Anyone going to Texas Showdown this year???

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Curious if any of you guys in/close to the Texas area are hitting up Showdown this year? They are still announcing games for the line up. CvS2 and MvC3 also on the bill. Tekken 7 and Injustice 2 were going to be there too but the release dates changed. Organizer is trying to get a prelease copy for tourney use only. I could care less for injustice but Tekken 7 id like to see for sure.
This will be my first time hitting up Showdown even though i live in Houston.

https://txshowdown.com/

TS.jpg

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I thought this was going to be a Super Bowl thread.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
I've only been to the Houston area a couple times. Not a fan. Way too humid for me.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I've never been but my MOTW cart was the one they borrowed for TS5. Apparently Jwong played on my cart omg!!!!1

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Is Texas Showdown consider a Major?

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
I've only been to the Houston area a couple times. Not a fan. Way too humid for me.
Tell me about it, the humidity get pretty bad, pretty upset we didnt get much of a winter this year. I like the cold. Everytime i used to visit dallas i always thought , damn the weather is nice this weekend. In reality its just that much better in general. Been wanting to go to Dallas to scrub bust them at MvC at the weeklies they do at freeplay, but i have a job. lol

I've never been but my MOTW cart was the one they borrowed for TS5. Apparently Jwong played on my cart omg!!!!1
If i was you, id sell that cart, that dude is scum as a human and probably gave you some kind of disease by even playing on ur cart. lol

Is Texas Showdown consider a Major?
I believe so, I know last year it was a ranking tournament in the pro cup. I dont really keep up with all that stuff. Reason im for sure going this year is I won a vampire savior tournament acouple weeks back and the prize was they pay for my registration and game fee for CvS2. So with that paid for i just have to pay the game fees for Third Strike and Super Turbo. Even if I hadnt won that prize id still be going this year. Our group pushed for CvS2 to be on the bill this year and Javi one of the organizers of TS came to the cvs2/VS tourney and after seeing the turnout he threw it on there for us. So we are pretty happy

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Originally being for Austin I hate Houston. So no, I won't be there. If the Cowboys and Texans had made it to the super bowl this year. I'd have sold my kidneys to get in.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
So much geographical hate, are more and more people being sexually assaulted when they come to houston that i dont know about? jk

ive got friends in dallas that feel the same way about houston too. Besides the humidity , houston has been good to me. If i was given a chance to move somewhere in the nation these are the things i would have to consider.
-job/property market
-gun laws
-fighting game community
-marijuana laws
-COLD winters

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I believe so, I know last year it was a ranking tournament in the pro cup. I dont really keep up with all that stuff. Reason im for sure going this year is I won a vampire savior tournament acouple weeks back and the prize was they pay for my registration and game fee for CvS2. So with that paid for i just have to pay the game fees for Third Strike and Super Turbo. Even if I hadnt won that prize id still be going this year. Our group pushed for CvS2 to be on the bill this year and Javi one of the organizers of TS came to the cvs2/VS tourney and after seeing the turnout he threw it on there for us. So we are pretty happy

That's pretty awesome you guys have an old school following. Northwest Majors has been pretty shitty with the treatment of the classics, especially Super Turbo. The first super turbo tournament of legends qualifier for EVO was the last time i went to a tournament. I brought my head to head candy cab setup for that authentic arcade goodness. No help running the brackets despite being main tournament. We ended up finishing really late & the TO didn't even bother helping with the door. Non appreciated mother fucker, fuck that guy haha!

Im really hoping for Ultra SF2 to really take off.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
yeah, the orgainzer is very involved with the local community and plays alot of the old school fighters too so he appreciates them and knows that theres a a large enough group. I believe there was a vote of some sort and thats why SF ultra was added. MVC3 was added due to it being put on the back burner at alot of majors. CVS2 was added since we convinced him with the turn out to our monthly cvs2 tourneys and weekly meet up. The release date of Tekken 7 REALLY fucked up things for him. I was looking forward to play T7. So if hes not able to get a copy for tourney use pretty sure Tekken Tag 2 will be added to the line up. Houston was known for being pretty big on tekken so we def have the numbers that will show to that. I was trying to get Vampire Savior added as a side tourney, not enough local players and all the hardcore players that travel for these kind of events are already invested in final round since its happening the same month. I was sad about that.
I even found afew guys at our U of H meets that like old school neo fighter like Karnovs Revenge, Breakers revenge, kof. We were playing them on a laptop using fightcade, but thats better than nothing.

It will be cool if USF2 takes off and we get it on some different systems. Maybe it will be a better revival than HDR was

Last edited:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Originally being for Austin I hate Houston.

A can accept a scruffy Austinite not finding Houston to his hipster tastes, but aligning against H-town with DFW yuppie scum? That hurts.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
A can accept a scruffy Austinite not finding Houston to his hipster tastes, but aligning against H-town with DFW yuppie scum? That hurts.

Hipster tastes? Dunno about that. One of the main reasons I left Austin was because you either have lots of money and live somewhere full of bicycle riding freaks. Or you have not much money and live somewhere knowing the hipsters will soon be taking over your neighborhood.

They're a real problem. Glad I left when I did. Would I move back? Maybe in retirement, get some Cowboys season tickets, buy a big truck, and live out my days in the heat.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
i havent been to austin in about 5 years, didnt realize there was a hipster epidemic over there. Guess it makes sense though. Ive been meaning to go out that way. Havent Been to UFO in forever. Might go there next time there is a big Third Strike event or something.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
The Texas Showdown is right here in this thread.

I don't really feel that strongly about it. I moved out of Houston back in 2013. I'm in Central Texas now, and Houston and Austin have both changed a lot over the last few years. Austin's had it's thumb up its ass about bringing in the infrastructure to support the population boom. Houston can't catch up to its population, either, but at least it's trying. Houston's gentrifying even harder than Austin. The Heights are overrun with new apartment complexes. Montrose is all steakhouses and sports bars. I'm waiting for the next good Hurricane to wash it all away.

Looking at moving to Georgetown. Georgetown seems nice.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Georgetown is alright. Really turning into an Austin satellite at this point. It and pflugerville are where they shoved all the black people and Hispanics when the gentrification began. So it's got a lot more character, and a lot less vegan, cat friendly, coffee bars. I like Austin, but it's not the town I grew up in anymore. It used to be where old hippies lived, where things were a bit more liberal, where good barbecue, live music, and college football was your weekend. I remember going to every UT home game, every year as a kid.

Now it's a place where vintage bicycles, mustache wax, man buns, safe zones, and cat cafes reign. Yeah you can still see UT play, but they've been terrible since Mac brown left. You can still get good barbecue but it's got a radicchio reduction glazed over it. You can still hear live music but there's no talent in the artists. Festivals, a lack of national championships, and Californians turned what used to be the blueberry in Texas' tomato soup into a rainbow colored mess. Georgetown, Del Vale, Pfleugerville, and parts of round rock are where the old Austin went to die.

I go back once a year. Usually around thanksgiving. And sit and wonder what has happened to the place. Where my town went. Personally I think it went to San Antonio and hasn't looked back. If I moved back, I'd be looking at Lockhart, just to sit in range of the smoke coming off of Kreuz market, and salivate over beef ribs and brisket. Remember wearing my "Run Ricky Run!" Shirt, and thumping watermelons outside of heb (before they stopped selling fried catfish, and started selling orangina) and wishing I could resurrect Ann Richards.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
So much geographical hate, are more and more people being sexually assaulted when they come to houston that i dont know about? jk

ive got friends in dallas that feel the same way about houston too. Besides the humidity , houston has been good to me. If i was given a chance to move somewhere in the nation these are the things i would have to consider.
-job/property market
-gun laws
-fighting game community
-marijuana laws
-COLD winters

I might be able to accommodate you.

Bagheera369

New Challenger
W.Falls native, but living in Dallas. Wont be making Showdown, but would be happy to try and meet some folks at quarter lounge, or freeplay for some games.
We now have 2 Round-One's, 2 Freeplay Arcades, Cidercade (80+ games), Quarter Lounge, National Video Game Museum, FreePlay Expo(yearly), and Texas Pinball Festival(yearly).
I love UFO, and I know folks involved with Game Preserve in Houston.....but Dallas is really pushing the envelope as far as Arcades and events go for Texas.

BTW...for those looking at Georgetown....from what I hear, SunCity is projected to run Georgetown smooth over soon enough, so unless you like retirement communities everywhere....might be worth looking elsewhere.