Arcade game sequels

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Outrun 2 was as good as Outrun, yes. Maybe even better.

In addition to the normal game, there was Heart Attack Mode. Stuff like, drive between X amount of cars, drift X amount of times, and you get hearts from your passenger girlfriend. Great replay value. Every time I play this in the arcade I choose Heart Attack Mode.

Actually I think I even prefer playing Outrunners to Outrun, even. Arcade only version. Best version of Last Wave.

Last edited:

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I'm deconverting a Turbo Outrun PCB as we speak. That game is like bootleg quality.

Raiden II I'd say is a clear upgrade, for one.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Staring forlornly at my cabs and pinball machine that are gathering dust :'( Occasionally bowling. My job sucks and I really need a new one.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Some sequels somehow don't make sense.

Donkey Kong- classic game where Mario goes after Donkey Kong climbing, jumping and hammering.

Donkey Kong Junior- Mario is evil (only game that he is) and Junior is trying to rescue pops by climbing, jumping and dumping fruit on the baddies.

Donkey Kong 3- WTF?!! No Mario, replaced by Stanley (only appearance in any Nintendo game) who sprays Donkey Kong up a pair of vines while being attacked by bugs. No climbing, a little bit of jumping and super spraying the big monkey's ass to the top of the screen.

I've played DK3 and hate to admit that I'm pretty decent at it and does get extremely hard in the upper levels but it's so way different than the first two. Hell, Mario Bros. seems more of a sequel than it.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I have a copy of dk3 for Colecovision that I need to spend more time playing.

When it came out it made a bad impression but I like it now.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I have a copy of dk3 for Colecovision that I need to spend more time playing.

When it came out it made a bad impression but I like it now.
To me, DK3 is more of a Galaga type shooter than anything else which is why I was into it more than DK and DKJ, though knowing about the 'Junior cheat' made me a fan of that game too ;)

Reactions: Syn

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
ng03.jpg

Actually saw one of these recently...Monaco GP (Sega, 1980). Small upright. Remember playing this baby growing up. Looking up the info on KLOV, I knew they made a sit-in cabinet version however a cocktail table?!! WTF!!! Also found this interesting from a tech standpoint:
This was probably the last major game to be built entirely from discrete logic, i.e., without using a microprocessor. The game consists of two large digital boards containing over 100 TTL chips, an analog board with countless opamps for the sound, a board that manages the players score and highscores, and a board filled with 7-segment LED's for displaying these scores. Most onscreen details sprites are generated by small ROM's.

9 years later Sega came out with Super Monaco GP, a sequel that looks like many of the other Sega drivers at the time. Course the sit-in deluxe moved around and the game had a nice mirror view above the game play. Except in name and being a driver, that's all they have in common (they don't even have a common maker since the original in the U.S. was produced by Sega/Gremlin)

BTW, funky old cocktail table :tickled:

ng03b.jpg

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Joust...old, simplistic, never-ending. Felt comfortable playing. Joust 2...as much as I liked the concept of different stage settings, to me it just didn't have the same play or feel as the original. Maybe the vertical monitor instead of horizontal was a problem though it did make for more precise flapping. Then that changing from Ostrich/Stork to Pegasus to kill hatchlings easier but couldn't fly worth a damn.

It could've been worse like the Time Pilot/Time Pilot 84 and Vanguard/Vanguard 2 games where the sequels were nothing like the originals.
Another game that came with a sequel that really was nothing like the original. Bosconian (1981) was a nice little game from Midway (licensed from Namco) that play was similar to Time Pilot and Sinistar where the ship stayed in the middle of the screen and you could move 8 different directions. Shoot ships, rocks, mines and destroy all space stations to advance to the next level by either a direct hit or shooting the six sides of it.
ng18.png
8 years later, Namco came up with the sequel Blast Off (1989) and while the ships and space stations looked like from the original game, this one played more of the line of a Raiden or Super Cobra, complete with weapon changes:
ng18a.png

Reactions: Syn

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
In another of those "Why isn't the sequel anything like the original?" category: Mappy (1983) You run around as a mouse avoiding cats and grabbing prizes. Opening and closing doors, bouncing on trampolines, grabbing prizes and microwaving them evil cats. 3 years later, the Japan only release of Hopping Mappy (1986) you hop around on a pogo stick collecting prizes in a garden while avoiding enemy cats. Yeah...doesn't sound too thrilling :p

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Mega BUMP!!!

Another game with a long history of sequels was the Raiden series (click the game name link for info via KLOV)

RaidenSeibu Kaihatsu1990Videogame
Raiden DXSeibu Kaihatsu1994Videogame
Raiden FightersSeibu Kaihatsu1996Videogame
Raiden Fighters 2: Operation Hell DiveSeibu Kaihatsu1997Videogame
Raiden Fighters JetSeibu Kaihatsu1998Videogame
Raiden IISeibu Kaihatsu1993Videogame
Raiden IIITaito2005Videogame
Raiden IVTaito2007

The original is already well over 30 years old. I actually was introduced to the game on the Playstation, which was known as The Raiden Project which included Raiden and Raiden II.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
It's BUMP time!!!

Hard Drivin' was a 1989 Atari Games driving game...not so much as the typical car racing game as it was a test driving simulator. A cockpit cabinet complete with key ignition, feedback steering, 4 speed shifter including reverse and three pedals including clutch for manual transmission driving, this game was high-end for its time and as expensive as a real car. When the game starts, you can steer onto a speed or stunt track. A well done game.

The following year, Race Drivin' came out and introduced three tracks, choice of four cars and two players could race: one after the other was done with a 'shadow car' as the gauge or with a link and two cabinets, against each other. Definitely more challenging than the original. There was a prototype sequel called Hard Drivin's Airborne which would've used an X/Y directional yoke like Star Wars and allowed the car to change over to a glider on difficult jumps. Now that would've been a trip to see in 1993.

ng39.png

ng39a.png

EDIT: History of Hard Drivin' :

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Outrun 2 was as good as Outrun, yes. Maybe even better.

In addition to the normal game, there was Heart Attack Mode. Stuff like, drive between X amount of cars, drift X amount of times, and you get hearts from your passenger girlfriend. Great replay value. Every time I play this in the arcade I choose Heart Attack Mode.

Actually I think I even prefer playing Outrunners to Outrun, even. Arcade only version. Best version of Last Wave.

one of the few racing games I still play here and there. Love that there's a good port on the PSP.