $850!

The Atari Legacy looks awesome and has a really solid line up of games, congrats. I’ve placed that in my cart a few times but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Last I checked Lowe’s still has them for $399.

AtGames Pinball looks good, especially the big screen...truthfully not a huge fan of the artwork though but I guess it could always be reskinned. I thought it might be too big for my space, but seeing it next to your AFM it doesn’t seem too bad. I probably won’t buy another Pinball though...unless A1Up releases Monster Bash - which would be awesome.

EDiT - just noticed your AFM speakers look different than mine, cool. Mine are plain black. Did yours come like that or did you get those after?
Yea I don’t get that price hike. Wasn’t selling at $600 - why do they think it’ll sell at $850? I modded it a bit. Put in glass, speaker grills, Bally logo. Fixed a bad solonoid. I’ve got a szabo topper coming too.

I’m passing on Simpsons too - it would have to spill into another room. Planning on getting the legends ultimate with 4 player deck instead.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Yea I don’t get that price hike. Wasn’t selling at $600 - why do they think it’ll sell at $850? I modded it a bit. Put in glass, speaker grills, Bally logo. Fixed a bad solonoid. I’ve got a szabo topper coming too.

I’m passing on Simpsons too - it would have to spill into another room. Planning on getting the legends ultimate with 4 player deck instead.

Oh nice, I found those speaker grills and bally sign on eBay, I might pick those up.

I just looked up the topper, this one? Looks pretty awesome lit up

451F765A-0735-49AF-A3F5-F052AAD5309E.jpeg

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Oh nice, I found those speaker grills and bally sign on eBay, I might pick those up.

I just looked up the topper, this one? Looks pretty awesome lit up

View attachment 51490
Yup. He takes his time sending stuff out. I’ll probably get it in 2 months. Got 20% off, which ended up free shipping.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Mo -What do you think of Simpsons? I have to admit I’m interested, more for bowling, but there’s no way I’d pay more than $500 for it, plus I have no room.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Mo -What do you think of Simpsons? I have to admit I’m interested, more for bowling, but there’s no way I’d pay more than $500 for it, plus I have no room.

That’s going to be a pass for me.

If I had to pick between the Simpsons cab or X-Men I probably would have gone X Men like you did....but of the 4 player Konami games Turtles is my fav, which I already have.

I’m going to be really picky with what I buy going forward. What I would really like I o have would be:

Terminator 2
Afterburner
Smash TV
Monster Bash

If I got Afterburner then i’d kind of want the Outrun cab too (stand up versions) :D

Not all of these have been announced obviously, but some have been hinted at I think. Most of my time in arcades was in the late 80s early 90s so this was the stuff I really played and loved. I did go to arcades later on too, but definitely not as much.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I’m going to be really picky with what I buy going forward. What I would really like I o have would be:

Terminator 2
Afterburner
Smash TV
Monster Bash
If I were going to choose dream cabs to own it would probably be games I loved that you can't replicate the experience of through regular emulation or console ports. Like the rotating joystick games Legend of Kage and Heavy Barrel.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
If I were going to choose dream cabs to own it would probably be games I loved that you can't replicate the experience of through regular emulation or console ports. Like the rotating joystick games Legend of Kage and Heavy Barrel.

Makes sense. TBH I never knew those games had unique controls.

So for that PC mod I was working on I got a vertical screen bezel...thinking what artwork to put on it. Leaning towards 1943. Kind of would like to do it as Sky Shark but seems harder to find good high quality images.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yeah, in Legend of Kage, you're jumping all around the screen like a monkey and you aim your throwing stars with the rotating joystick top. It's great. I guess a modern game would accomplish the same thing by using two analog sticks, but eh.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
And Victory Road!

Always loved that game.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
And Victory Road!

Always loved that game.
WELCOME PLAYERS TO MAH HOME! THIS IS THE PLACE OF YOUR DEATH. This sample should play everytime someone enters the war room.

Jokes aside the sword and the "loop lever" combined makes that game. It still has some pretty bullshit pre-Neo grade coin eating bosses but it's more manageable than Guerrilla War at least (another classic).

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
WELCOME PLAYERS TO MAH HOME! THIS IS THE PLACE OF YOUR DEATH. This sample should play everytime someone enters the war room.

Jokes aside the sword and the "loop lever" combined makes that game. It still has some pretty bullshit pre-Neo grade coin eating bosses but it's more manageable than Guerrilla War at least (another classic).
Either that or the booming voice of Sinistar: "BEWARE I LIVE! RUN COWARD!!!" :tickled:

Loved Ikari, Victory Road, Guerilla War, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel and Gondomania with the LS-30 knob joysticks.

There were also the classic Taito games with the clicker knob that you pushed down to fire like Frontline, Wild Western and Tin Star.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Meh, I think they're good to keep the arcade style of gaming alive because actual arcade machines are hard to maintain at this point. but personally I'd rather stick to Mame than spend money on these fake cabs.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
read many years ago a criticism of McDonald's burgers. It said that the consumer has a desire for a burger. In their heads they are dreaming of a real burger.
Jesus Christ...Really?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Either that or the booming voice of Sinistar: "BEWARE I LIVE! RUN COWARD!!!" :tickled:

Loved Ikari, Victory Road, Guerilla War, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel and Gondomania with the LS-30 knob joysticks.

There were also the classic Taito games with the clicker knob that you pushed down to fire like Frontline, Wild Western and Tin Star.
Don’t forget Calibur 50!