Android and Linux Handhelds - Shield, GCW Zero, GP2X, Pandora, Pyra, JXD, etc.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Yes, why a GB style for adding 6 buttons and one joystick.. But I agree it looks functional and more than GamePi43.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Been playing with the GPIMate today. The CM3+ makes such a massive difference. I can actually enjoy this thing now. Really digging it. I don't give a shit about PSX/PSP and up - I wanted something to handle 16-bit and down with ease, and this does it. Was playing a ton of NGPC, Lynx and GB/GBC/GBA today and it was exactly as I expected/wanted.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Yeah I've been contemplating getting one.

I don't care about the startup/load times and am perfectly happy with all the systems you listed but wish some of the unique mid 90's+ arcade games ran better.

I know I'm mostly happy with them on a 3+ regular system versus the pi zero.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Thinking about getting one of these handheld emulator machines for my brother for christmas. He was interested in hacking a PSP Go for the form factor and for playing some emulated things, but im sure something else would meet his needs. What's the best go-to these days? He's looking at PS1/PSP and maybe PS2 stuff.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
You'll need something pretty high-end to run PS2. The GPD Win Max, maybe?

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
nRhAmfC.jpg

yYugTxM.jpg

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Looks like there are a lot of new handhelds that's come out this year. What's the go-to for cheap gaming now? I love my GPi but it's not very ergonomic. I'd probably just get a cheap Pocketgo but they seem to be sold out everywhere.

16-bit

Angel's Love Slave
20 Year Member
Looks like there are a lot of new handhelds that's come out this year. What's the go-to for cheap gaming now? I love my GPi but it's not very ergonomic. I'd probably just get a cheap Pocketgo but they seem to be sold out everywhere.

RG350P, end of story.

I mainly use it for gba, tg16 hu and CD, and PSX. I play two of my favorite games on it almost every day: Advance Wars and L.S.D.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Big fan of the GKD350H Game Kiddy if you can find one cheap, pretty similar to the RG350P mentioned, plays pretty much everything up to and including PSX. The only problem is by the time you buy the latest and greatest, a new and better product comes out of China. Great d-pad on these machines but nowhere near good enough for Street Fighter or KOF

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
RG350P, end of story.

I mainly use it for gba, tg16 hu and CD, and PSX. I play two of my favorite games on it almost every day: Advance Wars and L.S.D.
Ended up taking this advice, except I got the RG351P instead. I was flip flopping between the two since the 351 is quite a bit more powerful, but has an odd resolution and screen aspect ratio compared to the 350.

This thing is amazing. Good build quality, the controls are great, it's lightweight and comfortable, and it runs things way better than my Pi handhelds. I just got it for like Gameboy, Genesis, maybe GBA if I'm lucky. This motherfucker plays Street Fighter 3 with no issues.

The resolution thing is a non issue it seems. It looks goofy on most systems at first, but turning on RGA scaling makes most everything look good. For the low res handhelds it's strong enough to run shaders without a noticeable performance hit.

The only issue really is that it seems to be marketed as a device that plays Dreamcast, n64, DS, and other difficult systems. They'll run, but you really shouldn't. PS1 is really the max you'd want to play on it.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
PowKiddy RGB20

nNpFsoH.jpg

By default it's EmuELEC, but we can install Batocera. RGB20 use exact same hardware as Odroid Go Advance from Hardkernel.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
My LDK is the last device I'll get with that shape The trigger buttons above the screen and the top-heavy component distribution are a recipe for hand cramps. The original Odroid Go had the right idea: leave the trigger buttons off (or put them behind the screen... hard to tell where they are on the RGB 20 and RG 280v from these pictures) and put a nice heavy battery at the bottom for good life off a charge and a more DMG/MGB/CGB type of balance.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, not every handheld needs every button. The Odroid Go is nice to have as just a Gameboy/Gamegear/NES. I still use it even though I have more powerful handhelds.

16-bit

Angel's Love Slave
20 Year Member
Yeah, not every handheld needs every button. The Odroid Go is nice to have as just a Gameboy/Gamegear/NES. I still use it even though I have more powerful handhelds.

The Odroid Go looks really good. How does it run 16-bit level stuff like TG16CD, Genesis, and SNES?

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Thanks...I'm glad I passed on it.

I get where you're coming from, but for me, an 8-bit only handheld is just amazing. The right number of buttons for everything through tg-16. Good stuff.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
At this point, what’s the best one? Say you wanted to play primarily PC Engine and PS1 games.

I have an RG350, and it plays Ninja Spirit, which is a big plus, but something that can sleep would be awesome. Also something with a less shitty UI would be cool.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
At this point, what’s the best one? Say you wanted to play primarily PC Engine and PS1 games.

I have an RG350, and it plays Ninja Spirit, which is a big plus, but something that can sleep would be awesome. Also something with a less shitty UI would be cool.

I've been using the GPD XD for a few years and couldn't be happier with it. Good battery life, big screen, clamshell form factor and excellent PS1 performance. D-pad could be a lot better, but I've been mostly playing rpgs and slower games, so I'm good with the analogue stick. Android as a base OS is a strong point too. I've read there's a newer more powerful revision out there, but I'm not sure how it is.

Last edited:

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Thanks for the info Ocean!

Anybody care to post their experiences with the Retroid Pocket 2? I’ve heard some say that there’s input of, and others say there’s not. Would love a definitive answer.

Also, anybody own both an RP2 and an RG351P, and care to post opinions of the two in comparison with each other?