AES Memory Card Replacement

CyanPixie

Timid Neo Newbie
I have a Neo Geo AES with a broken memory socket. I desoldered it but not knowing the replacement was not correct I disposed of it. This makes life very hard and I am kicking myself for presuming a standard part would just work.

I have had a look at some photos on this forum and a few others and I think I can see what is going on, but can't be 100% sure.

There are 2 questions to this.

1) Does anyone know where I can get a replacement memory card socket from? I haven't been able to find an MVS board to scavenge from yet.

2) Does anyone have the pin-outs of the memory card socket and the corresponding pins on the motherboard? A standard PCMCIA socket from Digikey one does not work as the pins do not align. I was thinking of knocking up a converter board that could be used with something like a SMD socket and then soldered onto existing solder points on the board.

I am sure I am not the only one with this issue and would like a solution to getting a new port without mashed up pins.

I have only just started with the Neo Geo, so am not 100% sure where all the resources and information is located. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

ack

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I've looked a few times in the past and was never able to find a viable replacement socket. If you find one with the correct pin space, be sure to compare the pinout of the datasheet with the numbering on the board. I'm pretty sure I came across a few sockets that could fit but the pin ordering was wrong.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
I may(not even sure yet) be able to salvage you one but it would cost you 50 USD plus 1st class postage.
BB

CyanPixie

Timid Neo Newbie
Yowch! Thanks Big Bear. Could you perhaps have a look at the pin outs of the slot if you do have one around? I am hoping to perhaps make a small board and re-route the PCMCIA pins which could possibly work. My reading on the datasheets is not that good - but I could possibly give it a go and knock a prototype up and cross fingers :D

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
I could probably do a diagram.I recall there not being many active connections associated with it.
What revision is your AES?
BB

CyanPixie

Timid Neo Newbie
I have a 3-6.

Done the RGB mod already, so got a nicer output. :)

This is what I think it looks like. Correct me if I am wrong.....

Attachments

• PCMCIA remix.jpg
    PCMCIA remix.jpg
    953.7 KB · Views: 11

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
I have a 3-6.

Done the RGB mod already, so got a nicer output. :)

This is what I think it looks like. Correct me if I am wrong.....
What are you trying to do here? Wire up that PCMCIA
Looks like it's aligned backwards...
BB