AES + Retrotink 5X = Wavy Picture

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
So I'm playing some AES games, through the Retrotink 5X and i notice some wavyness at the top of the screen. I'm on the firmware 2.76 and, regardless of the setting or game, the wavyness is still there. This isn't on any other system hooked up to the Retrotink, just the AES.

Not sure why it's there, any advice I'd appreciate it.
20221114_104801.jpg

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Changed them and still nothing, but it definitely has less flickering than before. Maybe a bad SCART cable?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It has something to do with the overscan. You don't even see this stuff on a CRT.
Good point. The 5X does a great job at interpolation, but I still reccomend the 1080p (Over) mode for a proper 5X integer scale. Try the 1080p (Over) mode and see if you can still see it. (It's going to cut off a bit at the top and the bottom, but it's the mode I use because I prefer an even integer scale with equal-sized pixels and no shimmer.)

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Looks similar to what happens when I use an AES with a PVM-20L5. Horizontal hold adjustment fixes this on a CRT but I'm not sure what to do here.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
The console is surely outputing rgb via composite video. Swap pin 3 and 7 on the Din plug to output composite sync.

It happens also on many crts. The swap fixes it.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
The console is surely outputing rgb via composite video. Swap pin 3 and 7 on the Din plug to output composite sync.

It happens also on many crts. The swap fixes it.
Forgive my ignorance, how do I go about swapping a pin on the DIN side?

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
If it's not a factory enclosure, you remove the casing of the DIN and do the job.

If not, there's still a chance that there's an extra wire not soldered to the scart pin 20 (sync). If so, check with a multimeter the continuity from DIN pin 7. If it's good, solder it to scart pin 20.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
If I recall, it won't help if it's an unmodded 3-5 or 3-6 AES, because they only output composite on the sync pin, like the NGCD.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
It's only the overscan if the rest of the picture is fine. Normally it would be cut at the score. Everything above "Time" can't be seen on a CRT.

Looks ok so:

20221114_104801.jpg

Last edited:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
It's only the overscan if the rest of the picture is fine. Normally it would be cut at the score. Everything above "Time" can't be seen on a CRT.

Looks ok so:

View attachment 60769
To me, you're having half issue solved.

It's like hidding the dirt under the bed. If you look closely at the pictures, the wavy one has more info. Just by looking at the mountain you can see it.

Overscan might not bother you in this particular game, but it might in others.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Overscan is an issue for old games on 4K TVs. I can't be the only one who still plays on a CRT.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
I'll give it a shot and see what's going on with the cable. I want to say my AES is a Revision 3-5 or 3-6 modded by Xian Xi, so we'll see if that helps.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Seems like this curling is a known Retrotink sync issue. @Atro is probably right. Just went through the patch notes:

September 4th, 2021

Reverted some settings that might have caused instability with SNES and other consoles. For difficult systems, like the SMS and NEOGEO AES use the 'Strong' LPF setting. For all other systems use 'Off', 'Light' or 'Medium'.

May 26th, 2021

• Fixed some sync problems:
  • Fixed NEOGEO sync for AES and MVS-1F consoles. Activate fix by entering NEOGEO optimal timing mode.
  • SMS should be stable now as long as the 'LPF' is enabled.
  • Both fixes seem to be most reliable with HDRV cables. You might need to cycle back to the NEOGEO mode in some cases. For frequent NEOGEO users, I would still recommend a MVS-1C based system.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Looks like a newer firmware from what I have, let's try it out