Alan Wake? more like Stephen King: The Game, amirite? [Merged]

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
Saw that it was coming out this week. Been wondering if it will do well going up against Red Dead Redemption.

I've been interested in it for a while, but after watching the live-action prequel shorts on XBL, I'm not to sure I understand what's supposed to be going on. Seems like they didn't have much to do with the main game. Maybe I missed something?

bemanicho1

Ninja Combat Warrior
I'm definitely interested in the game, but I don't think I can afford it now. I'll just read the reviews and impressions and wait for the price drop or a used copy.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I'm going with RDD. Two games I want release on the same day, I'm going with the one that will have more content for my $60. Plus, $20 credit from Amazon really clenches the deal for me.

Alan Wake has been getting solid 8's and all the complaints seem trivial to me. I'm still very interested in playing through it. It sounds like it's ~12 hours+ of gameplay, but has zero replay value. Even if it doesn't see a price drop soon, the used market value on it is going to go down pretty quick as people finish it then unload it. I'm going to get a used copy in the near future.

It was sort of dumb to release these two games on the same day IMO.

fmdof

Morden's Lackey
I'm interested for sure. Just gotta get through a few other games first. but i think next weeks Mario Galaxy 2 will win no matter what.

Heath

, cheyne stoking
I was really looking forward to this game when i first heard the concept about 3 years ago, i read on wiki about 4 months ago that they decided to change the whole idea of the game. they changed it from a sand box game to what looks like a resident evil 4 - 5 kind of game so im not even going to try it.The original idea sounded awesome.It just looks like every other horror game now and could have been released ages ago.

PS.Also cant see the point of having a day/night cycle in a game that isnt sand box. if its just chapters then it would either be night or day.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
At first I was super excited about Alan Wake since I loved Max Payne. But then E3 '09 happened and they gave him a killer flashlight. Fuck that. I wanted something more like a thriller than a horror game, which was what they originally promised.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I see gamestop doesn't ship it to non-US addresses. Weird.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
I think you guys are missing out by not playing AW. It's a hell of a game...and they're aren't many gaming experiences like it. Unless you're a troll who hates good games, you'll find something to like.

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
I keep going back and forth wanting to get this or Red Dead Redemption.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
I have too much on my plate these days, but I think I might start up a gamefly account (or the Canadian equivalent, anyway) and start trying to get stuff like this. I hear they have good options if you opt to buy it from them used or what have you, so it seems like a good time.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
well gta is garbage so i have no interest in rdd.

alan wake looks great but i may end up getting deadly premonition instead, and wait on a price drop.

the atmosphere in alan wake is ridiculous.

BigTinz

gta is garbage?

I hate hearing that...why do you think it's garbage?

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
for a game with the size and scope and assuming production values, the least they could do is make it play decent.

the controls and overall feel of the game is so bad its not worth getting past to play the game.

4+ iterations of the same formula and it still plays as bad as it did on ps2, which even then it wasnt up to par.

BigTinz

I would if I could, but funds are limited and my wife has me on a strict "one game a month" budget. *insert whip crack*

If you can only get one...Buy RDR and rent Alan Wake. Don't even open RDR yet because you'll get sucked in and it's MUCH longer than Wake....also I don't really see Wake having lots of replay value right now....it's only got one ending and is linear; while you do receive free a free dlc episode w/ purchase I can't say it's worth it if you have to choose between the two. It's a great game(GOTY candidate for sure) but compared to RDR(if you like sandbox games) it's not as necessary to own.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
LOL, I thought it was a new TV show when I saw the promos.

Cornerb0y

Krauser's Henchman
I was the only person to preorder the collectors edition at my game stop. I really think this game is going to have the same thing that happened when Bioshock released. Slow at first, but everyone is going to want to get it eventually.

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
This game came out last week in the UK and i'm up to episode 5 out of 6 after around 10 hours, so it's not short by any means. It is absolutely incredible. The graphics are nothing short of stunning, the weather effects will make your jaw drop. Dripping with atmosphere, great action, and the soundtrack is utterly amazing - the orchestral score is something else, and there are about 10 licensed tracks, Roy Orbison "in Dreams" FTW. Fans of Twin Peaks/Stephen King especially will love it. Far and away the best horror game of this generation, parts have had my heart beating out of my chest. Playing at night in the dark is the only way to play. Also the Limited Edition is a thing of beauty. No plastic crap , a 133 page hardcover book, soundtrack cd, bonus disc- which comes with 2 premium themes, every trailer since 2005, avatar clothes and gamepics, and best of all an in-game commentary you install to the hard disc- then when you turn it on in game it runs picture-in-picture at pivitol moments. It's all wrapped in a magentic nylon box which looks like a novel. Great stuff

Last edited:

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
RDR.

Finished Alan Wake last week. The hype was huge, so I was a bit disappointed.
Cons
-very linear
-combat is very basic and repetitive. All enemies attack the same mostly and do not prompt different combat tactics.
-replay value? Not much, unless you consider all the collectibles (what is this 1996?).

Pros
-graphics and atmosphere. Some screen tearing, but it is minor.
-sound. Great score and voice acting.
-Maybe the story? Nothing new.

Resident Evil/Silent Hill it ain't.

Save your cash for Red Dead Redemption. It is the lesser of the two. GTA4's controls were sloppy and it did nothing to improve over GTA3. Rockstar, prove me wrong.

Last edited:

stormy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
10 Year Member
It was ok. I liked some of the night springs episodes.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
I was interested in Alan Wake a couple of years ago, but when they snubbed the PC version I said fuck it. I forget their bullshit excuse as to why they weren't going to continue working on releasing it on PC, but everyone knows that Microsoft wants to keep it on Xbox.

I have a fairly decent PC, and a 360, but when it comes to games like Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age, I would much rather play them on PC. Alan Wake was the same.

evil son

Bead Banger
Got me the special edition of this game very excited for it I just copped it at the midnight release with red dead.nice lil package won't open it till tomorow night though as red dead got my attention now.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I was interested in Alan Wake a couple of years ago, but when they snubbed the PC version I said fuck it. I forget their bullshit excuse as to why they weren't going to continue working on releasing it on PC, but everyone knows that Microsoft wants to keep it on Xbox.

I don't know if that's the case. I think games are seeing less PC releases for other reasons... likely just a projected profitability issue. I think the majority of people just play on consoles now and PC gaming as a whole is somewhat in decline.

But I'm a console gamer, so what the fuck do I know?

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
I bet they hold back the PC version due to piracy too. I'm guessing that if they put out a PC version later, the console sales will be markedly higher.