Analysts expecting flat 360 Japanese debut

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
From Gamespot 12/7/05:

Japanese industry-watchers pessimistic about Microsoft's chances to repeat the sellouts of the US and European launches.

Financial wire service AFX News is reporting that foreign game-industry analysts are feeling mighty bearish about the impending Japanese Xbox 360 launch. It seems the buzz one expects to precede a big console launch just hasn't materialized so far.

"No one--consumers or software makers--has been talking about the Xbox 360 lately, although we only have a couple of days before the release," Tokai Tokyo Research Center analyst Nobuyuki Kawamata told AFX, adding that the machine's cause is not helped by a thin launch lineup (sans the delayed Dead or Alive 4 and Enchant Arm) and technologically unfavorable comparisons to Sony's upcoming PlayStation 3.

Perhaps more interesting is that some analysts had expected big things out of Microsoft's Japanese launch, but are finding themselves disappointed with consumer reaction so far.

"We had previously thought that Xbox 360 could gain a major share of the Japanese market by taking some market share from front-runner Sony Computer," Mitsubishi UFJ Securities analyst Hirotoshi Murakami said. "But we now think that such a prospect may not be realized, given the limited attractiveness of its titles and its lukewarm functions."

Last month the Computer Entertainment Supplier's Association (CESA) released the results of a survey it took during September's Tokyo Game Show 2005, in which 23 percent of participants said they were interested in the Xbox 360, while 20.9 percent expressed an interest in Nintendo's forthcoming Revolution console. Both systems' numbers were topped by the PlayStation 3, which drew the interest of 70 percent of showgoers.

Fortunately the U.S. and European launches were better, cause it looks to bomb out in Japan when it launches! :crying:

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Everyone knew this was going to happen. I wonder if the Revolution will flop as well sometimes.

I really don't want PS world dominance...

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Are these systems region encoded? Because I'll take a Jap system if it isn't!

Rade K

20 Year Member
ki_atsushi said:
Are these systems region encoded? Because I'll take a Jap system if it isn't!

I'd rather take a Jap.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Mark of the Wolves said:
I was shocked to find no more than like 350,000 Xbox's had been sold in Japan. Hilarious.

Why is Microsoft even trying? The Japanese olny buy Japanese products.

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Sony will always be #1 in Japan, as far as home consoles go.

Rade K

20 Year Member
zapatistab said:
Sony will always be #1 in Japan, as far as home consoles go.

If must drive Nintendo nuts that their choise of format prevented them from this title.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I could have told you this, you nitwit.

Shouldn't you be off in another thread bashing Nintendo?

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
You don't really need analysts to tell you that. I'm sure the launch will be decent but the problem is that there will be enough systems to go around so everyone who wants a 360 will buy it on the first day and after that there will be no more people buying it. Unless of course they keep coming out with different colors or bundles in Japan every month their sales will be crap.

Rade K

20 Year Member
Electroman said:
How many Japanese want to buy a Mustang/Camaro/Vette anyway?

I don't approve of this analogy.

The XBOX line is the tractor-trailer of game consoles, not the muscle car.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
More like the oversized pickup truck of consoles.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Rade Kuruc said:
If must drive Nintendo nuts that their choise of format prevented them from this title.

I hope someone at nintendo was shot for that choice.

iamyagami22

Viewpoint Vigilante
This is not news, their market is a lot different than ours, and from what i've seen of the launch titles, theres very little that the japanese audience would enjoy.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
iamyagami22 said:
This is not news, their market is a lot different than ours, and from what i've seen of the launch titles, theres very little that the japanese audience would enjoy.

True that. MS is really aiming hard at the American market.

Chimp posts this like its a surprise to hear that the 360 wont fair so well in Japan.

Either that or he thinks japanese are idiots :chimp:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I know I'm reviving an old argument but I wonder how Microsoft would have faired if from the start they would have advertised the system with another name in Japan and claimed that it had been co-produced with Sega, selling it with the Sega brand/logo?

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
Lagduf said:
True that. MS is really aiming hard at the American market.

Chimp posts this like its a surprise to hear that the 360 wont fair so well in Japan.

Either that or he thinks japanese are idiots :chimp:

It is a surprise after all the effort Microsoft went through to get some exclusive games over there.

Rade K

20 Year Member
Lagduf said:
I hope someone at nintendo was shot for that choice.

They wouldn't shoot Miyamoto. He was a big part of that choice, from what I understand...

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Rade Kuruc said:
They wouldn't shoot Miyamoto. He was a big part of that choice, from what I understand...

:(

Oh well.

I still had good times with the N64.

iamyagami22

Viewpoint Vigilante
Lets Gekiga In said:
That's because Apple makes really good products.

Wrong. It's because they know how to market them, the products are dipicted as sleek and stylish so people have no choice but to take steve jobs' cock and suck it till its dry.