AES repro cart shells: Best way to cut holes in them?

slugger_dan

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
I made a custom cart as a personal project but want it in a repro cart shell instead of just bare PCBs, which means a cutout in the shell to expose a USB port/card slot/other things. The plan is a rectangular cutout marked in the photo. Any advice on how to do a reasonably clean job without too much hassle? Or a recommended Dremel bit to make it easier? I haven't worked on this type of plastic before and was told it's not that easy to work with. Can't find the thread about it again but apparently it's why some AES Multi flashcarts have pretty rough looking cutouts for the SD card slot and it caused a few complaints. They might've used the same type of repro shell. Asking for some advice before wrecking a shell and having to order another. Being careful with drill speed and heat to avoid melting the plastic is one thing I remember.

IMG_0460.jpeg

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'd try masking off the area, drawing the outline, drilling holes inside the outline (drill a few larger holes side by side, or maybe you could perforate the outline of the area you're removing), using some good cutters to roughly snip out the area inside the outline between the drill holes, then file outwards to create the shape of the outline

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've never done a Neo shell, but when making similar cuts in other kinds of plastics I'd usually use a Dremel for the rough cutout then a series of metal files for final shaping. A coarse one at first but then a fine gentle one to finish out shaping. Then do the final touches with a fine grit sandpaper that's been soaking in warm water for a few minutes.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I'm not sure how much a replacement shell sells for but if you need some used AES shells to practice with ,drop me a PM.
I'd charge like 5 USD a piece for the shells.
BB

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Dang, when I was a kid these kinds of electronics were a dream, but cutting the plastic was seen as a piece of piss.

Get a Dremel, a hobby saw, some drill bits. Learn to use that shit. Practice using them, they will never be useless in your lifetime. No matter how good the 3D printing gets, no matter now cheap Ali Express gets, you'll always need a drill and a saw for something.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
As BJZ says, you had better "learn to use that shit" when dealing with "a piece of piss."
Sage advice....

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I've never done a Neo shell, but when making similar cuts in other kinds of plastics I'd usually use a Dremel for the rough cutout then a series of metal files for final shaping. A coarse one at first but then a fine gentle one to finish out shaping. Then do the final touches with a fine grit sandpaper that's been soaking in warm water for a few minutes.
I'd recommend EXACTLY this