Anyone ever used an ODB Bluetooth scanner on their car?

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
EDIT: It should say "OBD" not "ODB" in the title. oops

I figure rather then bring my car to a mechanic for a diagnostic, I could try out this method. Apparently if you have a car that OBD2 compliant(1996 & above) you can plug in these adapters and have them communicate with your cell phone or laptop to troubleshoot the issue(s).

I found a few here:

Bluetooth ELM 327 Diagnostics USB Cable - $12.99

Soliport ELM 327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner - $14.84

Actually a whole page full of them here

I want to get one to use with the Google Play app Torque Pro

Anyone have any experience with this? Does it actually work well?

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
$15? id gamble that on the best reviewed one in that price range. plus amazon. lots of protection.

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
I do, I got a cheapo one from dealextreme, no issues at all.

Get a smaller one though, then it doesn't stick out so far. Like the clear blue one on the page.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
These seem to be popular now. I know a bunch of people with them. For the most part, they don't use it for anything.
It's a cheap way to pull off error codes when things go wrong. Any auto supply place does this for free, but it can save you a trip.

the real money is getting access to the Error code databases. Some codes you can google, others will need special accounts.

arbormatt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Autozone does this for free and prints you off a list of what the error code or codes mean.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Autozone does this for free and prints you off a list of what the error code or codes mean.

+1

plus so does a bunch of the other auto part chains.

not pep boys though.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
I spent $300 for mine lol. But in all honesty if you want one harbor freight sells cheap obd scanners for like $60.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Autozone you say?... I went to Pepboys and all they told me was "emissions issue". Would be nice to know exactly what the issue is rather then best guessing it & ordering a part I don't need.

CrackerMessiah

Fu'un-Ken Master
An ODB Bluetooth Scanner? Does such a device allow a smartphone to collect rents from women of ill-repute?

arbormatt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Autozone you say?... I went to Pepboys and all they told me was "emissions issue". Would be nice to know exactly what the issue is rather then best guessing it & ordering a part I don't need.

Gas cap. Tighten it mofo :)

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior

I say goto autozone and get them to do it lol. My guess is its a PO420 code which usually means a bad catalytic converter sensed from the rear O2 but thats always the issue with my car buddies(going catless without retuning not smart on their part lol)

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
the gas cap was the 1st thing i thought it could be. replaced the cap and it didn't help.

as for autozone, i tried calling both of the ones in my area and both said they do not offer that service.

:eyesclosed:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Get the actual code, It should be something like P0171. Don't let them diagnose it, the internet is far more useful. Especially find websites dedicated to your model, they'll be able to key you in on some of the more likely causes in your specific car, since any one code can have multiple causes.

Ol Dirty Bastard

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
autozone / pepboys used to let you borrow the scanner for free. But some law changed or something like that and they are not allowed to anymore. I ended up buying one for myself then eventually sold it. only used it once on a check engine light.
i just went through emissions test on my truck a few hours ago and looked at the obd scanner they used , that thing is an antique.

Since you posted the links i think ill pick one of those Bluetooth thingys up.

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
I don't know guys... If some people prefer going to the shops mentioned, it's up to them. Free is free after all.

However, for a scanner that costs sub$15 including shipping, and the app that's around $5, it's not a bad deal.

Torque Pro gives you the error code and the description.

Here's a true story :

On my way home one day, car throws a CEL on the freeway,
Torque Pro is already running, I have a Samsung Tab 7 that has its charging cradle mounted to the dash,
Exit from dashboard,
Select Scan Codes,
Code comes up ( catalyst bank 2 not operating at optimum or something ),
Select clear codes,
CEL is gone.

Total time elapsed from the car throwing CEL, reading it, determining that it's nothing, then clearing it : under 30 seconds.

Can't beat that. :)

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I don't know guys... If some people prefer going to the shops mentioned, it's up to them. Free is free after all.

However, for a scanner that costs sub$15 including shipping, and the app that's around $5, it's not a bad deal.

Torque Pro gives you the error code and the description.

Here's a true story :

On my way home one day, car throws a CEL on the freeway,
Torque Pro is already running, I have a Samsung Tab 7 that has its charging cradle mounted to the dash,
Exit from dashboard,
Select Scan Codes,
Code comes up ( catalyst bank 2 not operating at optimum or something ),
Select clear codes,
CEL is gone.

Total time elapsed from the car throwing CEL, reading it, determining that it's nothing, then clearing it : under 30 seconds.

Can't beat that. :)

You determined there was nothing wrong with your car, despite your car telling you there was, while driving at highway speed and fiddling with a tablet?

Got it.

Marek

Banned
You determined there was nothing wrong with your car, despite your car telling you there was, while driving at highway speed and fiddling with a tablet?

Got it.

Thanks for the cliff's notes there.

I had no fucking clue what he was on about.

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member

Got it.

- I know where the "buttons" of the app are,
- Tablet is mounted securely on the dash ( running Torque all the time for mileage and temp gauges ),
- There was no "fiddling" ( unless you count changing stations on your car's stereo "fiddling" as well ),
- Highway is straight for kilometers ( not that I even need to take my eyes off the road for any period longer than one would normally glance at any of the normal instrumentation for )
- Specific code was most likely thrown for something as simple as accelerating more abruptly then normal.

So yes, you're right, except for the "fiddling" part. My "car was telling" me lies. There was/is nothing wrong.

Pulling over and performing said actions would have taken less than 2 minutes still, I don't think a trip to a auto parts store to get a scan that you still have to look up on the internet can take less time. :)

Last edited: