Anybody else use e-cigs / personal vaporizers?

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
I smoked my last cigarette about a month ago, and have been vaping ever since. The transition has been absolutely painless.

I'd love to get a chat going with other vapers, or could help you make the move yourself from smoking to vaping.

Google around about the health and cost benefits if you're interested.

PleaseKillMeNow

Aerobics Instructor,
My girlfriend and I tried it a few months ago, but stopped within a week. While we both agreed it was a great way to quell cravings, but we both like the taste/harshness of real smoke and like using them as an excuse to step outside and have a break.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
thats how i quit. I used the "blu" brand. it was a great sub- the vapor had enough weight to it to fake it for me.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Almost 7 months here.
Use E-Go batteries with the 510 connector.
Manual only please, hate that auto battery crap.
Have a preference for directly dripping on the atomizer, the tanks I've tried all seem to leak. Can't stand the fiber filled tips.
One of the best decisions I've made, Feel so much better.
After the initial expense ($45) my $40+ a month habit is now only $13. Still too much, but i'm stepping down the nic content till I reach zero & quit all together.
Still get the urge to smoke a real cig, especially after a large meal, but a few puffs & I'm alright.
Hell, I doubt I could smoke a regular cigarette now.

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
Awesome.

I started with a crappy 510 T starter kit that I flooded and broke within a week. It lasted me just long enough to show me that I could replace smoking with something much less dangerous and annoying.

I've ended up with some Ego Twists and a Lavatube (only because ivape are clearing them out for cost).

It's important to give vaping a chance with some good hardware and good tasting juice. You can get a great throat hit and a great nic fix with the right gear and some tasty juice.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
So how exactly do these things work? I looked at a couple of different products but there seems to be multiple components.

Cartomizers, liquid, atomizers, chargers, automatic and manual etc. :conf:

I just want to get a basic kit to try it out.

Also seems to be all sorts of silly ass liquids but I just want something to be as close to smoking a regular cig as possible.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I own two different models and various liquids. Technically, they're quite nice but I have yet to find a liquid that doesn't taste like dog shit.

I mainly use mine to razz militant non-smokers, it's fun to take out one of my e-cigs and start puffing away in a Café or train. :)

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
I picked up a cheap kit from 7-Eleven last year and gave it a shot. Not the greatest, but I enjoyed it for what it is was. I ended up just moving from that to normal cigarettes not too long afterwards, but I noticed that the Walgreens near me sells both disposable Blu e-cigs and the full kits. Definitely considering picking one of those up, since I like having a hit of nicotine around when I need it and it would be nice to move away from cigarettes.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Many of the liquids make me cough harder than normal cigs.

terry.330,

the standard e-cigs vaporise the oily liquid with heat, it pretty much works the same way as a fogger at the club. Due to the low boiling point of the liquids, it only takes a moderately high temperature to vaporise them so the smoke stays cool. The liquid does not get in direct contact with the heating coil, it's more like a boiling process so there are not tars or other burning products. These things run off (rechargeable) batteries.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I love smoking, It used to grip me but now I mainly keep it to pub nights. A bit of self discipline and you can keep it to a single occasion as long as you can put up with a crappy 1-2 days afterwards ;) A friend of mine switched to e-cigs for a bit and liked puffing at work. It was quite hilarious to see the reactions of those around him haha.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I love smoking, It used to grip me but now I mainly keep it to pub nights.

Same, I also do not smoke anymore unless I'm drinking, a pack lasts for a weekend.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I'v been doing it for over three years now. Been using the e-go but I need to buy another kit now. Used the 510 before that. I smoke regular cigarettes now and then but usually not. I dont like the taste of them.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
a dude at work smokes one of the blu ones from time to time. He usually falls back to regular cigarettes though after a day or two.

I had someone at a mall kiosk try to get me to buy them when I still smoked but I didn't really like it.

I quit cold turkey about 2 years ago. Still want to smoke every. single. day.

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
Don't be turned off by the cheapo gas station kits - actually, they're more expensive than a good setup and don't work very well.

Get an Ego Twist battery and a clearomizer. Super easy and long lasting - no dripping or leaking. Ivape has some great juices.

Because their is no combustion, you'll be hard pressed to find something that actually tastes like a cigarette. Most times, people quickly realize they don't even want tobacco flavours, and end up vaping some tasty juice flavours.

I'm now a hard-core vapist!

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
a dude at work smokes one of the blu ones from time to time. He usually falls back to regular cigarettes though after a day or two.

I had someone at a mall kiosk try to get me to buy them when I still smoked but I didn't really like it.

I quit cold turkey about 2 years ago. Still want to smoke every. single. day.

I stopped over a week ago now. This is my 6th attempt.

That whole wanting to smoke every single day thing is what has killed all previous efforts. But I'm just taking this one day at a time now.

I tried one of those e-cigs, and it's just not the same as getting the full hit of smoke.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
So how exactly do these things work? I looked at a couple of different products but there seems to be multiple components.

Cartomizers, liquid, atomizers, chargers, automatic and manual etc. :conf:

I just want to get a basic kit to try it out.

Also seems to be all sorts of silly ass liquids but I just want something to be as close to smoking a regular cig as possible.

I had this amazing post all typed out, then one wrong keystroke & it's all gone.

Automatic Vs. Manual
Auto batteries are just that, auto.
Just start drawing & they start working. Most newcomers tend to start here.
I don't like them & here is why,
1. Slow start up. It takes about a half second of drawing before the vaping actually starts.
2. Most of them have an auto shut off after 6 to 10 seconds of draw.
3. They are more susceptible to damage from a flooded atomizer.
I feel they use a little more battery power too, some disagree.
However, they are dead simple to use & can not be accidentally be activated in your pocket.
Manual batteries have a button that needs to be pressed & held to use them
It sounds cumbersome but after a few days it's second nature.
I like them as you decide how long the vape will last.
Like I mentioned, it is possible to activate one in your pocket, thus burning juice or ruining atomizers.
Some have a lockout feature to prevent this.
Almost all manual batteries are sealed so an atomizer flood won't kill it.
You will have to decide but I always vote for manual.

Cartomizer Vs. Atomizer
An atomizer is the part that creates the "smoke". It essentially boils the juice into the steam.
Other than the juice itself, this is the most costly part to replace at about $5 each.
I recommend buying extra with your kit & maybe another extra every/every other juice order.
I also don't recommend using one atty with multiple flavors, Use a clean one for each flavor.
They should be considered a consumable item, you will get months of use out of one & less than a week out of others.
This does not seem to be brand specific, read the reviews before you buy.
They require either a cartage tip, drip tip, or tank to function.
Cartridges are usually polyester filled & wick the juice into the atomizer. (like how a Zippo works)
They are probably the cleanest way to vape. they are re-usable unless the poly fill burns. (the poly fill can be replaced)
I don't like them as capacity sucks & when they become empty the poly fill can "burn", Permanently affecting taste.
They can also hold a flavor, which is bad if you switch flavors allot.
Tanks hold a large (5 Mil or more) of juice, Thus giving all day vaping with out refilling.
Some folks swear by them, I find them leak prone & cumbersome. (To be fair they all leak to some extent, But when a tank goes it ruins everything)
Drip tips, These work by directly dripping the juice onto the atomizer.
This are my preference.
They hold the least amount of juice but IMO yield the most consistent vape & best taste.
You can make one by gutting a poly filled cart or buy a pre made one.
I bought mine, anodized aluminum in different colors. This lets me keep track of what batteries are charged & which need charging.
Three drops of juice are roughly equal to one cigarette.
It can be slow & messy if you're not careful or someone bumps you while filling but the results are the best.

Cartomizer
These are basically an atomizer & cart in one piece.
They are convenient, But IMO still suffer from the same problems as an atty/poly filled cart combo.

I won't go into juice, it is far to personal a choice.
My only recommendation is to start with a cig flavor then start experimenting.

I would stay away from the ones you find in the quick marts or malls (crown7, Blu, ect) they are cheap & some have a proprietary connector on them, that locks you into their product.
Whatever you get I strongly recommend it have a 510 connector, it is the most common in the market so parts & accessories are easy to come by.

Every kit I have ever seen comes with a charger. Almost universally it is USB with a wall adapter.
You will eventually want a spare.

The "close to a real cig" comment is common.
I strongly suggest you DO NOT get into this looking for that experience.
You will never get it, vaping is not smoking.
I still want to smoke a real cig from time to time, but vaping keeps me "clean", if you will.
Vaping is an alternative or a succession tool.
Use it to quit smoking regular cigs or for when you can't smoke.
Other wise give it a real chance & you may find that it works for you.
It sure does for me!

THIS is pretty much the same kit I started with after I got serious.
Again, I recommend you get extra atomizers at the least.
I would throw a drip tip in as well.
Don't forget to add juice to whatever you decide to order as most kits do NOT come with any.
Any questions just ask, I'll try & answer if I can.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Quit smokin' a while back. Trying to quit nicotine altogether now, but would kill a man for some Kodiak or Skoal right now.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
Those E-cigs don't really do crap for me. I bought 2 disposable at walgreens to try them out. The 'regular' ones taste like coffee, and the menthol one doesn't taste all that bad.

Basically I sat here and smoked 1 all the way til it was gone and I swear there is 0 nictoine in them.

I'm trying to stop smoking, but then I just go to dipping, then back to smoking. Do the patches or gum actually work?

SamSpade

n00b
Yeah, I used to dip when I was working in the Christmas Tree lot at my work, never got it into my routine like smoking cigarettes though. As for the drinking and smoking thing, I like to enjoy a nice Alec Bradley with some drinks.

I tried the e cigarette things and all that, tried patches which actually helped me quit for several weeks, tried chewing carrots like Bugs Bunny, but ultimately, I just enjoy my Marlboro red 100's. I do think I might try and quit again though.

EDIT: The gun tastes like shit and it's not worth it, I did have some luck with the patches though.

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Do the patches or gum actually work?

gum: its like i could feel each individual tooth wiggling. i thought it was super unpleasant- but i never chewed- it might be fine.
patch: best result for me only it leaves a mark in the shape of a patch that doesnt go away for like a week. so you could end up looking like a quilt by the time you are done.

SamSpade

n00b
gum: its like i could feel each individual tooth wiggling. i thought it was super unpleasant- but i never chewed- it might be fine.
patch: best result for me only it leaves a mark in the shape of a patch that doesnt go away for like a week. so you could end up looking like a quilt by the time you are done.

Agreed on the gum being weird for me. The patches would leave a red mark where I put it but it would go away the next day. The biggest thing is to put it in a new place each time. As I went along, my skin gradually got less agitated from it. Sometimes they wouldn't stay put. I actually thought the generics stuck better for whatever reason.

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
Agreed on the gum being weird for me. The patches would leave a red mark where I put it but it would go away the next day. The biggest thing is to put it in a new place each time. As I went along, my skin gradually got less agitated from it. Sometimes they wouldn't stay put. I actually thought the generics stuck better for whatever reason.

my experience was using nicoderm patches. There's 3 typestypes. 21, 14, and 7mg. You start with the 21 and work your way down. Using for the first time is almost like drinking a lot of energy drinks. That's because 21mg is the equivalent of a pack of ciggs and your absorbing more nicotine than you're used to. But after a while you get used to it. I found it the best way to quit. As for falling off. Ioff. I used a large bandaid to keep it in place.