Anyone still playing Warhammer 40K these days? (tabletop game)

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Just finished moving from my old house to the new one.

Finally rescued some models from the basement:

1 Rhino
1 Land Raider
1 Drop pod
1 Dreadmought
1 Venerable Dreadnought
1 Spore mine :P

:buttrock:

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
How I almost left the hobby and my stupid plans from now on

Hey,

I think you guys know the new GW policy about selling 40k online. It means that we in Brazil are completely screwed. And the turd that is the WD codex for the SoBs was the final nail in the coffin for me. So, screw with them.

I started selling most of my GW stuff (and some Confrontation I had) yesterday, and it will give me back a lot of money: it's 3e Dark Eldar, metal Grey Knights and SoBs, and OOP Confrontation stuff, what will give me a good money in return.

So with this I'm planning on buying starters from infinity, Firestorm Armada and maybe Dystopian Wars too - cheaper stuff, cool minis and rules, and 100% off GW BS.

But I decided to keep my Space Marines (had started building and painting them, so it was my actual WIP project) so I'm keeping them for now, since a lot of friends will insist on this.

So, I was browsing the ForgeWorld site, and dunno why, their prices doesn't look soooo outrageous, at least for the stuff I want, so maybe I'll buy some stuff to pimp my army, like those heavy weapons kit, maybe even some shoulder pads and doors, since I suck with transfers.

So I'm considering this idea: going collector all the way, and start buying mostly FW stuff. i'll buy at a much slower pace, but focus on get just cool stuff from my marines, maybe do a pre-heresy theme, or something else. So, for now, i'll just paint tons of battle of Macragge marines, on a dirty tabletop way just for playing, and save time and money for the cool toys, and going replacing/repaining them little by little.

maybe it will finally work, cause i'm a perfeccionist, so i'm taking ages to have something on the table, and I keep getting frustrated to not have all the stuff I want or not being able to paint like I wanted, so I never get an army really ready for the table.

What you think?

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I think you should ditch GW altogether. They do nothing but screw their user base over and over and over.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I just picked up Firestorm Armada and Darkage when I went to gencon. They both were pretty fun when I got to play the demo games. Don't play 40k anymore but still have a few figures.

I like the lotr figures a lot and I've been picking up Inquisition figures here and there second hand as of late.
With any luck I'll be able to do some painting again soon. I've been too busy with other stuff for the last month or two.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I still like the Universe a lot and the back story.

I don't know about the earlier edition but 4th edition and on of 40K was, in my opinion, a pretty weak ruleset for a tactical miniatures game.

Focus on the fluff, the story, the narrative and you'll have fun.

40K is too unbalanced and broken to be taken seriously on any competitive level.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
I LOVE the universe and fluff, it's the coolest I ever seen, even after year of wargaming, RPG, video games and literature (well, for this alst one, Dune is untouchable).

I plan to continue reading the books and playing the games :)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Narrative campaign based gaming is the way to go.

As long as you and your friends agree on all the rules it's all good.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
It days forever just to figure out all the house rules with 40k. I think the universe and models are pretty slick, but I can't play the game.
The community with Privateer Press is amazing and the ruleset is tight. Plus, I can get a few games done in a session instead burning a whole weekend for 40k.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
I do like the 40k universe quite a lot. Though it has had a lot of years to build it up to its current state. The rules however are designed just to sell models and really are quite awful for playing. It tends to be one of the first miniature games people get into and something about it seems to keep them from wanting to try other rules systems. To me the miniatures and art are top quality, just take a different rules system like 5150 Star Army or something or adapt something like grunt, savage worlds settings, and you can have a real fun time with your favorite miniatures.

I've been into Privateer Press from back when Warmachine came out and then quit for a long while only to get back into that. Though the MKII rules were a big improvement I found rather quickley the reasons I got out of it were still there. Once again while the art, fluff, and figures are top notch the rules are overly directed for competive play and a bit bloated. Aside from being just silly at times, that and the the company seems to be trying to walk a fine line between in game and fluff and keeps crossing the fence on so many releases. Though the last Warmachine book and current round of releases I was very much suprised by how little of interest there was there. I've not bought a new model for that system in quite a while and am actually looking to get completely out of it.

As for miniature games, I'm pretty interested in the Song of Blades series. Ambush Alley games Force on Force and I got a pre release pdf of Tomorrows War from them. Also, 2 Hour war games makes some solid rules, and I hear that the GW lord of the rings game has a rules set that can be adapted to other systems. I've pretty much moved on to the point that if I want to play a game I want solid rules and the ability to not have to buy an 65 dollar figure to be able to compete. I like the idea of using miniatures I like that fit what the character or unit should be. As for the more standard fare of miniatures games I'm going to give Dark Age a try and I've picked up Firestorm Armada.

And just a side rant

I understand these game companies are out to sell their product but changing the rules of the game or the line of figures so your old ones don't work really is a crappy way to push your product. Put out a good looking miniature and it will sell. If not then how do these miniature companies that don't have big games do so well?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The ruleset for GW's Lord of the Rings game sucks. It's boringly simple.

The ruleset for GW's War of the Ring game, however, is pretty solid.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
The GW ruleset is what you want to use. Me and my nerdy friends use 2nd ed. 40k & Rogue Trader h2h rules and 7th ed. WHFB.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
For those who play other miniature game systems:

What skirmish type games are available where I can field a full force with around 12 models give or take? I'd love to play a miniatures game on a smaller scale.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
How about something less anime and more fantasy oriented?

Is there a WW2 miniature game that features a squad of 12 or so individuals soldiers. Could involve fantasy or sci-fi elements.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
As fantasy is concerned, there used to be Confrontation, but it's OOP now. I don't like fantasy genre for miniatures anymore. Check out Shadowsea, killer minis and a Cthulhu vibe included. Strange Aeons is nice too, but it's a pulp game in classic mythos vein.

There's some new skirmish fantasy games coming, like World of Twilight, Bushido, Relics and Nemesis, from Zenit. But I never checked any of those.

There's Force on Force, for modern warfare, but covers Vietnam and WW2 too. There's a spin-off for sci-fi called Tomorrow's War, to be released in September.

There's another game called Secrets of the Third Reich, that is supposed to be Wolfenstein-like (Nazis/weird science/magic), but never played it.

For modern warfare and WW2, you can find several skirmish rule sets, from minor publishers, with some research. Sorry I can't point you some, since I never was really interested in those. The Ambush Alley Games are top-rated (Force on Force, Ambush Z, etc) but they are a bit bigger than what you are aiming for. And about Infinity, it used to be more anime-driven, but the new designs are fleshing out nicely, and giving the game a proper personality. The anime stuff is most relegated to a couple of factions now, and just some units.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'll definitely give Infinity it a look.

A Wolfenstein like tactical miniatures game is would be right up my alley. I don't want something more grounded in reality, I have tactical board games for that.

Who can talk to me about Warmachine/Hordes?

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I'm fully converted to Warmachine Hordes.

Tournament level ruleset out of the box. Scales from 3 model battles to 100 model battles. Tons of scenarios given to you right out of the box. Very heavy hitting.
Most models are still metal in the Hordes line. The price scale is based on how much metal is used, not how many points the unit costs.
Warmachine and Hordes can play against each other. It's amazing how it balances out even tho they have different core mechanics.

The downside is you have to learn your opponents skills to get really competitive. Luckily you don't have to learn everyone's warcaster, just a few of them.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
yeah, not that was trying to bash on Warmachine or hordes in my previous post. It really is a solid game, but I'm kind of moved on to a more beer and pretzels style of gaming. Given the current generation of miniature wargames, as far as the biggest names goes PP is pretty much tops right now in my opinion. I will say that I don't like their plastics though, and after buying several plastic kits I've never gotten one I considered good enough to actually use. And by several I mean 3 different faction starters 4 heavy jack boxes, 2 light jack boxes and maybe more than that but thats all I can remember at the moment.
On a side note if anyone is interested in doing some wargaming trading give me a shout. Or if you're ever close enough to Owensboro ky lets get together and play a game.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Also, if the Privateer Press setting isn't your thing, Malifaux is gunning for a spot in the market. Very strong mini lines.

I wouldn't call the Warmachine ruleset bloated. It's very defined. You will not find yourself making judgement calls often. Every situation I thought was grey was already answered on the PP forums, and I found it with a simple google search.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I R painted another miniature, this time a Varghulf. This one was a rescue one.
varghulf1.jpg

varghulf2.jpg

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
^Thanks. Post more pics of your miniatures folks, I'm looking at you Lagduf! It's boring to be the only one :/

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
A better pic of the Wraiths, I also touched up the paint job a bit
wraiths2.jpg

A Banshee, their unit leader:
bansheem.jpg

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I just picked up the Dark Elf armies book :emb: I'm torn between them and Daemons. Either a Black Ark Corsair-themed raiding party type army or a Mono-Tzeentch force.