Anyone else looking forward to FFIV (GBA)?

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
This looks much more appealing than the FFII-Easytype (US) release. I saw a picture of Cecil using Darkwave (which wasn't available in the US version of the game), and I really hope they're including the full version of items, difficulty, etc., that FFIV(JP) had over FFII(US).

pt_929937_20051104_screen011_2537108.jpg
pt_929937_20051104_screen012_2537108.jpg
pt_929937_20051104_screen014_2537108.jpg
pt_929937_20051104_screen022_2537108.jpg

On top of that, the game's been nicely touched up. Instead of Fire 1, Fire 2, Fire 3, we've got Fire, Fira, Firaga, there's character pictures next to dialogue boxes, and there even seems to be an in-game monster library now. I only hope they kept the priceless translation. Graphics have been touched up here and there. Oh yeah, and Mode 7 in full effect :buttrock:

Ships on 12/12/05!

All we're missing is FFV, FFVI, and Chrono Trigger. And as people have previously posted, the FFIII remake on DS looks fantastic.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Hell motherfucking yeah.
It may actually distract me from DQ8.
BTW, FFV and VI were announced for GBA...no official word on CT though.
It's gotta happen though...SO many people would buy it.
A PS2 remake of CT ala DQ8 would be even sweeter though.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Hmm, I thought about getting this, but I'd rather play it on a tv, and I don't have a gamecube and I don't wanna buy a gc and the thing that allows you to play gb games on the gamecube, so I'm just gonna get FFII off ebay pretty soon and play it on SNES.

Borman

Genjuro's Frog
Ill end up buying it, even if i just bought it for the Wonderswan a few months ago

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Still my favorite RPG of all time. What a great GREAT game. I can't wait to buy this. I don't like the changed portrait art, but I'll live. I will be playing this on my GCN on the TV for sure.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Hell yeah, FFIV on the go! I haven't played this game in a solid 11-12 years.

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
Would prefer a straight port. They seem to lose the charm of the original with all these graphical changes. Still, I may well end up buying it as it's a port of the original FFIV, not Easy Type.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
The only FF I have played was 10, and I played that for about 40 hours before getting sick of it and selling it.

However, I am tempted by this particular game (and FF III on the DS) because of the reputation. Bearing in mind I am not a hardcore RPG fan, can someone 'sell' this game to me?

Last RPG I played was probably Seiken Densetsu on the GBA, and I played that quite a lot before getting sick of it and selling it. Is FF IV going to be any different?

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
Ely13 said:
This looks much more appealing than the FFII-Easytype (US) release. I saw a picture of Cecil using Darkwave (which wasn't available in the US version of the game), and I really hope they're including the full version of items, difficulty, etc., that FFIV(JP) had over FFII(US).

pt_929937_20051104_screen011_2537108.jpg
pt_929937_20051104_screen012_2537108.jpg
pt_929937_20051104_screen014_2537108.jpg
pt_929937_20051104_screen022_2537108.jpg

On top of that, the game's been nicely touched up. Instead of Fire 1, Fire 2, Fire 3, we've got Fire, Fira, Firaga, there's character pictures next to dialogue boxes, and there even seems to be an in-game monster library now. I only hope they kept the priceless translation. Graphics have been touched up here and there. Oh yeah, and Mode 7 in full effect :buttrock:

Ships on 12/12/05!

All we're missing is FFV, FFVI, and Chrono Trigger. And as people have previously posted, the FFIII remake on DS looks fantastic.

This is probably the same game as the FF4 version on final fantasy chronicles. That one was on hard mode and they fixed a lot of the dialogue. The game is a lot tougher on hard mode, but really enjoyable.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Oh man, I can’t wait for this! FF II (IV) was quite possibly my favorite FF of all time. Although not close to the quality that was VII or X, II was still amazing! I will definitely be getting a copy of this! Sad as it is, I own the original SNES title as well as the PS1 version.

Oh well.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Spike Spiegel said:
Still my favorite RPG of all time. What a great GREAT game. I can't wait to buy this. I don't like the changed portrait art, but I'll live. I will be playing this on my GCN on the TV for sure.

Yup its one of my all time favorites as well. I just recently bought a GBA player just for this lol.

IMTheWalrus said:
This is probably the same game as the FF4 version on final fantasy chronicles. That one was on hard mode and they fixed a lot of the dialogue. The game is a lot tougher on hard mode, but really enjoyable.

Actually its an even better translation and with no loading times!

http://gba.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3145957&did=12

Fortunately, Square Enix (back when it was just Square) corrected a lot of the damage with a PlayStation rerelease included in Final Fantasy Chronicles. And now it's coming to GBA, one of countless Super NES ports to have graced the system in its four years of life. This is no mere repackaging, though. In fact, this could well be the definitive English-language version of the game.

I have one reserved and I cant wait to get this. I am feversly trying to finish Final Fantasy II on the GBA Dawn of Souls cart(that game is rough) before this comes out.

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
MilkManX said:
Yup its one of my all time favorites as well. I just recently bought a GBA player just for this lol.

Actually its an even better translation and with no loading times!

http://gba.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3145957&did=12

I have one reserved and I cant wait to get this. I am feversly trying to finish Final Fantasy II on the GBA Dawn of Souls cart(that game is rough) before this comes out.

It's funny you mention the loading times, because ff4 on psx would only have one load necessary to put the entire game into RAM. It was really done well. But I'm definitely going to get the version for GBA anyway.

Underdog

Camel Slug
As long as the translation isn't the original SNES version, which it's not looking to be, I'm psyched.

I still wish it had been a DS remake though, like FFIII.

Last edited:

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I'm more hyped for FFVI on the GBA personally, but I'll probably get FFIV.

jp.

Angel's Love Slave
I believe FFVI has already been announced for the GBA.

Also, is 12/12/05 the US release date!?!?!?

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
jp. said:
Also, is 12/12/05 the US release date!?!?!?
Ship date for the US according to EB.

I agree that this is much better than the PSX for one reason: no loadtimes. Hopefully the music still rocks as much as it did back in the day. Boss theme and Zeromus theme :buttrock:

CGI intro aside, I'm not sure why FFIV (or any of the other SNES ports) would have any loadtime on the PSX. That loadtime is why I didn't buy the games (and I read that the PSX doesn't do a terribly faithful job of making it identical to the SNES versions in regard to music).

If they have new dialogue, I hope they keep Tellah's 'You spoony bard!'.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Easily my favorite rpg of the 16-bit era; of course I'll be swooping it up.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
genjiglove said:
I'm more hyped for FFVI on the GBA personally, but I'll probably get FFIV.

Eh, I agee kinda.....but I would hope they added a little more than with the PSX version.

Like a playable General Leo, Bannon, or train Ghost....