Alpha/zero 3 on the Dreamcast?

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Hey guys, i know alpha 3 on the dreamcast was a faulty port.But did they improve on it on the matching service re-release?.And if so,how much did it improve?.

I personaly can't tell the difference from the arcade to the dreamcast version.but if the game is faulty,i would like to play it right.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Posted in the wrong section man.

As far as I know, the first DC port is of the CPS2 version, and the other is of the Naomi. I believe the Naomi one is the better port, which is the one for matching service. Don't quote me on this.

I get my Alpha 3 fix from the Saturn port.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Moved the thread to the right place.

And no matter how imperfect Alpha 3 on DC may be, I still love it a lot, and be it just for World Tour mode. Super-high replay value, even in 1P (yeah I know, versus fighting and all that).

WeinerDogSunglasses

Ghost of Captain Kidd
15 Year Member
Is there a difference between A3 (CPS2) and A3 Upper (Naomi) aside from a few extra characters?

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Likewise.

I also love the Saturn controller. Only d-pad ever made that I can use for a 2D fighter and feel fine using it.

yea, triggers never did any thing for me on the DC.
also, I never really liked the japanese cover for the DC SFA3

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Likewise.

I also love the Saturn controller. Only d-pad ever made that I can use for a 2D fighter and feel fine using it.

PSX Controller man! You should try it. Buy one, and literally put sandpaper to the d-pad, and it's so awesome!

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
I guess the PSX were ok, the dreamcast d-pad was terrible. Only the Gamecube figured out a way to make one worse.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I'm not sure about the differences, I've heard a lot of complaints about the Alpha/Zero ports. But I know because I just reviewed my American copy of Alpha 3 is that it has the added characters from Upper and some of the extra features that I rarely ever played. I think the problems were rolling through projectile attacks, or something like that, but I don't play on a tournament level to notice any of that stuff, so I just stick to the 1 player and enjoy it.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
zero 3 upper is a different game , not just "extra characters"

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Yeah the DC d-pad is horrible.

But the PSX one is very good, hell, I use it on the MVS sometimes.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
I'm not sure about the differences, I've heard a lot of complaints about the Alpha/Zero ports. But I know because I just reviewed my American copy of Alpha 3 is that it has the added characters from Upper and some of the extra features that I rarely ever played. I think the problems were rolling through projectile attacks, or something like that, but I don't play on a tournament level to notice any of that stuff, so I just stick to the 1 player and enjoy it.

so was the problam only in the tournament mode?.i heard something about crappy hit and colision detection.notice any thing like that?.and are you talking about the matching servises or the first release?.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I am not pro at alpha3 but generally there are alot of balance changes which are apparently pretty illogical, along with the timing for V-ism changing so its no longer awesome, and V-ism activation start up no longer has invincibility.

If you don't already know the changes, chances are you would not notice them. If you played a3 in the arcade alot and want that same game at home, you don't want the dreamcast version.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
I am not pro at alpha3 but generally there are alot of balance changes which are apparently pretty illogical, along with the timing for V-ism changing so its no longer awesome, and V-ism activation start up no longer has invincibility.

If you don't already know the changes, chances are you would not notice them. If you played a3 in the arcade alot and want that same game at home, you don't want the dreamcast version.

but what i whant to know is,is the matching services re-release wich was released in japan only identicle to the arcade,or does it have the same problems as the first release on the dreamcast.

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
The controller thing is not a good argument, you can get Saturn > DC adapters fairly cheap

I'd just play it in mame or saturn though. Whether the upper version is different, I dunno

TerryMasters

Galford's Armourer
Somebody really needs to log the changes between Alpha 3 and Alpha 3 Upper once and for all.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
do you know the changes between the games?.or is there changes?.

http://shoryuken.com/f233/changes-additions-sfa3u-122149/

- 6 new characters: T. Hawk, Fei-Long, Dee Jay, Guile, Evil Ryu, Shin Akuma
- 9 new backgrounds: T. Hawk’s, Fei-Long’s, Dee Jay’s, Guile’s, Evil Ryu’s (palette swap of Akuma’s), Shin Akuma’s (palette swap of Akuma’s), Balrog’s, Karin’s (in SFA3 her background was a palette swap of Sakura’s), Battle
- the intro now has T. Hawk, Fei-Long, Dee Jay, Guile, Evil Ryu, Juni, Juli and Balrog
- Juli, Juni and Balrog are now fully developed characters, they now have their own beginning story line, win quotes, character specific conversations, and endings. They now have their own spot on the character select screen so they no longer require a code to select them.
- all characters now have personal data info (height, weight, blood type)
- new pre-fight animations: Evil Ryu/Shin Akuma, Ryu/Evil Ryu, Charlie/Guile, Sakura/Dee Jay
- title screen has an upper “swoosh” with a grayish/blue background instead of white
- you no longer require need a code to select Mazi, Saikyo, and Classic modes
- when playing as Juli and Juni as a team in Dramatic Battle mode you can now perform their team only moves: 1) Juli’s Psycho Charge Beta, 2) Juli’s Psycho Charge Alpha,
3) Psycho Rolling (team super combo), 4) Death Cross Dancing (team super combo)
- crouch canceling is removed
- A-ism builds meter faster
- whiffed throws no longer build meter
- game speed slightly different?
- v-ism's invulnerability frames on activation were shortened, so that means variable combos lose a lot of their power, e.g. the ability to blow through whatever your opponent is doing and start a vc, or to drop through an anti air with a vc, etc. that's not to say it still wasn't possible but the usage was much more situational, whereas in normal A3 it is more universal. also the removal of crouch canceling hurts v-ism the most of all the isms, particularly characters with crouch canceling infinites, which are generally easier to set up during a variable combo.
- you can mash out of Rose's Level 2/3 Aura Soul Throw supers by mashing the kick buttons
- Dhalsim is about 30% slower now
- Balrog’s punches have changed (now look different than they used to, but also have different priority/range, to his detriment), and V-Balrog gets to do the headbutt move at will, instead of just as a reversal move

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I always felt that the gravity of the games are different. The upper is no longer on cps2 parameters so pixel wise the sages are different more spacious and the jumps feel different as well. I also love the Saturn port cause it feels as if it still plays on a cps2 environment but with all the add ons and changes that occurred on the Naomi/dc.

The Saturn port has an awesome survival teammatch that plays butter smooth. On the dc port this was somewhat present during the saikondojo matches but the Saturn is more fun for me. I however love both ports equAlly and keep wishing the cps2 had deejay in it.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
[url- 6 new characters: T. Hawk, Fei-Long, Dee Jay, Guile, Evil Ryu, Shin Akuma
- 9 new backgrounds: T. Hawk’s, Fei-Long’s, Dee Jay’s, Guile’s, Evil Ryu’s (palette swap of Akuma’s), Shin Akuma’s (palette swap of Akuma’s), Balrog’s, Karin’s (in SFA3 her background was a palette swap of Sakura’s), Battle
- the intro now has T. Hawk, Fei-Long, Dee Jay, Guile, Evil Ryu, Juni, Juli and Balrog
- Juli, Juni and Balrog are now fully developed characters, they now have their own beginning story line, win quotes, character specific conversations, and endings. They now have their own spot on the character select screen so they no longer require a code to select them.
- all characters now have personal data info (height, weight, blood type)
- new pre-fight animations: Evil Ryu/Shin Akuma, Ryu/Evil Ryu, Charlie/Guile, Sakura/Dee Jay
- title screen has an upper “swoosh” with a grayish/blue background instead of white
- you no longer require need a code to select Mazi, Saikyo, and Classic modes
- when playing as Juli and Juni as a team in Dramatic Battle mode you can now perform their team only moves: 1) Juli’s Psycho Charge Beta, 2) Juli’s Psycho Charge Alpha,
3) Psycho Rolling (team super combo), 4) Death Cross Dancing (team super combo)
- crouch canceling is removed
- A-ism builds meter faster
- whiffed throws no longer build meter
- game speed slightly different?
- v-ism's invulnerability frames on activation were shortened, so that means variable combos lose a lot of their power, e.g. the ability to blow through whatever your opponent is doing and start a vc, or to drop through an anti air with a vc, etc. that's not to say it still wasn't possible but the usage was much more situational, whereas in normal A3 it is more universal. also the removal of crouch canceling hurts v-ism the most of all the isms, particularly characters with crouch canceling infinites, which are generally easier to set up during a variable combo.
- you can mash out of Rose's Level 2/3 Aura Soul Throw supers by mashing the kick buttons
- Dhalsim is about 30% slower now
- Balrog’s punches have changed (now look different than they used to, but also have different priority/range, to his detriment), and V-Balrog gets to do the headbutt move at will, instead of just as a reversal move ]-122149/[/url]

so does this mean that sfa3u is closer to the arcade version?.why can't some one give me a straight answer?.no offence to all who posted.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
There are 2 arcade versions of the game the naomi and the cps2 if your looking for the Naomi port then the dc should do just fine. If your looking for the cps2 then the Saturn port will do but it dies have more characters and it has a little bit of the balance changes made on the naomi ver.

Given your question I gather you're very new to all of this so keep in mind that the Naomi ver is the upper and the cps2 is the barebones original ver.

In all honesty you can't go wrong with any of the ports even the pax port wasn't bad at all.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
so does this mean that sfa3u is closer to the arcade version?.why can't some one give me a straight answer?.no offence to all who posted.

They're both the "arcade version."

CPS-2 = Street Fighter Alpha 3 (arcade)
Naomi = Street Fighter Alpha/Zero 3 Upper (arcade)

The Naomi version (Upper) is a revision on the CPS2 version (SFA3) with the changes listed in that thread.

The original PSX, Dreamcast and Saturn ports of SFA3 for CPS2 (ie. not Upper) are all pretty much the same game - each changing things the other did and adding certain modes or having things like Guile unlocked from the get go.

Upper came out in arcades on Naomi 2001 (after all of the PSX, DC and Saturn ports mentioned already) and incorporated changed made in those home ports. So the Dreamcast ports (both of them are the same outside of the online matching) is an earlier version and not the same game as SFZ3 Upper.

If you want to play Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper on consoles, you need to get Street Fighter Alpha Anthology on PS2 (which will have the regular version of SFA3 on top of having a slightly altered version of Upper) or the PSP version of Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX.

Still not quite sure what youre asking here, but there you go.