Anyone get Darius Burst?

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
I have no clue if I'm touching this or not. I pretty much hate playing shmups with anything that isn't a Saturn pad, but once I re-mod my PSP I'll be able to use an external controller, that being a Saturn pad.

Darius Burst; I'm undecided and can't get a straight answer out of anyone. Apparently it's just average with great music, but has boring environments. One review on Amazon.jp mentions that it's "a mix of Gaiden and Darius".

For Christmas day I spent some time playing Darius Gaiden instead. I don't have a PSP collection and I'm not sure I want to start one, what with UMDs being gradually phased out and all.

Skat72

Kabuki Klasher
I am also curious if this game is any good. I love the other games in the Darius series. I might be getting it in a few weeks.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I really want this, but it's 4,000 yen! If anyone buys this please post a review. I might break down and get it later, I have way too many games to play right now.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
I really want this, but it's 4,000 yen! If anyone buys this please post a review. I might break down and get it later, I have way too many games to play right now.

Yeah, I was on the fence, had the credit but went for Dissidia Universal Tuned instead as I knew I wouldn't feel disappointed.

I still want to hear how this game is though..

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
I read it has the same multi path layout but only 11 stages. Looks awesome though.

SGGG2

n00b
I have no clue if I'm touching this or not. I pretty much hate playing shmups with anything that isn't a Saturn pad, but once I re-mod my PSP I'll be able to use an external controller, that being a Saturn pad.

Whoa. whoa. whoa. Info please. Links? Stella 2600 introduces gorgeous artifiacts into Yars Revenge and I want to play this on my tv with arcade sticks and saturn pads.

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
Whoa. whoa. whoa. Info please. Links? Stella 2600 introduces gorgeous artifiacts into Yars Revenge and I want to play this on my tv with arcade sticks and saturn pads.

I don't have any links, you can google it for yourself. You will need a modded PSP, a PSP to USB cable, RemoteJoy on your PC and enabled in your PSP's recovery menu. If all of that works, the screen should be displaying in the PC's application, which lets you configure controls to external controllers.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I just picked this up. 4,000 yen and a 61 meg download.

Really this game should be 2,000 yen. I can't believe the price, it will probably go down.

It's made by a company called Pyramid. I've never heard of them before.

It starts with an arcade mode, two secret modes to unlock (from looking at the instruction manual they are mission mode and burst mode), a view mode and an options mode.

The game looks a lot like G. Darius but with sharper graphics. Imagine the beams and shots from Gradius V.

The bosses are small after playing G. Darius. They can fit in the screen and do all the familiar Darius things and shoot the familiar Darius bullets. Nothing new so far.

The music is AMAZING. I'm sure this is Zuntata and the game is worth buying for the soundtrack. It's got the weird choir arrangements and spacey synth sounds. Very atmospheric.

The gameplay is similar to G. Darius, but no capturing and the levels are much shorter.

In the manual there is a lot of story (2 or 3 pages) and in the back is a history of the story of Darius. I never played Darius for the back story, so this is all new and somewhat cool. Story wise it looks like the games go in this order: G. Darius, Darius, Darius Gaiden, Darius 2, Darius Burst.

It definitely feels like a Darius game, but smaller. It's nice and would be a recommendation at 2,000 yen. I'll play a bit more and post, I've only played through it once so far.

EDIT - There's a lot of great information about the game in the shmups.com forums, a lot to read through, but here is a link from the ninth page onward: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27798&start=240

Looks like Burst Mode (which you have to unlock) is a lot of fun. Can't wait to play it.

I've played through a few more times and unlocked a ship and the mission mode. Game is pretty fun so far! Not quite as rad as Darius Gaiden or G. Darius, but a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
If it has fish bosses then it must be Darius!

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Yep, way too expensive for me.

Nice avatar, Opethian.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Got the game and played a bit last night

Bosses takes a long time to defeat...........I mean, they're not hard but just take a long time to kill them..........

I think it's a cool PSP shump..........too bad that gameplay is shorter than previous series.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
I think it kicks ass. I'm a huge Darius fan and I think this game is alot more balanced than Gaiden or G-Darius. Gaiden and G-Darius were way too hard and lacked an efficient power-up system.*(Die and lose everything...nice)

Returning features are multi-path layout, mini-bosses, and alpha beam...which has been renamed burst laser this time around but works slightly differently. There's arcade, burst, and mission mode(which is this game's answer to not having trophies I guess). Also, for the first time since Darius Force you can actually choose between different ships. There's a third hidden ship you can unlock after defeating burst mode.

The music is sweet too. I like it way better than the music in G-Darius. Mirage Castle is about the coolest boss ever, and has the most awesome fight music. There's also audio cues from Darius, Darius 2, Gaiden, G-Darius, and Syvalion used in some of the tracks. The dragon from Syvalion is actually a boss in the game.

Overall a fun and addictive shooter with a great soundtrack. Definitely a buy.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
I think it kicks ass. I'm a huge Darius fan and I think this game is alot more balanced than Gaiden or G-Darius. Gaiden and G-Darius were way too hard and lacked an efficient power-up system.*(Die and lose everything...nice)

Returning features are multi-path layout, mini-bosses, and alpha beam...which has been renamed burst laser this time around but works slightly differently. There's arcade, burst, and mission mode(which is this game's answer to not having trophies I guess). Also, for the first time since Darius Force you can actually choose between different ships. There's a third hidden ship you can unlock after defeating burst mode.

The music is sweet too. I like it way better than the music in G-Darius. Mirage Castle is about the coolest boss ever, and has the most awesome fight music. There's also audio cues from Darius, Darius 2, Gaiden, G-Darius, and Syvalion used in some of the tracks. The dragon from Syvalion is actually a boss in the game.

Overall a fun and addictive shooter with a great soundtrack. Definitely a buy.

I want this but the PSP is killing me at the mo. Socom tomorrow, then 100 Man Ton next week, then Peace Walker....

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
For odd reason the trailer did not include in the game. I thought the trailer was cool :confused: