Arcade game sequels

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
They just could have done so much more with it on this system....
But it's Visco.

I find the idea of "hidden" arcade sequels more interesting.
Like Sunset Riders > Mystic Warriors.
Wild West C.O.W. Boys of Moo Mesa
...or Konami's Devastators > G.I. Joe

In the arcade, Super Contra is pretty bad-ass compared to the original.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
As I mentioned in the OP, Spy Hunter for its time a great game. Spy Hunter 2...the distinction of being named the WORST sequel of all time:

ng01a.jpgng15.png

ng01b.jpgng15a.png

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
The newish (in the last few years) Electro-mechanical Pong is a great update of the original.
There was a game by Atari called 'Warlords' that was an absolute blast on a 4 player cocktail table. Play with a buddy on opposite corners and you get to see how unfair a CPU can be: intercepting two fireballs from opposite sides shot at it at same time :tickled:

ng16.png

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Let's bump this up and take a look at this set of sequels...

A Taito classic, Chase HQ where the object was to chase down and capture the criminal by bashing its car multiple times before time expired. The sequel, Special Criminal Investigation visually looked the same but came with a trigger style shifter with turbo and gun (which players always beat the holy crap out of since I had to fix it up several times back in the day). Being able to fire at the bad guy made the game a bit easier to play but essentially played the same. Alas, never got a chance to play Super Chase: Criminal Termination to see if Taito improved upon the series.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I could've put this in one of those gaming threads but I'm more of an Unrelated Topic guy so her it goes.

With some recent thread discussions about game sequels, many may have made the original better while some were less than stellar. Then there were a few that were borderline. Game classics like Space Invaders evolved into Space Invaders Deluxe, Asteroids into Asteroids Deluxe into Space Duel, Defender into Stargate, not to mention Scrabble into Super Cobra. There was one really terrible one that sticks out to me: Spy Hunter into Spy Hunter 2, which set that game back big time. Let's discuss ;)
Sequels are often better than the original game. But game developers sometimes use a sequel to increase the difficulty a lot from the first game, if they thought it was too low.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Did I miss it or has no one mentioned Ghouls and Ghosts or Ghosts and Goblins?

Or whatever they were called.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Did I miss it or has no one mentioned Ghouls and Ghosts or Ghosts and Goblins?

Or whatever they were called.
You're the first to mention it. If my ever-loving failing memory serves me right, Ghosts and Goblins while being a great game was a bitch and then some to play, its difficulty was the stuff of legends. The sequel, Ghouls and Ghosts looked tons better, played great and compared to the original, much easier to play and get to the end. Of course Capcom during that time had a number of scrolling games like Magic Sword, Tiger Road, Black Tiger, Willow and so on.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
My friend owned an arcade so we credit fed Ghosts and Goblins to the end. One person would play until they got stuck. The next person would rotate in and try for a credit. Four of us were in the loop that day. I actually left before they finished.

Often with new games he'd do that. We'd plan ahead of meeting up after an auction. I miss auctions. I picked up my old Fathom pinball at one.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Virtua Cop 2 sega upped it adding even more compared to the original.Least the ports on sega saturn i often replay part two more then one.
4.jpg

1.jpg

Reactions: Syn

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I don’t think I ever played Virtual Cop 2 when I had a Saturn.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I don’t think I ever played Virtual Cop 2 when I had a Saturn.
Saturn was pound for pound, the arcade port champ at time of release. You missed out buddy.

Not sure which one was the 1st, and which one was the sequel…Decathlete & WinterHeat are both stellar. Still get played often to this day.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
How about NBA Jam became NBA Hangtime because Midway lost the rights of their own name to Acclaim who put out their own NBA Jam arcade game and home console games.

NBA Showtime: NBA on NBC > ALL

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Here's an interesting take on a sequel...Tron. Tron came out in 1982, Discs of Tron in 1983 however that game was going to go on the original TRON game but was moved off due to hardware limitations and time constraints. Tron also had a grid bug game which was suppose to be a big part of the movie but was edited to a extremely brief 2 second spot. The joys of making and promoting a game based on a movie to coincide with its release before informing Bally/Midway that it was being cut almost completely from the film.

Another note on Discs of Tron: the Environmental/Cockpit version was vastly superior in looks and game play than the upright, which was in a similar cabinet as the first Tron game. Sound and lighting differ in that version as well though the upright had alternating 2 player action.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Next on the sequel list...the classic Nintendo boxing game Punch-Out!! (1984) Featuring the likes of:
  1. Glass Joe
  2. Piston Hurricane
  3. Bald Bull
  4. Kid Quick
  5. Pizza Pasta
  6. Mr. Sandman
Very cool for its time with the unique dual screen (upper and lower), the following year, Super Punch-Out!! came out with new fighters though Great Tiger is a dead ringer for Piston Hurricane minus the turban. Also added was the ability to duck opponents by pulling the joystick straight up (not the direction up per normal joystick means). Ducking was a must against Dragon Chan and Super Macho Man.

Following the two came Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! for the Playchoice 10 which many dedicated Punch-Out cabinets were converted to. Unlike the face-to-face perspective of the original two, the latter showed two fighters moving around together in the ring though the fundamentals remained the same.

While not technically a sequel, there was another conversion to Punch-Out called Arm Wrestling (1985) which used a left-right joystick with the 'pull' effect of the Super Punch-Out ducking control and a power button. Mask X on Arm Wrestling is actually Bald Bull in a mask which you need to pull off to defeat him. You also have to use the pull to grab a magnet to beat the robot arm wrestler. Arm Wrestling was the final Nintendo arcade game made before they dedicated themselves to the Vs System and Playchoice 10 games.

As sequels, Mike Tyson to me was a step down from the original two. He's down for the count! Knockout!!! :buttrock:

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Sequels of games are made to make the play from the previous incarnation better and/or to expand the storyline of that particular game however have you ever felt that the original was a great game play that you would most likely play again over many of its sequel? For me two game come to mind; one hinted earlier in the thread.

Mr. Do! is one of my choices, probably because Mr. Do's Castle and Mr. Do's Wild Ride were pretty different than the original. Do! Run! Run! was okay going somewhat back to its original play and Neo Mr. Do! was a wild version of the original but I'll always play the classic before the others.

Sequeled to death but the one that started the entire thing is the only game I loved playing...Mario Bros. Mario and Luigi jumping around and knocking over turtles and avoiding fireballs. According to KLOV:
The idea that this game would be for two players did not come about until Shigeru Miyamoto was inspired by Williams' Joust.
The name for Mario's brother, Luigi, who is introduced in this game, came from a pizza parlor nearby the then-new Redmond, Washington headquarters of Nintendo of America called "Mario and Luigi's."

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Finished a Metal Black playthrough and was reminded of this thread, as the credits calls the game "Project Gun Frontier 2".
Metal Black is so far removed from Gun Frontier that I find it incredibly bizarre that they left that in the end product

I also had a galaxy brain moment while watching Spinmaster and how it's basically a Joe and Mac spiritual sequel, a-la Sunset Riders > Mystic Warriors. I have no idea how I never made that connection all these years

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
The classic Sega driving game Out Run (1986) which many people know by...its musical soundtrack! Also Out Run was the second Sega release to feature SuperScaler technology - the first was Space Harrier. 1989's Turbo Out Run introduced a turbo button (hence, the name) and a few years later the twin sitdown driver Outrunners (1993) which allowed multiple cabinets to be linked for competitive racing. 10 years later the more realistic Out Run 2 (2003) came out but while it had the name, was it better than the classics where it counted...in game play? Inquiring minds want to know ;)