Anyone ever use a memory card in the Arcade?

mungrin

Panko KING,
When i was a kid and the Neo came out,one of the coolest things i thought they had was the memory card thing.You could supposedly save ur game from the arcade and finish it at home or something like that.I thought that was soo cool.I know eventually they stopped putting the readers in the MVS cabs.Guess cuz no one ever used em.But has anyone here ever done just that?Man that musta been so cool,bet everyone around was like WTF?Im just curious as to if it ever even worked.

Alex0916

Bling kills, but...,
I too used to wonder the same thing. I never had a use for because back in the day I didn't have the money for an AES system so I could never utilize this feature.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Personally I've always found the memory cards rather useless. If I'm going to the arcade, why would I want to spend money to start off on a character that I know will probably kick my ass in a fighting game. I'd rather just enjoy beating the other characters along the way.

Anyway, of course the answer is no for me - I couldn't even afford a Neo Geo memory card back then .... :kekeke:

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
In all the time I spent in arcades I never once saw anyone use a Neo memory card and a good percentage of the time the area it was meant to plug into was jammed with gum wrappers and other assorted refuse. The only game I have ever seen anyone use a save feature with was one of the Blitz titles where you could make plays on the home version and use them in the arcades.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
I used to see them pretty frequently and often made use of them.

Peoples' jaws dropped the day I lent it to my brother and they saw him put in a quarter and start on Amakusa.. hahah. They were trying to put in credit cards and everything, all to no avail of course.

Part of the problem I always thought was while it was a novel idea, it potentially robbed the arcade operators of revenue. Although unless one rented or owned a home system, I agree that ownership of a memory card was quite unlikely and that in the end prbably not even 5% of all arcade Neo players ever so much as came into contact with the card.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Anyone ever use a memory card in the Arcade?

Back in the day,..
No..

But today as I've ran into Neo Geo Cabs within my travels/with readers in them I've thought of doing it just to have done it..yet,I don't carry a memory card around with me.

The first time I really though about this was when I saw a Big Red in Atlantic City Boardwalk(Ripley's believe it or not)..
The Big Red there had a really nice reader plate sticker on it..
So,I bent down to look if I could see if it had a reader in it and I did..Thinking about it then,if I had brought my Neo AES to the Hotel I could of came back with the memory card since the cab had games in it that I had saves for on a card.

Then it struck me as I noticed a big Ass Security Camera lens looking right at the few machines in this small place...mainly in the Neo spot..
Shit,if I had stuck a memory card in it and pulled it out somebody might think I was messing around with the machine or stealing something off of it ..
I can see this happening in AC....Who the heck is going to know what a Neo memory card is....the explanation would be a pip..
To an Arcade operator now....am I robbing the machine by continuing at the end/further into a game using a card.?
..am I cheating them out of money..?
IMO,most don't know what that reader part is for..

How would you explain that to someone(vendor/etc) who doesn't know about this device,yet is thinking your hacking/tricking the machine or something.
(hey buddy WTF!! are you doing?)

Eventually I'll use a memory card in a Neo cab... when I run into a usual Summer put in Arcade 2 slot with Sam Sho 2 in it..
Or hopefully they'll bring back the 4 slot in the local Fuddrucker's Restaurant.

SeaWolf69

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Hah,

I did once, went to the arcade, put in my memory card & started on the boss for SS3 on a big red. The next day they had the memory card slot taped up :smirk: .

Hei

New Challenger
Its done all the time here. I even do it myself sometimes.

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
No never...they only allowed you to continue anyway with even more credits.... it should have just been used for saving high scores only.. for posterity!!....ah well an oppurtunity missed..

Curt

apostate
Asmoday said:
Blitz titles where you could make plays on the home version and use them in the arcades.

I this as well, a certain version of NFL Blitz which had a N64 Memory Card reader so you could load your stats from home into the arcade.

They were constantly touting the N64 version as near Arcade Perfect. I never actually used this feature though, and have never used it for a MVS cab.

In retrospect, it's very similar to what SNK's been doing since 1989.

Robert

20 Year Member
From my memories, I have never seen a card reader in a MVS cab in France.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
SeaWolf69 said:
Hah,

I did once, went to the arcade, put in my memory card & started on the boss for SS3 on a big red. The next day they had the memory card slot taped up :smirk: .
:lol: :lol:
I never try it myself, at all still if i did it would be for FFS.I think it would be fun to start off "fighting Ryo" just to show off.

The whole memory card 'thing was novel at best.

Still i find it a shame it wasn't made to save your....score :(

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
I used to use mine in the arcade but it wasn't much of a surprise to anyone. A lot of the top local players also had an AES, so it was a common thing.

K'DaSH

n00b
Never in my life did I see a NEO GEO memory card until just recently I bought one.
Overall I would say its obsolete with only 2KB of memory, and the fact that its only use really is to help beat games that you suck in enough to resort to buying one, ahem like me(damn even though I continue back with many more credits, I still can't pass 4th stage of magician lord :mad: , I swear games like that are completely lopp-sided)

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
In the UK we hardly ever see neo cabs let alone cabs with the memory card reader working. All the cabs that I have ever seen over here have always been blocked up with a steel plate in the reader slot!

mungrin

Panko KING,
I wonder if the cards work with all Neo games.I mean like if a cab had the card reader,would it work with like SS5 or SvC?

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Asmoday said:
The only game I have ever seen anyone use a save feature with was one of the Blitz titles where you could make plays on the home version and use them in the arcades.
F-Zero AX has a Gamecube memory card reader.

On topic, no I have never seen a person use one either.

Last edited:

dbarrett0928

Banned
memory card

I would be scared to use my memory card in a nasty mvs that has been beaten and abused at a bowling alley yet i had my own cab for a while and i used it on my own

PUNJABEE

Banned
I remember a guy I knew that worked at the arcade gave me one. I didn't even have a Neo at home, but I used to use it all the time back with SamSho 2. It always freaked people out to see one.

Katsu

Crazed MVS Addict
Cards

I somehow walked away with like 3-4 memory cards from an SNK tourney that was held at Notre Dame back in like '92. ;) Never really use them though. I have an MVS cab that accepts them and an AES, but the games are so short I don't even bother with them. The new game specific 'memory cards' with a magnetic strip seem pretty popular on Tekken 5 and the Initial D arcade racing game... so the idea of saving at the arcade isn't totally dead.

-Rob

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I used it in the arcade a lot, mostly just for the novelty of saving games I didn't own at home at the time. One time I forgot it and left it in the machine, despite the on-screen warning, but my friend alerted me to it about a 1/2 hour later, and the card had remained undisturbed in the machine.

mungrin said:
I wonder if the cards work with all Neo games.I mean like if a cab had the card reader,would it work with like SS5 or SvC?
Oh yeah, of course. This is a feature that has always been supported in the Neo Geo standard. There are only a few games that don't work with the memory card. There is a list of them somewhere. I think you can add Rage of the Dragons to that list -- as my MVS with Unibios set to home mode refuses to give me the opportunity to save.

I guess I'm one of the only people here that really finds the Neo Geo memory card useful. I consider it a necessity if you own the home system -- basically every used system I've ever bought or seen came with one. It was like they were issued. They weren't expensive or anything. And I found the ability to save basically anything pretty useful back in the day, maybe even one of the Neo's selling points for me personally back in the day. You have to realize that there really wasn't anything else like this on a console before the Neo -- when the PlayStation came out I basically assumed they took the idea from the Neo.

Not to mention you need the card on the AES to save Unibios settings, plus it's a required workaround for the asinine 4 or 5 credit limit found in the home mode of most games if you don't have the bios. They were smart enough to leave the limit out for fighting games on the Neo CD, but there was probably some conservative hard-ass at SNK keeping the credit limit in all the AES games -- "This is the way we have always done it."

Last edited:

pistolsniper

Cheng's Errand Boy
Katsu said:
on Tekken 5 and the Initial D arcade racing game... so the idea of saving at the arcade isn't totally dead.

-Rob

Id much rather use something like Soul Calibur 2, with a saved character on their network, rather than use a memory card.

bstoppel

n00b
20 Year Member
Every machine I ever tried it on had a penny or something stuck in the slot. That really got on my nerves.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Certain DDR cabs use memory cards too.

Not sure if you can bring info from home or if it just saves things you unlock for later use.

JONESGFX

Crazed MVS Addict
I used it a Long time ago to beat magician lord in the arcade. I cant really remember but I "think" the Aes had a limit on continues or maybe it was the "respawn" point... but i do know I needed to do it at the arcade.