Advise on Ebay Transaction

X

Y,
Long story short my wife put up her iPad 2 for sell on Ebay. Unit was working 100% and in near mint condition. It was purchased and shipped the next morning. The buyer received the unit today and said that the glass came off of the unit when he received it and has already shipped it back to me. He wants an immediate refund or will leave me bad feedback.

Long story short I am under the impression that he changed his mind because the new models were announced the day after he purchased my unit.

What are my options or will I lose no mater what?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Did you insure it? It's seller's responsibility to insure packages, now. If not, the responsibility is yours, regardless if he broke it or not. If you have, then file a claim and tell them it could be a lengthy process before they get their money back.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
i would also check the serial numbers so you can check for the bait and switch.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
was the shipment insured? if so, you may be able to get a claim going... although i'm not sure if usps insurance covers "damaged" or just missing items. other then that, you can try and dispute it with ebay... but unless you have proof that the ipad was working upon shipment(photos/videos) it'll be a 50/50 thing. although ebay is more on the side of the buyer so.... you are a bit limited.

then again, if you don't care about the negative feedback.... that's another story.

oh, and... he's shipping it back eh?... if for some reason he didn't get any sort of tracking it could be a win for you(if you're shady)

X

Y,
Yes it was insured. When you say file a claim you mean with ebay or the shipping company?

X

Y,
was the shipment insured? if so, you may be able to get a claim going... although i'm not sure if usps insurance covers "damaged" or just missing items. other then that, you can try and dispute it with ebay... but unless you have proof that the ipad was working upon shipment(photos/videos) it'll be a 50/50 thing. although ebay is more on the side of the buyer so.... you are a bit limited.

then again, if you don't care about the negative feedback.... that's another story.

oh, and... he's shipping it back eh?... if for some reason he didn't get any sort of tracking it could be a win for you(if you're shady)

He said he shipped it back and provided me a tracking number, in the same email he claimed the glass game off.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
shipping. but you'd also wan to notify ebay about what's going on and explain it to the buyer as well

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
If it's your responsibility to deliver a working product:

Glass replacements (from broken glass, etc) are simple fixes that can be done through an Apple store or an independent store (such as a mobile phone shop or computer repair store). The appropriate action would be to have the item fixed and that would satisfy the buyer's purchase.

If the buyer insists on a refund and not fixing the product for the purchase they made, then consider there is something more going on.

Edit: Check serial numbers.

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I hope you took pictures of it. The way shit is these days, you can't put it past anybody to pull some shady stuff, and mail carrier's wreck shit all the time. I had UPS deliver a package with a gash the size of a human foot (how odd is that) that I had insured, and they came out, inspected it (themselves), deemed it not their fault, and then left. I had to pay over $100 to fix the computer that was inside the package.

After that incident, I now take pictures of stuff I'm going to sell from all angles and also take pictures AND videos of it in working order, then take pictures of the packing process, then a picture of the final package from all sides, and then a picture of it at the post office before I take it to the counter. It's fucking ridiculous, but sellers have to cover themselves from every possible angle because there are shitty buyers everywhere.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I hope you took pictures of it. The way shit is these days, you can't put it past anybody to pull some shady stuff, and mail carrier's wreck shit all the time. I had UPS deliver a package with a gash the size of a human foot (how odd is that) that I had insured, and they came out, inspected it (themselves), deemed it not their fault, and then left. I had to pay over $100 to fix the computer that was inside the package.

After that incident, I now take pictures of stuff I'm going to sell from all angles and also take pictures AND videos of it in working order, then take pictures of the packing process, then a picture of the final package from all sides, and then a picture of it at the post office before I take it to the counter. It's fucking ridiculous, but sellers have to cover themselves from every possible angle because there are shitty buyers everywhere.

i see the inside UPS trucks all the time at work and they're jammed with boxes in a way that completely disregards the integrity of the box and the item(s) within

luckily the guy who delivers in my home area is super cool, very organized, and actually gives a damn

X

Y,
Thanks all for the advise. I will post results of the issue when it is all said and done.