Another metal slug 3 with graphics issues

Jiggle

n00b
Hi,

I have a genuine metal slug 3 cart with graphical and sound issues. The fix layer is perfect, and the game appears to be running fine as far as the game code is concerned. I have tried:

- cleaning
- Inspection under a microscope
- reflowing all of the pins on the neo-cmc
- checking continuity of all address and data lines to the neo-cmc, all were <1 ohm

None of these made any difference. I have tried several other games in this motherboard and all are working fine, so I don't believe it is the motherboard (MV1B with unibios).

Photos of the issue here:

- -
From searching on this forum, I'm currently thinking that the neo-cmc is dead. I would love to get a second opinion on this before I go ahead and swap the neo-cmc from a working KOF99 cart. Does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be? It's certainly odd that the fix layer works perfectly; that makes me think that the mask ROMs are OK, it's just that an address or data line is stuck exiting the neo-cmc.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
It looks like it's the CMC. If you live in the US and you need a replacement board drop me a PM 20 USD shipped.
EDIT:NVM, you live on another planet.....
BB

Last edited:

Jiggle

n00b
Thanks for the offer, but yes I am not in the US. I already have a KOF99 on the way as a donor, will report back if it works.

Jiggle

n00b
After quite a wait to get this done, I lifted the CMC from a KOF99 and replaced the one on the metal slug 3 board. Now it works great!

I feel a bit bad about destroying a KOF99, but that game doesn’t really mean anything to me…

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I love KOF 99. My brother and I split the cost of the used MVS cart and printed the moves from gamefaqs when it was a year old. Many hours were spent fooling around with it in 2-player mode.