Arcade game sequels

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
It's way too easy ..If it's not really adding much in the way of anything new even though I do like the power up versions of Mr.Do! I need the difficulty be waay more than what it is now.
I also believe the Neo Geo Version should have combined the original,castle and wildride all into one..They just could have done so much more with it on this system....also ,I was very excited about getting that diamond in the colecovision version.The letter monsters eating up the terrain really made that one fun and intense!!!
BB
The power ups are kind of a zany twist that’s fun. You’re right it is easier though.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
I find the idea of "hidden" arcade sequels more interesting.
Like Sunset Riders > Mystic Warriors, or Commando > Mercs (in NA anyway). Or Spiritual successors/evolutions like Defender to Strike Force.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I find the idea of "hidden" arcade sequels more interesting.
Like Sunset Riders > Mystic Warriors, or Commando > Mercs (in NA anyway). Or Spiritual successors/evolutions like Defender to Strike Force.
How about NBA Jam became NBA Hangtime because Midway lost the rights of their own name to Acclaim who put out their own NBA Jam arcade game and home console games.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Berzerk (Stern 1980) will always be known not just for going into rooms and being attacked by robots but by its cute sayings: "Intruder Alert!", "Chicken fight like a robot!" and "Destroy the human!" However the sequel Frenzy (1982) to me was a very nasty game, full of shoot away and reflective walls, fast and cheap deaths. You could shoot 'Evil Otto' in Frenzy however another one comes twice as fast, then the next 5 times faster (in one level if you kill Otto, 4 of them appear!)
ng13.png ng14.png

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
How about NBA Jam became NBA Hangtime because Midway lost the rights of their own name to Acclaim who put out their own NBA Jam arcade game and home console games.

I played way too much arch rivals.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Anyone mention Double Dragon III
Double Dragon was a classic however when Double Dragon 2: The Revenge came out, they changed the controllers which was confusing at first (1 had Punch/Jump/Kick and 2 had Left attack/Jump/Right attack). Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone brought back the original controls and also had a three player option. The big thing that hurt the first two games: immense slowdown!!! Granted, it helped against some of the nastier enemies but they definitely show their age in that aspect. DD3 was a lot like Combatribes and Bad Dudes but the annoying thing about the arcade version was the buy-in option. Nice to have a game charge you extra quarters/tokens to buy weapons however buy special moves?!! Can't fault Technos for trying to help arcades make that extra bit of change ;)

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
yeah, DD2 had the technos style controls (like RCR and Comatribes).

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
MK2 was much better than 1 but 3 was garbage.
I wouldn't say garbage, but 3 was definitely a step back. Still an average fighting game of the era, not bad and better than many competitors, but compared to MK2 it's ass, and I was disappointed with it at the time. Over the years I've come to appreciate it a bit more though.

I was not a fan of Ikari III.
Ha! That's the only one I like to revisit nowadays. The first two, while I enjoyed them at the time, play like crap to me when I revisit them. I really dig the third one though. It's different that it's part beat em up/part shooter, and the whole jungle/warzone atmosphere is more fully realized graphically. I still play the NES port sometimes.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
I was reminded of the existence of Joe and Mac Returns last night.
What a colossal disappointment that was when I first found out about it. An arcade exclusive Joe and Mac sequel, but it's a single screen platformer like Bubble Bobble instead of the original scrolling platforming

Data East really shat out so many reskins of the same game around that time, huh. Tumblepop, Diet Go Go and Joe and Mac Returns all came out within the span of a couple years

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I wouldn't say garbage, but 3 was definitely a step back. Still an average fighting game of the era, not bad and better than many competitors, but compared to MK2 it's ass, and I was disappointed with it at the time. Over the years I've come to appreciate it a bit more though.

Ha! That's the only one I like to revisit nowadays. The first two, while I enjoyed them at the time, play like crap to me when I revisit them. I really dig the third one though. It's different that it's part beat em up/part shooter, and the whole jungle/warzone atmosphere is more fully realized graphically. I still play the NES port sometimes.

If you are also playing NES ports of I and II, which are horrible, then I’d agree. Arcade though…

IMO Victory Road’s amazing “Sentai Rambo” vibe cannot be topped in a game where you don’t even have a gun. I was a massive fan of I but mostly II. When III came out I think I probably played it one time and never came back.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Guerrilla War was the true Ikari III. ;)
Ikari III was the same as the first two in name and knob controller only though it wasn't that bad of a game. I find it interesting that a year earlier (1988) SNK came out with the similar P.O.W. Prisoners of War which was the same type of game minus the LS-30 Joystick.

Time frame for the following games:

TNK III (1985) 1 player tank game that likely inspired the Ikari series
Ikari Warriors (1986)
Victory Road (1986)
Guerrilla War (1987)
Time Soldiers (1987)
Ikari III: The Rescue (1989)

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
A sequel that is or is not one. Robotron 2084 (1982) is known and revered by every and anyone in the business. Blaster (1983) however is radically different in game play as you're flying in a spaceship trying to find paradise. Both games designed by Eugene Jarvis VID KIDZ team, the start of Blaster say it's the year 2085 and the Robotrons have destroyed the human race. You escape alone in a ship seeking Paradise (Stage 20). The Robot Grid waves do have giant robotrons on them and there are Brain Waves. Sequel or not sequel, that is the question.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Going from gate of doom to it's sequel wizard fire of course better graphics and more characters to choose from. I have more nostalgia for gate of doom since i use to play it allot in the arcades.I don't for wizard fire for since i didn't get a chance to play it until years ago on a compilation and again for arcade archives.Though that voice acting for wizard fire so cheesey :LOL::LOL:

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Joust...old, simplistic, never-ending. Felt comfortable playing. Joust 2...as much as I liked the concept of different stage settings, to me it just didn't have the same play or feel as the original. Maybe the vertical monitor instead of horizontal was a problem though it did make for more precise flapping. Then that changing from Ostrich/Stork to Pegasus to kill hatchlings easier but couldn't fly worth a damn.

It could've been worse like the Time Pilot/Time Pilot 84 and Vanguard/Vanguard 2 games where the sequels were nothing like the originals.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Forgot to mention from the previous post: They even made a Joust Pinball. One of the local arcades back in my heyday (early 80's) had this game and it was a bitch and then some to play alone. A table two player pinball with players on each end of the table. On a one player game, it was a challenge to try and hit the ball when it was on the other side of the playfield since your perceptive is reversed. It was one of those few two player games that was a blast playing.

032.jpg

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
1990 saw the dual player, dual joystick game Smash T.V. This game to me was Robotron on steroids. "Big money! Big prizes! I love it!!!"

A year later Total Carnage was released. Sadly I only played it a couple of times so it would be hard for me to judge which was the better game but the fact that you weren't limited to rooms like Smash T.V. and Robotron was a definite plus.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
1990 saw the dual player, dual joystick game Smash T.V. This game to me was Robotron on steroids. "Big money! Big prizes! I love it!!!"

A year later Total Carnage was released. Sadly I only played it a couple of times so it would be hard for me to judge which was the better game but the fact that you weren't limited to rooms like Smash T.V. and Robotron was a definite plus.
Smash TV was better than Total Carnage.