any dynasty warrior 5 fans/players?

orochi_lubu

Sho's Rival
naturally drawn to it of course, they do has new changes and characters

guan ping, (best remembered from the battle of fan castle, faceless general)

xing cai, (if im not mistaken, she was on the kessen series)

ling tong, (if you have dw4, the battle between wu and huang zu. if ling cao is killed then ling tong will replace him, faceless general)

cao pi (in a number of battles like chi bi and guan du, faceless general)

pang de (in a number of battles but best known in the fight at tong gate, faceless general)

zuo ci (he was rumored to be a mystic and had dealing with cao cao)

new layouts of familar fights, new air charge attacks, and new items (like the tiger collar which gives you a tiger while in battle)

musou rage almost makes a "super self" for a short time with power,speed, and defense increase with true musou attacks to boot

the only griefs i have (which aren't too major are)
light, medium, and heavy weapons. with heavy weapons their attacks are real slow and charge attacks leave you wide open. with the pearl looking symbol however you can do up to 9 normal attacks when the musou gauge is full.

and bodyguards. while you can have up to eight you can only have one in battle. but you can do a double musou with the guard if you and he/she have a full meter

new true musou attack for the characters along with new looks and endings for each warrior.

enemy a.i. has improved. they can team up and attack you and some use musous as well.

even if your not a fan of the series but like final fight, streets of rage and the like, than this is the game for you. a good rent if nothing else.

slerch666

updyke,
I was pissed they dropped the Japanese language from DW4. I waited for DW5 to be released before buying. I found out by playing it at a friend's house that it was also English only. Looks like Koei isn't getting my money this time around.

They can't top DW3 anyway. It is the greatest PS2 game ever made. The Xtreme Legends adds to the greatness of DW3. DW4 XL was gh3y and I never bought it. I did byt DW4, but was disappointed by the weapon system changes and the canned endings. The canned endings appear to have been fixed, but the language things is something I just can't get behind.

I'll buy Shin Sangoku Musou 4 (DW5) for my Japanese PS Two when the price drops.

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
I like Samurai Warriors more. Mitsuhide and Hattori Hanzo own everyone for free. I did like Dynasty Warriors 3 a whole lot though. However this is like the 10th game already and I just don't see paying $54.99(with tax here) for it ever again.

toy_brain

Amano's Drinking Buddy
I dont think DW5 is out in the UK untill june/july-ish. Koei UK always seems to take a while releasing their own games over here, still, I dont mid the wait as I'm a huge DW junkie, and besides, the PAL versions are always totally slowdown-free.
I've been playing DW4: Empires quite a bit lately, as well as rebuying all the older DW games so that I can go back and see how the series has progressed (Jesus Christ DW3 is hard). I also got the chance to play the Jp version of DW5 on a friends modded PS2 which whetted my appetite - and gave me a chance to hear the Japanese voices for once (Though I still really dig the uber-cheesy english voices :p ).

Guess I'll get Kessen 3 when it comes out next week, to keep me occupied untill DW5 eventually comes out.

slerch666

updyke,
toy_brain said:
Jesus Christ DW3 is hard
It's a fucking GREAT game, MUCH better than 4 (and no, I'm not just saying because of the language thing) IMO. I just don't like the weapon system in 4.

It's the only game in the last 5 years I've taken the time to open EVERYTHING up on. Every mission, every character, every ending (can't get all the items for some reason, even though I've completed the game with damn near 20 people). The only thing I haven't done is get all the 4th weapons. I've also taken the time to finish the game with all the XL characters, and playing as the Zhu Rong is hilarious, what with all the insults she throws at the other female characters.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Great. Now SCEA's English-only policy has even invaded Koei games. They really should've given at least these games some slack. Don't they realize that the fanbase is expecting the language option?

slerch666

updyke,
Kirk Foiden said:
Great. Now SCEA's English-only policy has even invaded Koei games. They really should've given at least these games some slack. Don't they realize that the fanbase is expecting the language option?
It's not SCEA, it's all Koei.

DW4 had no language option. The ONLY DW game to include dual language was DW3. So again, this is all Koei, not SCEA.

Notice they released Samurai Warriors in dual language.

The .hack games were dual language as well (from Bandai, but you know what I mean).

toy_brain

Amano's Drinking Buddy
Kirk Foiden said:
I cant remember if the UK releases of the DW and SW games are multi-lingual, though I do know that when Koei published Disgaea, Phantom Brave and La Pucelle Tactics in the UK they pulled out the Japanese speech so that the games would fit on a CD rather than requiring a DVD.
Not that I really mind though because:

1) No-one else was ever going to publish them in the UK.
2) The English voice-acting is pretty good anyway.
3) Given the niche market for them, I can understand why they would want to minimise production costs.

Am I pissed at the lack of a language option for the DW games? Well I have to admit I have always been curious as to what the Jp voices sounded like, so it would have been nice just to compare, and - in DW2-3 especially - the english voice-acting was laughably bad in a fall-out-of-my-chair-in-hysterics kinda way.
Its gotten a bit better for the DW4 and SW games, enough to stop the hysterics, though its still a 40/60 split between crap and passable.
I always saw the corny acting as part of the DW charm to be honest.

Well, Slerch knows what I'm like, It would take some screechingly bad english voice-acting to ever turn me away from my dubs :p

Last edited:

slerch666

updyke,
toy_brain said:
Well, Slerch knows what I'm like, It would take some screechingly bad english voice-acting to ever turn me away from my dubs :p
Well, friend of mine let me hear this one character... and to say she was ear bleedingly bad, seriously, is not an understatement. No way I'd ever want to play as her... hearing her speak during cut scenes was bad enough, thanks.

At least they are using is it, Bang Zoom, for the dub and not "oh, you work in the marketing dept? Your voice works, come here and record this dialog for us. Thanks". I don't like Zhen Zi, but that's personal preference (can't recall the woman's name, but she played Faye on Cowboy Bebop) and not because she's "bad."

toy_brain

Amano's Drinking Buddy
slerch666 said:
At least they are using is it, Bang Zoom, for the dub and not "oh, you work in the marketing dept? Your voice works, come here and record this dialog for us. Thanks". I don't like Zhen Zi, but that's personal preference (can't recall the woman's name, but she played Faye on Cowboy Bebop) and not because she's "bad."
Its not Bang Zoom, its just Koei's own 'Voice group' as they are called - though they do pick from the same talent pool as Bang Zoom and all those other LA-based anime dub companies, so its not unusual to hear someone like Wendee Lee (Thats Faye's VA) voicing a character.
Shame it isn't Bang Zoom really - the voice-acting would have been a lot better if it was. :D

My favorate line from DW3's comical english dub:
"You flaming iiidiots!!"
(You gotta her it to get the full effect)

KaedesDisciple

Angel's Love ,
20 Year Member
Now I'm a huge fan of the series, but what's my motivation to buy 5? Everything I've seen and read is that this really isn't much of an improvement over 4, which I love and have played the crap out of.

Are there any nice new and or improved features, and can I import my data from DW4?

bloodriot

Galford's Armourer
I haven't played any of them, but I like too which one should I get first?

DW3 sounds like a nice start since it's supposedly the best in the series? :multi_co:

toy_brain

Amano's Drinking Buddy
bloodriot said:
I haven't played any of them, but I like too which one should I get first?

DW3 sounds like a nice start since it's supposedly the best in the series? :multi_co:
Its probably best to just jump straight in at DW5, as once you've played the newest DW game, going back to older versions tends to feel a bit....umm.... archaic.
DW5 has the furthest draw-distance, most enemies onscreen at once and also stuff like falling towers that can damage you, a better stronghold system and what sounds like a better bodyguard system (though I never used bodyguards in DW or SW ;) )
I know Slerch likes DW3, Theres nothing specifically wrong with it, but I find little niggles like being shot by archers that are just outside the games draw-distance a bit annoying.

Also, as each DW game basically re-tells the same story, so you dont have any background to catch up on.

bloodriot

Galford's Armourer
Thanks for the great info TB I've heard that they're making 5 for the PC[grapix whore mode :buttrock: ] (we'll probably never see it though? but just maybe lik sang?)

or should I just get the PS2 version instead, I've heard some really nice things about the PS1 versions but they must have aged by now?

slerch666

updyke,
Fuck that. DW3 IS the best. Graphically they all look (except 2) about the same.

DW4 was stilted because of the endings and the weapon upgrade system I didn't like.

5 I haven't played enough of and won't.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I was really into Dynasty 3 and 4. Samurai Warriors is the game that burned me out... the problem with the whole series is that it lacks an instant continue. They let you play an hour, then challenge you for the first time, then kill you, then force you to repeat everything up to that point. I hate shit like that. If you want to punish me for dying, fine, but don't make me repeat everything I just did. I have better things to do with my time. :annoyed:

PS... I refuse to DW abbreviation here. I own Dragon Warriors 1-4 on the NES, and if someone's talking about DW3 or DW4, those are some hefty RPGs there!! ;)

PPS... my favorite 3-kingdoms-era game remains the RPG Destiny of an Emperor, also on the NES. Lu Bu is an asskicking, backstabbing sensation in that game, and finding the 5 tigers (who are the only characters in the game that can get xp) while using rogue warlords to hold the extra spots is one of the better gameplay systems RPGs have ever seen.

Last edited:

SilverAngel

Member,
I am a big fan of the dw series!!!! Cant wait to get my hands on dw5!

SW sucks I was very VERY disapointed with that the characters that appealed turned out the have really shockingly crap personalities take kunoichi for example since does a female ninja act like a over hyper scoolgirl????

Anyway yeah DW I think 3 is my fave so far and the characters I love are

Zhou Yun
Sun Shang Xiang
Liu Bei
Da Qiao (Not keen on the 4 design)
Nu Wa (yes I know she wasnt in the romance of the three kingdoms)

I have read the romance of the three kingdoms and all they seem to do is cry in it but its worth it :)

toy_brain

Amano's Drinking Buddy
bloodriot said:
Thanks for the great info TB I've heard that they're making 5 for the PC[grapix whore mode :buttrock: ] (we'll probably never see it though? but just maybe lik sang?)
I was under the impression that the PC game was gonna be based on DW4 Empires - which is a decent game anyway, but I could be wrong.

bloodriot said:
or should I just get the PS2 version instead, I've heard some really nice things about the PS1 versions but they must have aged by now?
The PS1 Dynasty Warriors game is a totally different beast to the PS2 versions. I think its just a 1-on-1 fighter. Well, theres no way in hell the PS1 could do at those enemies on the screen at once.

I'd say either go for DW5 on the PS2, or if cash is a problem you could try DW4 Empires (again, on PS2) which is basically DW4 with a very basic stratergy front-end tacked on, shorter and tighter battles, and the 'stronghold' system from DW5. It should give you a good 'taste' of the DW gameplay and its a decent game in itself.

'Course, theres always Crimson Sea 2 it you'd prefer a sci-fi story to your hacking action....ahh, I'd better stop there or I'll start making things even more complicated :make_fac:

bloodriot

Galford's Armourer
thanks for all the info :buttrock:

I'll try and get SW5 for the PS2 (sounds like a much, much better chaos legion man I hated that game :mad: )

I have a link to the non-playable demo for the PC for SW3:

http://download1.gamecity.ne.jp/demo/SM3Demo.exe

Although DW4 Empires could be very interesting on a high spec PC will westerners even be able to get a hold of it :spock: ...

I'll look into this Crimson Sea 2(sounds great) in the meantime thnx for the info again :mr_t:

Last edited:

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
I'm a big fan of the series. I heard Ling Tong for Wu uses Nunchuckas (spelling?).

I saw the opening fmv with Zhao Yun taking on an entire army. Sweet.

Questions for Dynasty Warriors 5. The best gameplay wise dynasty warriors created so far is arguably Dynasty Warriors 4: Empires.

Is the stronghold system still in place?

Has character tracking been removed?

I heard Lu Bu is still stronger than ever this time possesing 2 health bars instead of 1. Can anyone confirm?

Why DW4 was an improvement over DW3. I can't agree with Slerch here.

Things you did in previous battles affected the overall outcome of later battles. New levels were unlocked in this way.

You could receive character bodyguards in levels by helping allies during battles.

Character recognition - Running past an ally that shares a relationship with a certain character would cause different dialogues between characters. Some were comical, some were historical, but it immerses the player further in the game. eg Player = Xiahou Dun and is fighting alongside Xiahou Yuan,
Xiahou Yuan - "Yes, brother Dun we will crush them". "I thank you for your help brother".
Or Player = Cao Cao and encounters Ma Chao,
Ma Chao - (in anger) "Cao Cao!!!"

A complete range of new unique charge 1 and 3 attacks. Musous for certain characters were also improved. Some characters also had unique jumping charges and some had unblockable attacks such as Lu Bu's Charge 1 spear thrust. New attacks for certain characters whilst riding a horse. Try Ma Chao.

Duels. Not exactly the best idea, but this is how battles were fought back then.

Siege Weapons. Zhuge Liang had the wooden oxen, juggernauts and arbalests created so it was good to see them implemented in the game. Apart from that you also had battering rams, bridge layers and catapults to deal with.

Archers are no longer the strongest unit. Unless you were Gan Ning or a fast character those guys were near unstoppable.

Finally the overall layout of the levels is better. DW4 made the levels more unique and historical.

I don't care about the language option though I admit some voices are pretty dodgy.

orochi_lubu

Sho's Rival
@BigFred the stronghold system is slightly altered. you can take out the guard captain and gate captains to get in and "destroy" the base but you can't take it over like in empires. you can still find generals on both the radar and mapscreen. and you can still check on the enemy/ally life and name. as for Lu Bu, when you fight in the si shui gate and hu lao gate he will be supercharge and yes he does have a second life bar. however all name enemy generals after the second or third stage will have the additional life bars. supercharged generals can use the musou rage, axe, and armor. running away from them and the final commander will cause morale drops on your side and they will be healed. and yeah ling tong is sporting the nunchucks :buttrock:

@Kaede's Disciple sorry but you can't import data on this one. their are new looking soldiers and faceless gerenals. the game will have a pre-strategey to follow for an easier win.

@silverangel nu wa and fu xi aren't in this one unfortuately.
their is still the character reconigition between each other( i.e. guan yu and cao cao or sun ce and sun quan)

however the single "throw" charge that some of the larger characters had (like Lu Bu and Cao Ren) have been removed. so no more unblockable 1st charge. and no more taunts to guardbreak. most of the voices from 4 are in this one as well.
one on one duels are gone. and a new faceless enemy called the sorcerer has replaced the bombers in 4. lastly their are no more caws. (created faceless warriors that you can name whatever with the gerenals moves)

Last edited:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
slerch666 said:
I was pissed they dropped the Japanese language from DW4.
Hmmm... I wasn't going to resurrect this thread, but I just noticed the other night that Dynasty Warriors 4: Empires most certainly does have the language option. I need to find my copy of the regular 4 to see if it is missing there... it would be interesting if the language option was only in the tactical expansion.

slerch666

updyke,
neojedi said:
Hmmm... I wasn't going to resurrect this thread, but I just noticed the other night that Dynasty Warriors 4: Empires most certainly does have the language option. I need to find my copy of the regular 4 to see if it is missing there... it would be interesting if the language option was only in the tactical expansion.
There is, most DEFINITELY not an option for a language change in DW4. Might be in Empires, but since I never bought it, I wouldn't know.

The option is also sadly missing from DW5.

Trust me, I know.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
I really need to check out 4 again. I kind of forgot because I typically leave the English language on, because I do enjoy some of the funny sounding junk that comes out of the English voices (not always to their intention, either). I played a lot of 4, but I played Samurai Warriors much more recently, so I kind of forgot about the option, or lack thereof. I've been playing the Xbox versions, quite a bit, so I don't remember if there were any differences in options. I usually tend to be behind on them, as I was late coming into the series. It does keep the prices low for when I want to get the next one. The thing is, I may end up skipping this one and wait for the inevitable next big release. I never really feel pressured to get each one, as they come out. For one, I never finish up the ones I got (more characters to play), and I kind of demand an even higher amount of changes before I feel warranted to get the next one. The differences between 3 and 4 were high enough, IMO; to the point that I keep both with no intention of getting rid of one for the other. Perhaps if they release 5 'the Xtreme War faction' version, or something, I'll get that one. But for the time being, between 3/4 and Samurai Warriors, I have plenty of gaming left in them.