A simple cart mod

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
I have a thread a little bit down but I can answer my own questions if I just had a dev cart to work with, and I don't know how many people here would be able to answer anyway. CD system would be a good choice but I don't own one and I definitely would not be playing anything on it. Beyond that, I'd actually be able to play this on my neo which I'd much rather prefer over emulators.

I simply want the 8mbit P1 ROM socketed in an SS3 cart so I can replace it with an EPROM. What type of price am I looking at here for anyone who is capable? This is for MVS (the one with TWO program ROMs) provided I can get my issues resolved with my setup. i'd just do this myself but I don't consider myself good enough with a soldering iron to reliably do this, I only did this a couple times in an EE class a while back.

I don't feel like spending much so I'll just grab this cheap willem which comes with a 27C800 compatible adapter. I believe that's what I want here.

So who here is capable?

edit: I have absolutely no idea why my thread is instantly approved but my posts need moderation, I'd figure it'd be the reverse

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
There are many of us that are capable of pulling a chip cleanly then socketing the board.

The bigger question is: Who can do it that lives down under?

I'm in Texas, USA, so shipping will be expensive.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I'd check locally w/ computer repair and electronic repair places. I am sure plenty of guys there can surface mount solder for you

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
That's not a bad idea awbacon, I'll check out one of the places nearby sometime soon. Didn't consider the repair guys for this at all.

Getting someone down here to do it would be nice, honestly I'm more willing to to just attempt it myself then shipping it internationally. Think I will do some reading on the subject and see what it calls for. I'll dig out some junk boards to practice on if I decide on that.

I think I might decide to do just that, I'm willing to learn how to do it for this and future projects and I'm not stupid enough to start on MVS carts. If there's any particular bits of reading material you might recommend/not recommend then please do so, otherwise I'll just use what I see on google. Sets of 10 DIP42 sockets going for $5 on ebay and I have some bootlegs to sacrifice for this, why not?