Aleste Collection (PS4, Switch)

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
For what it's worth, Revo, who posted it is well-known and very legit. Interesting proprosal about the video views. Perhaps he's getting desperate to grow his Youtube channel.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
Claims to have a working GG Aleste 3 rom. Won't share until the video reaches 1,000 views:

I actually found the GG Aleste 3 ROM at a no intro listing at archive.org. The patch to break the protection is found here (https://www.smspower.org/forums/19697-GGAleste3). I patched the ROM with the patch to play it on my Wii and it's legit! I can finally play GG Aleste 3 :D
We don't negotiate with terrorists.
Goddamn! That fucking Tropic Thunder quote XD

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
https://www.deepl.com/

これでボクらがそれをやる未来は絶たれたってことか。
今は無理でも、いつか機会があったら自分たちでやりたかったんだけどな。

I guess this means the future of us doing it is dead. Even if we can't do it now, we would have liked to do it ourselves if we had the chance someday.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Another victim of ROMZZZ...

...or a cheap excuse, who knows.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
What a whiny little bitch. If they made a physical copy us goobers would scoop it up like hotcakes.

Kid Fenris

Quiz Detective
10 Year Member
I always thought it was weird that GG Aleste 3 didn't get some Limited Run Games cartridge or whatever. I guess they didn't want to cut into sales of the Aleste Collection, but that's been out for over two years now and it didn't even have an international release.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I don't think they were seriously planning a Game Gear release. It's just what you say now that the game is out in the wild.

I'm not saying it's justified, but this is what happens if you sit on something like this for too long.

Last edited:

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
I think they wanted to but were too busy with other projects to prioritize. It’s great that it will be able to be played by a wider audience and on original hardware now.

I hope that M2 makes some more original games like this one. A MUSHA sequel for MegaDrive would be awesome.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Eh I don’t think it will / would have see a wider audience with a rom / cart. It’s not like people who fell out of gaming are suddenly like oh let me dig out my game boy and buy a flash cart.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
I think they wanted to but were too busy with other projects to prioritize. It’s great that it will be able to be played by a wider audience and on original hardware now.

I hope that M2 makes some more original games like this one. A MUSHA sequel for MegaDrive would be awesome.
Well, they could revive the cancelled Dennin Aleste for Mega CD ;)

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Eh I don’t think it will / would have see a wider audience with a rom / cart. It’s not like people who fell out of gaming are suddenly like oh let me dig out my game boy and buy a flash cart.
Okay, but for goobs like me, you created a game for specific hardware without the option to actually play it on that hardware.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
This is great news but I think you guys should buy the collection anyway. One of the better Shmup releases in the past few years and I hope M2 makes more games like this.
Seconded, this has been my favorite Switch purchase in quite some time. Best to support the dev so they keep making new stuff.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
I don't think they were seriously planning a Game Gear release. It's just what you say now that the game is out in the wild.

Plus, even if they had followed through with a cart release, the ROM would have been dumped on release date and be circulated just as this one, if not moreso.

With the current retro game climate, I don't think having a commercial release being undumped really makes that big of a difference sales-wise. Virtually every single release, be it retro or modern, from these boutique labels are already available digitally yet they still sell out. People goobed up a $30 barebones Osman release like their lives depended on it, I'm sure a proper GG Aleste 3 would do the same.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Plus, even if they had followed through with a cart release, the ROM would have been dumped on release date and be circulated just as this one, if not moreso.
Releases for retro consoles are generally pre-sold knowing they will be dumped the moment the game hits the streets, unless the cartridge has any copy protection. That's why they have to sell as many as possible prior to release. Now it's too late for GG Aleste 3, although I'm sure there are still collectors willing to pay for an official cart release.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
Releases for retro consoles are generally pre-sold knowing they will be dumped the moment the game hits the streets, unless the cartridge has any copy protection. That's why they have to sell as many as possible prior to release. Now it's too late for GG Aleste 3, although I'm sure there are still collectors willing to pay for an official cart release.
This reminded me the new Xeno Crisis versión for SNES. Bitmap Bureau said that because of piracy of the Mega Drive and Neo Geo versions, they would not release the ROM of any version moving foward. The SNES version includes a helper chip for audio i believe so, i'll take a while to see that version emulated.

Knowing how the emulation scene is, they will dump the Game regardless and crack the protection they're going to implement. Which leads me to believe that a potential Jaguar version might have protection to avoid getting the game running even on BigPEmu (i do know that one guy on the Jaguar scene had implemented copy protection in some of their releases, but that is also because of an asshat who is universally hated by pretty much everybody in the retro gaming community pirating their free releases)

Sorry for the wall of text everybody XD

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
The only reason the SNES version needs a helper chip is that it has recorded, music, like the Neo Geo version. It would have been interesting to hear the soundtrack actually reprogrammed for the SNES sound chip.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
The only reason the SNES version needs a helper chip is that it has recorded, music, like the Neo Geo version. It would have been interesting to hear the soundtrack actually reprogrammed for the SNES sound chip.
It is cool that we are seeing a SNES game using what is esentially an audio expansion chip, but would have been indeed interesting hearing SNES renditions of the song on the SPC700. The SNES can do FM, but apparently it pretty much takes all the 64k memory space on the sound chip.