Anbernic RG351V

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Got one of these from amazon yesterday but haven't had much time to fiddle with it due to other mindnumbing shit. But it seems like a rad little handheld. Got a real nice screen and good button/grip feel. Anyone try one of these out yet?

rg351v_banner.jpg

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
My cousin sent me that photo asking if it was any good. I have no experience so I told him it might be another cheap clone. Might have to revise that if it's not too bad...

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
ETA Prime loved it, and it's fairly nice. Only thing I cant figure out yet is how to get out of a game. It works very similar to Emulation Station, I think its a different fork but its 99.9% the same interface. But the standard function key (like Select+Start to exit) isn't working in any combination Ive tried. Im proably just missing something.

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
No manual? Worst comes to worst power on and off and remove SD card?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Yeah power down works fine, there's even a reset button. But that literally restarts the device. In Emulation Station there's a function key that allows you to exit a game and go back to the game selection menu. Its usually something like Select+Start, or whatever you normally set at first set up. Doesn't seem to work here. I've got a manual but its super tiny lol I need a vision visor to look at it. I'll do it later today.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I got the white one. Transparent black one is nice too but it was out of stock and I ain't gonna buy no wood grain poop.

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Idk what one he's gonna get. Are game pre installed or do you have to supply? Told him I'd help either way

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
The one I got came with two (count em) two SD cards. Apparently there's an OS on one, and the ROMs are on the other. This one had stuff ranging from NES to Dreamcast stuff on it. Even PSP, but not many. I think its only a 64 gig card. But its got NGP/NGPC, Gameboy Adv/DS, PS1 and wonderswan stuff. Again its literally Emulation Station so adding ROM's should be super easy like any RetroPie installation, I think.

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
That's what I thought. I'm just surprised they haven't gotten a C&D for distributing r0mz

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I hear ya. It surprised me too. I have a billion SD cards and ROMs coming outta my ears so I didnt care if they weren't included. I expected to have to set it all up, but nope, charged and working 100% out of the box.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Most of the Anbernic devices are set up to exit to menu by quick-pressing the power button.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Hm, mine seems to shut the screen off, and evidently disconnects the controller lol. But the little power LED stays on. Tapping it a 2nd time turns the screen back on and it just chugs along as if nothing happened. Weird. I'll look up some review/breakdowns of it after work and see whats up.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Sorry I couldn't help. My RG350m and 280m only turn off the screen when I'm already in the main menu.

BTW, it might just be an issue with some of Anbernic's screens, but one time I left the screen off on my 350m for an extended period of time, and it looked completely washed out when I turned it back on. It's happened to other people, and the display seems to always recover fully, but I avoid turning off the display at all while the device is powered, just in case. I mentioned the issue in my "open handhelds" thread.

If I didn't already have two JZ4770 handhelds I'd be all over the 351m. The 351v looks great as well. Not top-heavy like some of the vertical devices.

The v doesn't have wifi built in, right? Have you tried going online with it? If so, are you able to update the cores from within Retroarch, like you can on computer and android releases?

I like how you can set this generation of devices up to launch directly into Retroarch, or whatever else, but I'm going to try to sit out Rockchip. Anbernic can't seem to stop putting these things out, and I'll jump back in as soon as they release something that will perform on the same level as the Tegra 4 (Shield Handheld) without burning your hands or requiring active cooling.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Just for comparison:

How would you say performance is on: N64, Dreamcast, PSP? (Don't run on the JZ4770).

Psikyo SH2? (Mixed. On Rogue Firmware, using the port of FBA 2.97.44, Gunbird runs anywhere from 8 to 50 fps, while Gunbird 2 is stuck at *4* right from the calibration circles.)

Cave SH3? (DoDonPachi III drops to ~30)

Third Strike? (~15fps during combat.)

I assume that the stuff that's running well on the 350 is also fine on the 351. (All Neo, CPS1, CPS2, Cave 1st Generation @60fps.)

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
@SML I'll check those out and get back to you as soon as I can.

As for the reddit post linked by @DaisyAge that did it! Although one thing they should have added there was to make sure and save the config file. I know that should prob be 2nd nature, but I forgot out it, and when I tried my new settings it didn't work. Obviously because it didn't keep them. But once I went in there and updated/saved config.. it works like a champ.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
When I said I'd be waiting for the next revision I was full of shit. Got a purple 351p heading this way on the slow boat from China.

Are you using the stock sdhc cards? My 280m seemed like it was broken (pervasive audio crackle) until I replaced both of the cards in the course of switching over from stock to rogue firmware.

The JZ4770 devices seem like they should have more mature software (GCW Zero ports) than the RK3326, which I don't think was used in any handheld before the Odroid Go Advance.

I assume most of the arcade hardware I mentioned won't be an issue, just based on the fact that we're going from a 1Ghz single-core to a 1.3Ghz quad-core chip. I just wonder if we'll ever see the full potential get teased out of the RK3326 since Anbernic alone seems to be sprinting through hardware revisions.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I was thinking about getting this one, since it has the correct aspect ratio (in comparison with the 351P/M), but just a few things turned me off of it. It looks pretty slick though.

Is ArkOS on this yet? I recommend switching to that as soon as it is.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I hadnt heard of ArkOS. I'll have to check it out.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I haven't installed ArkOS yet but I did try 351Elec's firmware. It's not too bad. Thanks for the info. :)

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I haven't installed ArkOS yet but I did try 351Elec's firmware. It's not too bad. Thanks for the info. :)

I think 351elec will be what I stick with on the 351p once it arrives, especially since the ArkOS dev isn't planning further updates for Anbernic's 351 devices. (link).

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I think 351elec will be what I stick with on the 351p once it arrives, especially since the ArkOS dev isn't planning further updates for Anbernic's 351 devices. (link).

lol never mind (announcement link).

To sum up: ArkOS on 351* and 351ELEC are putting out final revisions, the Retro Arena is still developing, slowly, and Android development on the devices is just getting started.

Update: I give up trying to keep up with this. ArkOS development will continue on the 351v.

Last edited: