American remakes of foreign films that are as good or better?

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I have Open Your Eyes on my shelf and I havent watched it yet. Vanilla Sky fucking sucks, but something tells me that a Spanish version of it without Tom Cruise has got to be even worse. I also do not think Penelope Cruz is cute or hot and she's in both films.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
hey bud get some lunch. it's another beautiful day.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
foreign films?
or
foreign language films?

Anyways, I still haven't seen Infernal Affairs or La Jetée so I can't say if the American/English versions are better.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I honestly can’t think of any. There has to be one or two though, I suppose. It’s possible.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Magnificent 7?
I wouldn't necessarily say it's better than Seven Samurai but it's the best possible adaptation they could make and a great movie in its own right. It helps that Kurosawa himself wrote the first draft of the adaptation.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I wouldn't necessarily say it's better than Seven Samurai but it's the best possible adaptation they could make and a great movie in its own right. It helps that Kurosawa himself wrote the first draft of the adaptation.

Yeah adaptation is more accurate. It was the only one I could think of as I’m only aware of a few foreign films that were remade by Americans for the English speaking world. And they mostly sucked.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
'Magnificent Seven' is a good call. Not as good as 'Seven Samurai,' but still a great movie. I believe they remade the remake a few years ago, but I never saw that one.

Scorsese adapted 'The Departed' from the Hong Kong movie 'Internal Affairs.' And not to say that it's some brilliant movie or anything, but I liked 'The Departed' much better personally.

A slight stretch because it was an Italian production, but Leone made 'A Fistful of Dollars' with an English speaking audience and American distribution in mind. I think 'Yojimbo' is superior, but as far as remakes go, it's pretty dang good, and Eastwood is awesome in it. The threemake 'Last Man Standing' with Bruce Willis left a lot to be desired though.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
The only thing that comes to mind is how REC is so much better than Quarantine

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
True Lies is a remake of the French film La Totale. I haven't seen La Totale but True Lies is probably better.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Does Godzilla vs Kong count?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The Departed was done well I thought. Pity it didn't get the sequels like the HK trilogy did.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Was Spike Lee's Oldboy any good?

Oh lord, I forgot that ever happened. What a terrible terrible idea for a movie to remake. It had be be driven by the idea that there is a lot of $ to be made by showing movies to Americans who won’t read subtitles. Artistically he has no business touching it.

Same thing happened with Vanilla Sky. You know when you’re remaking a 3 year old movie you’re a hack, right?

The single least essential one that comes to mind at the moment is City of Angels which was a remake of the eternal classic Wings of Desire. There isn’t a 12 year old goth on the planet who would prefer the remake, so who the fuck is it for? It’s not in Berlin, it doesn’t have Nick Cave, it’s SHIT.

Last edited: