AES Bios into a MVS

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I don't need unbios if my idea works, but is it possible to put a AES bios on a mvs board? I am more so curious if it'd allow game switching via select. I'm not sure about this, has anyone done it? Advice?

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Wait.. Kpj told me a MVS bios wouldn't work in an aes? But it does work the other way around? I was trying to figure out the issues XX and I were having with the neogeocd unibios.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Wait.. Kpj told me a MVS bios wouldn't work in an aes? But it does work the other way around? I was trying to figure out the issues XX and I were having with the neogeocd unibios.

MVS BIOS on AES console doesn't work because the MVS expects there to be a backup circuit, which the AES lacks. The MVS BIOS will display a Backup RAM error every time.

AES BIOS on MVS board works because, among other things, the AES doesn't care about the backup circuit, so it works fine. Of course, this means you won't have high score saving, bookkeeping, soft dip settings or possibly hard dips either, also no coins. But hey, games will still work.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Yup that's about right. In many ways its better to patch a MVS bios to be in console mode than actually use an AES bios on MVS hardware. I'm not sure if an AES bios has the required mechanism to allow game swapping at all.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Is there practice modes on games in AES mode? I'm assuming that's why LWK wants to do this. Worst case scenario I can send him one of the lower releases ive already burned on a rom. I've got a couple of 3.0 chips I made.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Not every game has a practice mode. I'm not sure what It is the OP is trying to do though, I though it was just a general question.

Raz

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Is there practice modes on games in AES mode?

Garou, KOFs (98 onwards) alone are worth the trouble for practice/Survivor modes. :cool:
Pausing is also a plus you don't have on a MVS BIOS.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Garou, KOFs (98 onwards) alone are worth the trouble for practice/Survivor modes. :cool:
Pausing is also a plus you don't have on a MVS BIOS.

I always just wires up a switch for pause on my mvs set ups. Just wire it up to 7 or 8 on the dip switches.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I always just wires up a switch for pause on my mvs set ups. Just wire it up to 7 or 8 on the dip switches.

unfortunately it needs a stationary switch. would be top notch if it could just use the select button.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Just buy a UniBIOS. 100% worth the cost.