Analogue Duo: FPGA Turbo Duo

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I know the Analogue Pocket and the NT Mini revision were a bit of a shit show for pre-orders (I got one....), but for the Super NT and the Mega SG they had plenty of units available at launch outside of pre-orders. That said, I'm stoked for this. Like others have said, the PCE is hard to get looking great on modern displays and even CRTs due to no S-video support. I'm looking forward to a simple PCE solution. Hopefully this launch will be more like the Super NT and Mega SG.

Yeah except the PCE hardware family has extremely good composite video, it's not a complete loss like if the Genesis had no S-video.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
That's cool. I'm glad the PC engine/Turbo Duo is getting some love. I won't be buying this since I have a very easy way to get my current system on an LCD.

PC Engine CoreGrafx + SSDS3 + HD retrovision cables + Retrotink2x pro looks great on my LCD. If you currently have an SSDS3 and either the scart or the component cables I would just buy a retrotink (pro or scart version). It's plug and play. A lot easier than fiddling around with the OSSC.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
This seems to be the fairest priced system they have produced yet.

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Yeah except the PCE hardware family has extremely good composite video, it's not a complete loss like if the Genesis had no S-video.

Oof, Genesis composite. The stuff of nightmares.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member

Shockingly good composite compared to other systems of the time.

That's cool. I'm glad the PC engine/Turbo Duo is getting some love. I won't be buying this since I have a very easy way to get my current system on an LCD.

PC Engine CoreGrafx + SSDS3 + HD retrovision cables + Retrotink2x pro looks great on my LCD. If you currently have an SSDS3 and either the scart or the component cables I would just buy a retrotink (pro or scart version). It's plug and play. A lot easier than fiddling around with the OSSC.

I have a Core2+SSDS3+Rad2x and it was good enough that I sold my Framemeister. It's not perfect, but dammit...good enough for me.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
What's the deal with S-vid mods on PCE hardware? Chode was saying that the color isn't correct or something like that. I pre-ordered an HD Retrovision adapter for PCE in case I ever get my console modded, so I'm curious about the process / results.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I haven't heard that about svideo, but with the rgb mod the colors you get aren't 100% accurate with how it looks in composite. But really, you'd have to have a special kind of autism to care.

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I haven't heard that about svideo, but with the rgb mod the colors you get aren't 100% accurate with how it looks in composite. But really, you'd have to have a special kind of autism to care.

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using Tapatalk

There's one particular game that literally goes from SNES to NES tier in terms of graphics due to the reliance of certain color shades that are basically the same on RGB for some reason, it's some rpg I forget the name of, but yes it's mostly irrelevant.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Ah right - I meant RGB, not S-vid. OK, good to know the difference is negligible.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I find that brown yellow are kind of off when using RGB/component on the PC engine. It sort of bothers me but not enough to get me to go to extremes to correct it.

I think people are obsessed with the best video output possible sometimes but I feel a device like the retrotink or rad2x are fine for 85% of the people out there.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
You know and I know it will be.

Hell I am even reading comments on gaming news websites complaining about this and their hype/limited availability marketing scheme. Things we have been complaining about for years.
Agreed happen all ready for all those preorders on the analogue pocket that were flipped on ebay.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
All of Analogue's FPGA offerings have been easy to get with the exception of the pocket which had limited pre-orders likely due to manufacturing limitations from COVID.

The duo which will also have limited pre-order will undoubtedly be easier to get since Nintendo children don't even know what a PC Engine is.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I imagine it will be just like the SG. At launch it went out of stock pretty quickly but shortly afterwards the are plenty. The snes is out of stock right now but that's likely covid related, as it's in stock more often than not.

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using Tapatalk

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
All of Analogue's FPGA offerings have been easy to get with the exception of the pocket which had limited pre-orders likely due to manufacturing limitations from COVID.

The duo which will also have limited pre-order will undoubtedly be easier to get since Nintendo children don't even know what a PC Engine is.
Well see given how much the TG16/PCE was a niche in north america but the console has become very collectable in recent years so dunno.Beside how much prices have spiked for originals duo models be it u.s,jpn.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Totally agree. But they don't seem to really care. I get the impression they're much more about cool design and innovation than actually providing products to people. If they could team up with a strong manufacturer and actually meet demand, it'd be amazing for retro gaming.

Until the pocket situation happened, everything else was open preorder when didn’t sell out. Wtf you talking about?

I’ve managed to get the Snes and Genesis no problem.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Until the pocket situation happened, everything else was open preorder when didn’t sell out. Wtf you talking about?

I’ve managed to get the Snes and Genesis no problem.

Not for nothing making the announcement about the turbo duo and then saying limited quantities right away is a load of horseshit. Let's just call it like it is. I can already imagine the nightmare of waiting to log in at an exact time to put your order through only for it to sell out before you could get your order in.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Not for nothing making the announcement about the turbo duo and then saying limited quantities right away is a load of horseshit. Let's just call it like it is. I can already imagine the nightmare of waiting to log in at an exact time to put your order through only for it to sell out before you could get your order in.

Yeah. I really fucking want this thing. That is my prediction as well.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member

It's kinda ok if you know that the guy behind the product is building them out of his garage and has very limited assembly manpower, and if he guaranteed that everyone that got into a preorder list for instance got one. Some company pushing their design through a chinese assembly line and doing artificial scarcity tactics time and time again is in another ballpark entirely. Yeah I'm not waking up at 3am on a monday to buy your stupid console and still risk not getting one, fuck off. This is an insult akin to Kutaragi saying that people that wanted the PS3 at launch would WORK for it to offset the $599 price tag. Remember that?

If I end up buying one of those Duos its gonna be through a normal order process. No bullshit.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Mad lols at that PS3 comparison, totally forgot they told everyone to work more hours or jobs for that steaming turd of a console. Thanks for the reminder

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
It's a PCE/duo style control port for sure

2tiHdnKl.png

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Was looking at ANALogue's dumbass site this morning while sipping coffee. I find it hilarious that by the time this dumbass unobtanium system comes out, those PCE wireless controllers 8BitDo made for a hot minute on the heels of the PCE mini will be all gone.

Go play Mars Matrix buy a Mister

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I remember being excited about this a couple years back. Forgot about it to be honest, can't believe it still hasn't come out. I really don't have much of a desire for it anymore to be honest. But that said, I got a Mega SG and Super NT years ago, and I like them a lot. They're definitely quality consoles. We'll see. Once it comes out, if I'm actually able to order one from their website, I'll probably get one. But we all know how that shit goes with analogue nowadays. Highly unlikely.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I remember being excited about this a couple years back. Forgot about it to be honest, can't believe it still hasn't come out. I really don't have much of a desire for it anymore to be honest. But that said, I got a Mega SG and Super NT years ago, and I like them a lot. They're definitely quality consoles. We'll see. Once it comes out, if I'm actually able to order one from their website, I'll probably get one. But we all know how that shit goes with analogue nowadays. Highly unlikely.

Yeah they teased it way too early - plus they have all kinds of production issues since covid, blah blah blah. They are unable to not have this be released "in limited numbers" when they finally do, because it's in their DNA. I almost bought the other consoles, but every time I got to shipping I got annoyed - then they did "final preorders" but production was a YEAR out...just dumb and gay.