Android and Linux Handhelds - Shield, GCW Zero, GP2X, Pandora, Pyra, JXD, etc.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I put together the Odroid Go last night. It's pretty much a Gameboy Pocket that runs ROMs. Feels the same and the screen is much better than an actual system with a backlight mod. The only real flaw is that it has no headphone jack, which is a bummer. I'm sure someone makes a hat or something for it to fix that problem.

It can do Gamegear very well too, but the NES emulator is pretty poor.
5259b936807848a07ade1515ca2e6759.jpg

So, for standard GB - aspect ratio is correct? sharp pixels? no screen tear?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Aspect ratio is correct. There's no screen tearing in the GB or GBC emulators, but there are some in the others. Pixels aren't super sharp since it is still scaling, but if that's a huge concern this probably isn't the device you want. The GPI is a bit nicer in that area, or something like the GPD Win has a high enough resolution screen and the horsepower to apply shaders so it can look however you want.

But if I'm playing an old Gameboy game I don't really care about all that. This already looks better than any of my real Gameboys and GBCs, with or without mods. I just need to fix a couple of little niggles and it will be perfect to me. It's probably my favorite thing to play Operation C on now.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
After messing with these for a little over a week, I find myself grabbing the Odroid more than the Pi handheld, even if it's the inferior system and the Pi does everything better. The form factor is just too good. I have yet to figure out how long the battery lasts since it seems to last forever and it's so small and light it doesn't give my hands cramps after playing. Also, the NES emulator is growing on me. Although screen tearing and some horizontal funkiness when set to 4:3 are kinda nasty it actually plays extremely well. Good enough for me to play completely through Zelda 1, Punch Out (Tyson will slaughter me if there's any lag) and SMB3 even feels good although the screen has some artifacts when you are running fast and a lot is happening on the screen.

I do wish they'd update this thing with a slightly newer PCB and screen. The screen tearing issues apparently happen because of some flaw with limited bandwidth between the system and the screen and not actually the emulators themselves, which is why it doesn't do it in Gameboy games since the resolution is lower. But as it is now I'll take the tradeoffs for something that's both pocketable and comfortable to play.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
After messing with these for a little over a week, I find myself grabbing the Odroid more than the Pi handheld, even if it's the inferior system and the Pi does everything better. The form factor is just too good. I have yet to figure out how long the battery lasts since it seems to last forever and it's so small and light it doesn't give my hands cramps after playing. Also, the NES emulator is growing on me. Although screen tearing and some horizontal funkiness when set to 4:3 are kinda nasty it actually plays extremely well. Good enough for me to play completely through Zelda 1, Punch Out (Tyson will slaughter me if there's any lag) and SMB3 even feels good although the screen has some artifacts when you are running fast and a lot is happening on the screen.

I do wish they'd update this thing with a slightly newer PCB and screen. The screen tearing issues apparently happen because of some flaw with limited bandwidth between the system and the screen and not actually the emulators themselves, which is why it doesn't do it in Gameboy games since the resolution is lower. But as it is now I'll take the tradeoffs for something that's both pocketable and comfortable to play.

you are making me want one of these, plus they're cheap!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'd probably be bashing it if it were expensive to be honest. Most people would probably be better served by a Bittboy or something.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
The Chinese market seems to really be upping its game. This is basically an updated GCW Zero, isn't it?

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Ordered the Odroid Go after watching this video:

I've been wanting a decent '8-bit era' handheld for awhile, and this seemed to fit the bill with the custom firmware.

I know that the old firmware on these wasn't great, what with screen tearing, but I'm hoping it'll be addressed eventually in this CFW. So I thought I'd take a chance on one, since they are relatively cheap.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Ordered the Odroid Go after watching this video:

I've been wanting a decent '8-bit era' handheld for awhile, and this seemed to fit the bill with the custom firmware.

I know that the old firmware on these wasn't great, what with screen tearing, but I'm hoping it'll be addressed eventually in this CFW. So I thought I'd take a chance on one, since they are relatively cheap.

I made a Odroid Go thread.

Why did he paint his gold, looks kinda tacky. Tons of YouTube videos of people painting them. Dunno why, guess people gotta be different. I think the system looks sharp clear.

Wish he would've tested the T-16.

No the latest unofficial firmwares were good enough with screen tearing.
I'm surprised it's gotten any releases at all. I'm sure they didn't make a million of them.

You guys laughed when I called this a 8 bit power house but the processor is roughly 266mhz, the same speed as a Dreamcast. The systems limitations are the ram (32 megs) and only having two buttons.

So anyways yeah, always wondered why it didn't at least have PC Engine support.

I had a 300mhz PC with 32 megs of ram in the late 90's. I could play most most all of the cart based systems Neo and CPS 1-2 included and a lot of Mame. Some people with the right graphics cards could play N64.

Imma get at least another one for my Dad.

https://github.com/retro-esp32/RetroESP32/releases
https://github.com/retro-esp32/RetroESP32

Oh Lynx support......
Why isn't C64 checked?
Wheres MSX?

BTW if anybody reading this works on the firmware or knows who does can you do an update for the master system to support sg-1000 roms or give it its own icon? You can rename the roms extensions it will play them but the color palette is usually messed up.

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I prefer clear consoles/handhelds, also, but I didn't hate what he did with it. TG-16 would be nice, but I'm more interested in Game Gear/Master System, GB, and NES.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I did a quick install test.

[[ I like the Go Play GUI (looks like retro pi) much better and it has screenshot support.
I just wish it had more core support for other systems rather than loading up the firmware for those particular systems. ]]

Frequently crashes, Master System won't list games, Game Gear menu crashes and resets the menu.
I have the system loaded up with every game ever made + a bunch of high quality homebrew. Sure it doesn't help.

Colecovision compatibility seems lower so far.
Played NES DuckTales, screen tearing seems worse then the last firmware I was using.
Need to drop some Lynx and TG-16 roms on the card and test that out.
Hopefully that makes it worthwhile.

Another system I noticed missing that I believe that has a working core is the Atari 5200

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Hopefully that's all fixable, and that they continue to support the cfw and update it. I won't lie, I'm a little bummed it isn't better than what you're reporting. I'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
After a bunch of hassle I got the tg-16 games to run.
It runs pretty craptastic at the default setting of skipping 3fps and not much better at higher settings.
Couldn't get the lynx games to run and I give up.
I'm going back to the go play triforce final firmware

Last edited:

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
My two new handheld consoles

GamePi43 (w/ Pi3B+) and GPi Case (w/ Pi Zero)
WgR0HkP.jpg

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Just placed an order for an RG 350M (aluminum body, revised button layout compared to the RG 350)

rg350m.png

Looks like a great pocket psx.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Still waiting for mine to arrive, but it looks like they've finally enabled the HDMI port on the RG 350 and 350m.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Would love to read your opinions on this one. It looks good design-wise, but I wonder if it's comfortable to hold for long sessions and if buttons aren't a bit to cramped (those analogue sticks look too much towards the edge maybe?)

I'm still rocking the GPD XD as my portable emulator station, I love the clamshell form factor, big screen and battery life. The d-pad is its bigger downside, but since I mostly play PS1/SNES RPGs I use the analogue stick.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Still waiting but at least USPS says the package is in this country now.

Still have the Shield Handheld in the meantime. I wish Nvidia hadn't ended support. I still love this thing, and steam-link is a lot better than Nvidia's proprietary in-home streaming was.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
First off this thing is heavier than you might think:

Did a quick weigh in

GBA Micro with Ez Flash: 3.15 oz

LDK: 3.7 oz

Odroid Go: 3.95 oz

gp2x wiz: 4.85 oz

Caanoo: 6.5 oz

NGPC (with cart and batteries): 7.35 oz

RG 350m: 8.85 oz

NDS XL: 11.3 oz

Shield Handheld: 20.85 oz

Will need some time experimenting with firmware and emulators, but I ike it.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
First off this thing is heavier than you might think:

Did a quick weigh in

GBA Micro with Ez Flash: 3.15 oz

LDK: 3.7 oz

Odroid Go: 3.95 oz

gp2x wiz: 4.85 oz

Caanoo: 6.5 oz

NGPC (with cart and batteries): 7.35 oz

RG 350m: 8.85 oz

NDS XL: 11.3 oz

Shield Handheld: 20.85 oz

Will need some time experimenting with firmware and emulators, but I ike it.

cool, more importantly this list made me sad that I've sold most of those handhelds and wished I still had them. I loved the Caanoo....loved it (the Wiz too, amazing little handheld). I really wish it could've taken off. I also loved my Nvidia Shield handheld too...traded it for a Vita. But it's a damn cool device.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I've messed around a little bit but for now I'm back on the firmware/emulators that it shipped with.

I've played a couple of hours of Megaman Legends 2 and it's great. Battery life seems very good, the screen is bright and colors are true at any angle. Dual shock controls are working correctly and the unit even supports rumble.

Moving away from PSX, also tested Klonoa Moonlight Museum for the Wonderswan. This is the first device I've used where the layout allows me to play the portrait stages without issue.

il_794xN.2393754063_5xzh.jpg

Since I am going to use this unit mostly for PSX, I placed an order for custom buttons and a bezel overlay.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
Don't sleep on the PlayGo. It's baller, especially after flashing CFW. It's a 350M without aluminum or HDMI.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
The PlayGo does look nice. I saw Taki Udon's video about the color temperature being better than on the Go-Play 2 models he'd been playing on. I'd probably go for it if the 350 wasn't an option. As it stands, I'm more likely to get the Odroid Go Advance since, when it's in stock, a single unit is about the same price as the PlayGo ($75 shipped to my location) and the rockchip is robust enough for N64, Dreamcast, and PSP. (They are in stock right now.)

Really loving the 350m, though. I'm still on the stock FW and the battery life is more than enough for the amount I'm likely the play on a given day. It feels incredibly solid. The build quality is on par with, or better than, my GPH consoles. Some have compared the build quality to modern Nintendo, and they may be right. YMMV, but mine seems that good. I'm not sure I'm going to rush to crack it open to install those custom buttons. I don't want to mess up a good thing.

Mine shipped with pcsx4all 2.4 (Compiled 3-12-2020) and runs at a stable 60fps for most games. I was very pleased to find that it supports .pbp compressed images.

If Dreamcast, N64, and PSP aren't dealbreakers for you, I'd say go for it. Maybe find a seller that will ship it in fewer than 2 months, though.