Analogue Duo: FPGA Turbo Duo

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1317118116678094860

PvOtfCj.jpg

Coming in 2021, $199
https://www.analogue.co/duo/

I personally would have preferred a PC Engine.

Oh, it has built in bluetooth, and the Pocket is gaining Hucard support.

Last edited:

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Cool, and great price considering how much an actual Turbo Duo costs right now. They seem to be over extending themselves with the product offerings right now though. Seems like there’s demand for Super NTs which are all sold out, the Analogue pocket preorder situation hasn’t been great (and that doesn’t even ship for 6+ months), and they already had to delay NT mini shipping from July to November. I wish they’d demonstrate availability/capacity for their existing product lines before launching tons of new stuff.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Their designs are usually really nice. This is fug, though.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Haven't had interest in their other products, but I'm probably going to get this one. Will be nice not having to use the OSSC and fiddle through all its settings

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
Cool, and great price considering how much an actual Turbo Duo costs right now. They seem to be over extending themselves with the product offerings right now though.

Totally agree. But they don't seem to really care. I get the impression they're much more about cool design and innovation than actually providing products to people. If they could team up with a strong manufacturer and actually meet demand, it'd be amazing for retro gaming.

fake

15 Year Member
Totally agree. But they don't seem to really care. I get the impression they're much more about cool design and innovation than actually providing products to people. If they could team up with a strong manufacturer and actually meet demand, it'd be amazing for retro gaming.

That's probably the end goal. They're probably trying to prove they can consistently ship new products.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I gotta admit that the price point is just right for a sleek FPGA thingy! Somewhat tempted.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
When this is titled as "Duo", I'd like to assume that means the wired controller port is TurboDuo style (smaller connection same as Japan units) and not the larger Turbografx-16 style. I'm a bit surprised they don't explicitly state which one, as it makes a difference for some controller types such as the 6-button controllers.

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
The controller port looks to be the Duo one

yYDHPYj.png

But the specs say "Original-style TurboGrafx-16 controller port"

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Analogue was unaware there is a difference.

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Very interested in this product by analogue,since i never got my duo-r to be modded for rbg.Still while i see this console being very niche.I hope this doesn't get bought up by scalpers for flipping :shame:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
That's probably the end goal. They're probably trying to prove they can consistently ship new products.

Yeah, seems like they're extending their portfolio to hook a big deal and live happily ever after. The price on this Duo is really low, considering you get both HuCards and CD-Rom[SUP][SUP][SUB]2[/SUB][/SUP][/SUP] media support. It's their first CD drive, too, which opens up the door for possible future FPGA remakes of past consoles with disc drives.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I hope this doesn't get bought up by scalpers for flipping :shame:

You know and I know it will be.

Hell I am even reading comments on gaming news websites complaining about this and their hype/limited availability marketing scheme. Things we have been complaining about for years.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Are there still good quality CD-Rom drives being produced?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I will happily buy one of these. I'd even add a Pocket and adapters to my cart. IF THEY LET ME. I'd drop an obscene amount of money in a heartbeat. Again, if they fucking let me. They have too much of a boner for the whole false scarcity model, so I'm not holding my breath.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Are there still good quality CD-Rom drives being produced?

Any cheapo PC CDVD combo from 2010+ absolutely stomps the early cdrom console drives. If console laser pickups were as universal as plugging a PC cd drive into a SATA cable then we'd hear complaints about consoles that can't read discs with no reliable parts replacement only in 2099. Throw in any shitty gas station coaster burned in 52x and it will usually play it flawlessly.

This is REALLY hard to fuck up, but you know how it is with overpriced and or underproduced items in this hobby

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I will happily buy one of these. I'd even add a Pocket and adapters to my cart. IF THEY LET ME. I'd drop an obscene amount of money in a heartbeat. Again, if they fucking let me. They have too much of a boner for the whole false scarcity model, so I'm not holding my breath.

The false scarcity business model is annoying but it works. Analogue is just following in Nintendo's footsteps.

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
This is really cool. Im a fan of Analogue since I got the Mega SG last year. It really does feel like if Sega themselves were to make a legit new model of Genesis (and actually give a shit about it) in this day and age.

Given how fucked trying to get an old turbo CD setup with good quality video output these days is, Im pretty sure this will do well. I was going to attempt an RGB mod on my American IFU but I may just put it away now and grab this instead.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
The false scarcity business model is annoying but it works. Analogue is just following in Nintendo's footsteps.

On a scale such as Nintendo's, being publicly traded etc, I agree. For Analogue....ehhh, unless they are trying to sell off the company they'd do better if they sold more product. Period.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Fucking hate this company but would argue this is the best looking unit yet. Let's be honest though, by the time you stick an Everdrive and a burned CDR in it you might as well just PC/Mister/Pi it and call it a fucking day. Who is paying the going rate for 30 year old CD games and hu

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
Fucking hate this company but would argue this is the best looking unit yet. Let's be honest though, by the time you stick an Everdrive and a burned CDR in it you might as well just PC/Mister/Pi it and call it a fucking day. Who is paying the going rate for 30 year old CD games and hu

That's why I was hoping they'd just do a PC Engine. An Analogue PCE combined with SSDS3 would be a perfect setup.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Hopefully I can score one of these. It's great getting all these new FPGA consoles. Im almost to the point where I can ditch all my old cart systems, my PVM, and not have to worry about shit video quality, and expensive confusing scalers and lag. These systems have really got me back into gaming. Im really tired of consoles breaking, modding, and other maintenance.

fake

15 Year Member
That's why I was hoping they'd just do a PC Engine. An Analogue PCE combined with SSDS3 would be a perfect setup.

They also could have done a followup CD module and created their own take on the briefcase.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
I know the Analogue Pocket and the NT Mini revision were a bit of a shit show for pre-orders (I got one....), but for the Super NT and the Mega SG they had plenty of units available at launch outside of pre-orders. That said, I'm stoked for this. Like others have said, the PCE is hard to get looking great on modern displays and even CRTs due to no S-video support. I'm looking forward to a simple PCE solution. Hopefully this launch will be more like the Super NT and Mega SG.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I know the Analogue Pocket and the NT Mini revision were a bit of a shit show for pre-orders (I got one....), but for the Super NT and the Mega SG they had plenty of units available at launch outside of pre-orders. That said, I'm stoked for this. Like others have said, the PCE is hard to get looking great on modern displays and even CRTs due to no S-video support. I'm looking forward to a simple PCE solution. Hopefully this launch will be more like the Super NT and Mega SG.

It's not a Nintendo Fanboy console. So I think it will be easy to get one.

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
It's not a Nintendo Fanboy console. So I think it will be easy to get one.

With all the drama surrounding Analogue these days, wouldn't be surprised at all if a ton of people buy these up for scalping.