anyone playing that new skylanders game?

iluvmonsterz

Edo Express Delivery Guy
so the old lady is fully addicted to this gimmick of a game....it does seem to have a decent amount of shit to do and collect and such. any of you guys playing/buying the figures(she's into me for bout 200.00 on this game already)? i figured i 'd start up a thread for her inevitable questions and maybe to help out with and answer any question someone else may have.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
not in myself, but i did notice the game.

It's a cool gimmick. Arstechnica had a good write up of it. A decent game from what I saw.

If i had kids, I would definitely get them into this for myself.

iluvmonsterz

Edo Express Delivery Guy
i was suprised by the gameplay myself, its no ratchet and clank(then again, what is?) as far as the aesthetics. it seems like they put a bit of genuine effort into instead of a straight cash gimmick as i initially imagined. i think heather is about 5 hours in and still diggin it. she hasnt set up her internet account for it yet but it seems like that could be neat-o too.

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
I haven't picked it up myself (the $70 initial buy-in is too steep in a season so cluttered with other games), but I'm definitely intrigued. We just put them out on the floor for sale yesterday, but have yet to sell a copy. That didn't keep almost every 10 year-old (and younger) from rushing over the display and desperately trying to convince their parent(s) how badly they needed it. Truth be told, if this thing had been around when I was a kid, I would have been all over it.

The rumor mill has it pegged as a possibility for this year's "Tickle-Me Elmo". That has yet to be seen, but I wouldn't be surprised. As far as the apparent quality of the game proper, it was developed by Toys For Bob, a veteran developer that brought us such classics as Star Control I & II. They've always seemed like a dev that genuinely cares about their craft, even if they are wholly owned by Activision now.

iluvmonsterz

Edo Express Delivery Guy
i snagged heathers at the buy two get one free toys r us sale, 43 bucks i believe. my buddy bought the 360 and the 3ds versions so we just split it three ways. also the figures are buy two get one free at toys r us, but....there are other stores with their own exclusive figs and figures that are actally extra levels....hence my ole lady dropping all this loot on a single game. in reality though it doesnt get much better than watching your fiance/wife go hog wild over a video game. my life is pretty rad!

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
My gf bought it too, looks good but it is a bit too easy. There is no choice in difficulty so it might be too easy for some of us. Only way to make it a bit harder is using a different element character than adviced in the game. The good thing is that the characters can be used on any system,only the base is console bound.
So far she bought, besides the starting set, the Pirateship and Skull Island add-on packs and 2 packs containing 3 characters and a loose one.
There is a difference with the US though, where you pay $70,- I get to pay €70,-.
It is a great game for kids though and women/girls.
I think Nintendo is giving themselves a good kick in the ass for not doing this with Pokemon.

Trigger Happy: MINE, mine, mine, mine.

The way skylanders is played, could also be used for several other types of games. I hope this way of gameplay will be seen in other games to.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
Looks like an action RPG of sorts. I'm definitely intrigued with the idea and it's cool to hear that you can take the figures are can be used with any version.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I hadnt even heard of this till today in my store a promotional stand for it which includes 13 figures exclusive to Tesco was brought out, nice packaging but toys look very limited in articulation.

Last edited:

iluvmonsterz

Edo Express Delivery Guy
the toys have zero articulation. they are decently sculpted with a good amount of detail and range from cool to meh in the design area. on a side note heather ordered herself a guide from amazon but it says they are on a 2 to 3 week wait!?!? wtf?

iluvmonsterz

Edo Express Delivery Guy
hey ratson, has your gf had any issues with the the game locking up randomly? granted the 360 on my big tv that heather plays isnt connected to live so i dont know if there has been any updates as of yet....i ll hook it up to the interweb when i get home and hopefully that fixes it....is there such a thing as an unflawed game release anymore? i love being an unpaid beta tester!!!!

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
We had a lock-up once, when I switched characters or items and there was too many on the portal. It had to be resetted. No updates on the 360 for skylanders.
Besides that one time it worked just fine.
The official website is still only BETA down here and there is no way to use the online codes yet.
Pretty lame that the game is out and the site isn't even up and running.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
From what I'm seeing it's essentially a glorified card game but now with figures. More of a cash grab IMO when they could have simply made all the characters DLC instead of figures. As others said, too much coming out this year to buy this.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
too much money.

it would be interesting to be able to do everything in the game for $100 w. all figs. It's $300 all in to play this game with everything. $300 is too much for something like this. even for spyro.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah, we all know it's a gimmick. But at least they tacked on a decent game with some re playability.
The figs are nicely detailed as well.

Eric

Fight On!,
I haven't picked it up myself (the $70 initial buy-in is too steep in a season so cluttered with other games), but I'm definitely intrigued. We just put them out on the floor for sale yesterday, but have yet to sell a copy. That didn't keep almost every 10 year-old (and younger) from rushing over the display and desperately trying to convince their parent(s) how badly they needed it. Truth be told, if this thing had been around when I was a kid, I would have been all over it.

You just know those parents have already put Skylanders on their holiday shopping list.

It's an interesting idea and as a kid I'd be eating it up, I'm sure, but I can't help but feel that they dropped the ball with the starter pack pricing. Seeing as how the portals and the game disc are the only things not cross-platform they should have priced the starter packs shaving razor style and tried to make their money with the toys. $40 maybe, but definitely not priced higher than the average game if they want parents to swipe them off the shelves.

They also should have mixed up the characters included in the starter packs. Looks like 3DS is the only one that comes with different characters and takes away the incentive to buy the game for multiple platforms (although I guess the one portable system getting new characters was a smart choice, so they at least thought about it to some extent.) Really encourages trading but I guess they want you to buy the figures, not trade with each other.

Biggest plus I can see is the save file being saved into the figure. Well thought out.

PS: So the online code is just to tie your figure so you can't trade it later or how does it work?

iluvmonsterz

Edo Express Delivery Guy
they game itself and the figures are all around pretty decent. if the game was crap and the toys blew then i would proly have the old lady back off. as it stands i am more interested in the potential that the figures who store all their stats individually could be used for....i know its not exactly new tech but imagine hero clicks with a similar action rpg gimmick....oooorrrr marvel ultimate alliance with collectible blind box figures!!! man i would be broke for months!

heather got her guide from amazon and is currently puoring over it. if anyone has any guide specific questions feel free to pm me or what not and i ll have her answer what she can.

Last edited: