Anyone still playing Warhammer 40K these days? (tabletop game)

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Heading to a friend's place this weekend for some bloodbowl...

Here's an undead team I painted about 3 months ago:
2012-06-07194143.jpg

2012-06-07194130.jpg

And here's my vampire team I just finished about 15 minutes ago:
2012-06-07193821.jpg

2012-06-07193859.jpg

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
^Nice.

I just started my Dark Elf army. Got a Sorceress, 20 Black Guard and three Reaper bolt throwers. Been stripping, cleaning and undercoating them all week.

With the recent GW price hike and mandatory fine casting of certain models, I'm sticking to second-hand miniatures every chance I get.

Plus the super nerd in me loves to rescue poorly painted and assembled miniatures. :D

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The reason i was drawn to Hordes/Warmachine was due to how well it scaled. You can play matches with just 3 mini's, or with 100.
The idea is my friends would be able to put together a handful and play. It kinda worked.

I have been motivated recently to get back into painting. I might get some of that going next week.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
^Yeah, I wager that miniature piracy will explode in places like China now that 3-d printers are relatively inexpensive. Also, GW is painting themselves into a corner with their overtly greedy pricing policy. E.g Black Guard, now finecasted, 26€ for 5 miniatures, sheesh. Glad that I got metal ones off a local forum.

On another WH-related note, 6th edition 40k pre-orders open at 23rd of June, Duf et.al, what are your thoughts? Like I said above, I think I'll hop on that band wagon with the Dark Eldar, I'm bored to death of the goody two-shoes Eldar, having played with them for over a decade.

Orks.jpg

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
If you were not aware, recasting of mini's is already a major issue. A good majority of the stuff on ebay is recasted mini's from all manufacturers. Even a small one person company has had their casts stolen and resold on ebay, to the point of killing his business.

The shit is real, and it's fucking real people lives up.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
^I knew it was being done, but not that it was common practice,better stick to forums instead of eBay then. I haven't been buying 2nd hand, or online at all for that matter, for very long.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up on the counterfeit models.

As much as GW's prices are out of control, I don't want to unknowingly add to reasons they may see their bottom line being cut and them having to jack up prices farther. Shame the little guys in the mini game are getting hurt. Getting minis cast isn't exactly cheap.

@Late - I don't really actively play 40K. I like it enough, I like painting the minis, I like building scenery, and I like the source material. I'll get 6th edition to check out. I started on 4th edition and I liked what 5th added.

I just wish they'd drop the IGO-UGO turn sequence. I prefer some kind of alternating turn system (you move one unit, i move one unit, etc) that said I hear 6th addition is bringing back Overwatch.

How overwatch could be excluded from anything even pretending to be a tactical game, I don't know.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
How overwatch could be excluded from anything even pretending to be a tactical game, I don't know.

Yeah, I was also under the impression that 6th will be brining the game a bit more back to it's roots, hence the interest. I don't actively play 40k either, except some casual matches with 2nd ed. rules now and then, but unlike the FB fiasco, most of my friends have painted 40k armies, so I hope I can get them off their asses if the new edition is up to scratch.

About overwatch, I just saw a post in the 40k Facebook group, where some 16-yo kid was crying how rules like overwatch are "totally ott and slow down the game" or something to that extent, oh man...

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I just wanted to tell you guys that I think this crap is incredibly cool.
I wish I was hard core enough to into this stuff.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
i think this belongs here.

edit: hah, if you look close.... i see some neo geo in there.

cat.JPG

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah, I was also under the impression that 6th will be brining the game a bit more back to it's roots, hence the interest. I don't actively play 40k either, except some casual matches with 2nd ed. rules now and then, but unlike the FB fiasco, most of my friends have painted 40k armies, so I hope I can get them off their asses if the new edition is up to scratch.

About overwatch, I just saw a post in the 40k Facebook group, where some 16-yo kid was crying how rules like overwatch are "totally ott and slow down the game" or something to that extent, oh man...

I've no doubt that 16 year old is also of the group of people with whom the darker overtones of 40K completely fly over their head.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
I've no doubt that 16 year old is also of the group of people with whom the darker overtones of 40K completely fly over their head.

IntheGrimFutureofHelloKittyThereIsO.jpg

...because you cannot possibly have future, or near-future, RPG campaign-setting that isn't a GRIM DARK dystopian nightmare.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Oh boy the new edition of the Warhammer 40K rules is up for order...

...for $75 dollars.

What the fuck?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
SEVENTY FIVE FUCKING DOLLARS.

Ugh.

Allies are in, Flyers appear now to be a more standard unit type - looks like some vehicles that were previously skimmers, etc are now flyers. I wonder if there will be more emphasis on Psychic powers. I might actually go and read the 40k forums and see what details have been leaked.

Looks like a World Eaters Chapter is in order so long as I can ally all things Khorne with it (Bloodletters :)) (I have a bunch of Chaos Space Marines and one box of Bloodletters so this could be doable)

Probably be awhile before i pick up the new book...maybe September.

Edit: I hope the new starter is as good as the 5th ed starter was. That set was brilliant. Rumors are saying it might be Dark Angels versus Chaos Space Marines. I don't care for DA's but I'm not opposed to owning them. I'll take more CSM gladly.

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
imgp0721z.jpg

Dark Elf assassin, just a colour test for the upcoming army. I was also growing sick of painting endless amounts of Zombies.

Needs glazing, looks a bit chalky.

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Just got the current Eldar codex in the mail and I'm retrofitting my war host to 2012 painting standards, stripped the lot :D I'll get the rulebook next week.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I hear good things about the new 40k rule book from everyone at the hobby shop who has already picked it up. They tell me that a lot of issues were fixed. Then I ask them how do they the next book comming out will affect it and they get a sad face.

Anyhow I just can't do the GW rules anymore. I really like a lot of their figures and will buy them to use with other games but just can't get into their rules system.

Aside from that I'm taking my leave of Warmachine and Hordes for much the same reason. Just have to find someone to pawn all my stuff of onto now. The last two books did not contain a single item that I would consider actually buying and I really don't care for the direction the game has taken.

Though I've gotten pretty excited about some other stuff. I'm still playing Firestorm Armada and really like the new rule book for that. I've been collecting miniatures to build some forces for Tomorrows War / Gruntz, and then some historicals for Force on force and I ain't been shot mum.

Check out micropanzer miniatures - http://micropanzer.com/

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
You really only have a few options if you want to play mini games, otherwise you'll be lonely.

Anyone play anything from Wyrd? I see a lot of Malifaux, but I know little about it.

I'm also not a fan of the not-so-mini Mini's that Warmahordes has released lately. Really cool looking, but they bring little to the table. I still like this system and fluff more than the other games. It's not complicated, dead on rules, and great community with the Press Gangers. This is where I'm staying. I was even thinking of picking up a Warmachine army to go with my Trollbloods.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
If I knew someone who played I'd dump all my current minis and play GW's War of the Ring.

I really think that's an absolutely fantastic ruleset.

I also wish GW would put out more board games. Space Hulk was awesome, the pirate game was an OK move, but nothing that interested me. I just want one-off games using their miniatures.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
agreed. GW used to crank out games all the time. They seem to be afraid of any risk now, so they just stick to 40k.
Mordheim and Necromunda were really great games that just needed a little tweaking. Man o War was slick too.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Once upon a time GW released FURY OF DRACULA.

I've only played the FFG revised edition, but I'll be damned if that's not one of my favorite games of all time.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
FFG is doing Talisman as well. The good news is that this current release of it is done quite right. The art has gone back to much of the feel from 2nd edition and a lot of the characters have made a comeback. That and there has been quite a few changes for the better with some rules fixes and new mechanics.

I bought 2nd edition when it came out way back when. My friends and I played it just about every weekend for years and we had every expansion at the time. Those were good times. Honestly I can say that this newest edition is actually a better thought out and produced game than 2nd edition, and up to this point that one was still the best in my opinion.

I'm currently working on replacing the plastic figures that come with the game with cool looking miniatures that fit the characters. Then I've got the art and such for printing out my own character cards with pictures of the miniatures I paint. I've already replaced the plastic gold coins with metal ones I got and most of the counters have been replaced as well. I got a deal going with a place over in china and had a bunch of nice size synthetic gemstones created for me to use for the different color counters. Cost a little bit though but in the end will be worth it I think. Also have made a few other accessories for the game as well.