Arcade1up better than real cabs?

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'm gonna say 'n0' to the subject of this thread but they're cool for kids. Arcades don't really exist anymore except as a novelty. Why not make them easier for kids to play?

I remember needing one of those step stools to play some games back in the day. Forcing kids to use those at home would just be silly and these take up less space.

Net gain for anyone that sees the advantages.

droid

Me Luv U Long Time,
C5976E80-F7AC-4695-8FF0-16333D6ED424.jpegA349AC50-9B8C-499F-B39A-1B881B8812B5.jpegI have a collection of 36 original cabs, 3 candies and a bunch of PCBs, but they were expensive to obtain and restore back when cabs were plentiful on Craigslist and much cheaper than they are today (2003-2013).

I wouldn’t be able to do it again in 2021...Prices are now at an insane premium and NOS parts, artwork and monitors are no longer available like they were back then. There are good repro art producers however.

Maintenance is an ongoing expense to keep them running, which is a frustrating aspect of the hobby. I currently have (10) non working games that need attention and $$$ to bring them back. Arcade1ups seem like they would be much more reliable, though the quality is lacking compared to originals... but they are a fraction of the price.

I like Arcade1ups because it allows people to enjoy the classics and have gamerooms, where it otherwise would likely not be feasible... it also increases awareness and interest of the classics so they aren’t forgotten over time and as collectors die off or leave the hobby.

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I got a couple more Arcade1up machines recently including the Street Fighter Legacy one and be the Attack from Mars Pinball. Already had Turtles and Marvel Super Heroes. Definitely not without their flaws but they serve their purpose well.

The reality is we are not Arcade1up’s target market. Their business is selling nostalgia to casual gamers who may want to share the arcade experience with their kids. That’s why you can buy a lot of these at Walmart and Target.

And in that regard, they are doing a great job. My kids have not been to a proper arcade (one that wasn’t overrun by redemption toys) so they love playing on these machines....and it brings me much happiness to share that with them several times a week after dinner.

I mean, i bought the Marvel Arcade1up completely unplanned...was an impulse buy while I was buying diapers at Target.

droid

Me Luv U Long Time,
droid, what would you do in a hypothetical situation where someone just ate dinner but didn't wash their hands and then wanted to play your games.
Lol, that’s not a hypothetical... I politely set the following ground rules:
  • Please wash hands after eating.
  • No food allowed in gameroom.
  • Remove rings and wrist jewelry so not to damage CPOs.
  • Good personal hygiene is a must. Janky peeps will be asked to leave or provided a towel so they can take a quick shower and maybe a change of clothes if that bad.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I have the Mortal Kombat 1up. I wanna swap out the buttons. Anyone tried this? Just wondering if regular IL/Happ screw on Buttons will work or if I need a special size.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I have the Mortal Kombat 1up. I wanna swap out the buttons. Anyone tried this? Just wondering if regular IL/Happ screw on Buttons will work or if I need a special size.
From what I get, standard happ buttons work just fine. They are basically shitty happ buttons anyway. Swapping the sticks is another story though, you have to remeasure holes and whatnot.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Lol, that’s not a hypothetical... I politely set the following ground rules:
  • Please wash hands after eating.
  • No food allowed in gameroom.
  • Remove rings and wrist jewelry so not to damage CPOs.
  • Good personal hygiene is a must. Janky peeps will be asked to leave or provided a towel so they can take a quick shower and maybe a change of clothes if that bad.
Ok, Bibliophile.

Jon

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I just can't believe how ugly they are. Considering the massive about of really good art available to use for practically everything they license.

Like all of the cab art looks like it was in PS from 1997 by a high school graphic design teacher.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I'm a huge MK Fan and it has the straight up MKII cab art on it which is my favorite so it looks badass. I Love the Raiden on the side. Plus it's a gift that I'm super grateful for.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Most of the 1ups look great, its just build quality is piss poor.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I can live with the sticks but the buttons gotta get swapped.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :kekeke:

Big Blue for $600.

The new TMNT is gonna be 7. And people are saying they think the Killer Instinct A1U is gonna be $600 as well.

Arcade1Up has officially jumped the shark, charging what actual cabs should cost.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Ya I saw that as well....totally insane.

ANd that Big Blue is quite possibly the ugliest thing I have ever seen.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Honestly what Im gonna end up doing is just getting a cheap A1U from craigs and converting it to a little mame PC for KI 1 and 2, or just build a small arcade cab by getting some plans.

I wonder if there are any blueprints out there for a wooden candy :D

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I pulled the trigger on the BB. It comes with the stool and the riser (which I'm not going to use), and has a lighted marquee and wifi and all that shit. If it costs more to make, it stands to reason that the cost to the user is higher. It's literally a mini Big Blue, I knew I had to cop the moment I saw it. It's expensive, and I'm sure it will cost quite a bit more making it not suck, but I'm looking forward to it.

Ah, and one thing - what a cab should cost, and what they actually do cost now are, unfortunately, two very, very different things. Specifically in the pandemic-fueled game craze which we are in currently. Mini Cutes were ¥60,000 new. Stands to reason that you should be able to get some dusty ass mini cab for less than what they cost in the mid 90s, right? Sorry, but totally wrong. You can't even be in the same room as a Mini Cute for $600 these days. Even the most common candy cab, the Blast City, is gonna cost you at least $1,500 now.

I kinda clown 'em, but for some folks the A1U may not be a bad option. I dunno. I'll have a better idea when the BB gets here and I go through the pains of making it how I want it to be.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Dude, the stool is trash. I got one and it is completely useless. I dont use the riser for my cab, so I took the extensions off of the stool, and its STILL too tall, and has like two squares of 1 ply toilet paper as padding. I have no idea if the stool fits better with the riser.

That's just way too much, honestly. If it came with like the entire CPS1/2/3 liberry on it then maybe. But with what's included, $600 is just not the right price.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I fully expect the stool is garbage. Basically, I always wanted a BB, but realized that the sheer size of the damn thing would preclude it ever being realistic (I told the story somewhere around here). I realize that $600 is steep for one of these, period. They got me with this one, I admit.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I fully expect the stool is garbage. Basically, I always wanted a BB, but realized that the sheer size of the damn thing would preclude it ever being realistic (I told the story somewhere around here). I realize that $600 is steep for one of these, period. They got me with this one, I admit.

For sure man, not bagging on you for spending what you spent. If you like it, and you want it - fuck anything else. BUT - for ol' DD, 6 bills for a Blue or Killer Instinct is out of my wallet's range.