A new consolized MVS has dropped, the "Open MVS" AKA "OMVS"

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
My buddy Avram (avramce here) spent a long while on this project and it just dropped today.

Here's a video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKu...jTi2H3MPNP1AtBc6Rs7_ySX-VLbc0bKgxMjAjyA-HZ8IQ

Links to the order page etc. are in the video description. It's sold both complete and as a DIY kit.

Personally, I love the shell and concept surrounding this project. It was designed around getting quality CMVS units more readily available to everyone.

Last edited:

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
How much for the kit?
BB

When you're filling out the order form there's a check box for DIY that subtracts from the total if you select it.

The order form is here: https://taitoc.org/preorder

Total price depends on options selected, but opting for DIY subtracts $150 off, so from what I'm seeing roughly $200 for the DIY kit give or take.

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'm part of the test group for the OMVS and I have one word to describe it: quality.

Dynamite RGB video and stellar audio.

It's well built and inexpensive for what it gives you.

I've had it for a while now and it's a fantastic bargain.

P1011099-1.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
He's a nice and respectful guy, I was glad to help him out with whatever questions he had. They turned out great, I love the slim, low profile look to it. Great job dude.

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
He's a nice and respectful guy, I was glad to help him out with whatever questions he had. They turned out great, I love the slim, low profile look to it. Great job dude.

Thanks Xian Xi, really humbling to get complimented by the creator of the most sought after CMVS builds ☺️. It was thanks to your site, my buddies Omega console and the Neogeodev wiki that I was able to learn as much as I did. Really happy that the response to the project is so positive, looking forward to seeing what type of forks or changes people add to it in the future. One person already wants to incorporate a NeoVGA in his build, another wants to see if they can get cart flaps working with the slot design.

Hopefully people will continue to build on this baseline project once the files are released.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Hi,
You start the shipping out on orders in May and the kits go for 150 USD?
BB

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
I've been bumping the ETA based on how many pre-orders there are. I'm looking at a local 3D print shop to offload the printing as that is my limiting factor (one shell takes 24+ hours using three printers). If you are just getting the kit without the MV1C, it would be $200, unless you want a unpainted shell, which would make it $170.

To be clear, the $200 price tag includes: shell, front jamma break out board, rear AV board, 5V3a Meanwell PSU.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
This looks pretty slick, I like the red/white nod to the MVS cabs.

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
Open MVS? where are the files for the shell and pcbs?

They will be uploaded at a later date, but yes, we are looking into getting some people that can handle printing in various locales, especially those with heavy import taxes.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
They will be uploaded at a later date, but yes, we are looking into getting some people that can handle printing in various locales, especially those with heavy import taxes.

Neat! Can't wait.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The gold is good! One of my selections will be the beige/white one ,top middle and then here will be my other preferences as I will be purchasing/pre-ordering several of these at one time.MATCH THESE UP FOR ME burnt orange,motw yellow and fire brick red.Also would it be possible to omit the MVS cutout so that the end user can use decals instead to dress up?
BB

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

I think he may have meant that using the word “open” usually means some things. For starters, you couldn’t use anything that anyone had already copyrighted, you’d have to reverse engineer everything that isn’t open from SNK, chip makers, etc, and you’d have to make available all your designs. Without those two things “open” is a brand name.

The product looks amazing though, home run, very nice and a great value. I may get one just so I can play Neo upstairs.

EDIT: Hang on...what is this thing now exactly? I really don’t like watching videos for three seconds of information, please forgive me. Do I need a PCB? If so, why isn’t it mentioned or specified? And what do I get for $350, a 3D printed case and a use-specific supergun that is SD only?

Sorry to sound like a moron/jerk but I’m confused...

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I think he may have meant that using the word “open” usually means some things. For starters, you couldn’t use anything that anyone had already copyrighted, you’d have to reverse engineer everything that isn’t open from SNK, chip makers, etc, and you’d have to make available all your designs. Without those two things “open” is a brand name.

The product looks amazing though, home run, very nice and a great value. I may get one just so I can play Neo upstairs.

Yeah the usage of "Open" was really confusing, but he did clarify the gerber files on boards and whatever is the format for 3D printable objects will be uploaded.

About the product, the preorder page clarifies it a bit:

Base units will cost $350 and will include the console and a Meanwell 5V3A power supply. Console will have a Genesis 2-style mini DIN9 AV port, which is capable of RGB, C-Sync, TTL Sync and Stereo audio. Console will have the original battery replaced with a socketed rechargeable cell and the original heatsink will be removed (please indicate in the comments section if you desire to keep the heatsink in the event you wish to use the board in a JAMMA cabinet).

Consoles will include a 30-day warranty on the Neo Geo MV1C motherboard, and a 90-day warranty on OMVS components (front-panel board and AV-board).

"Console" (which is RGB only) with a rechargeable cell mod, Jamma Board, RGB out and power connector boards, console-like shell, PSU. I think???
Yeah dude just make a textual description of the thing if possible.

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
For 350 USD, you get the whole shabang!...Everything is assembled and the pcb is included(supply,cable,etc)..once it arrives to your home ,you plug and play.
What I'm after are kits...they're roughly 200 USD a pop and I have to supply the pcb which I already have secveral of ready to go.
BB

EDIT: Hang on...what is this thing now exactly? I really don’t like watching videos for three seconds of information, please forgive me. Do I need a PCB? If so, why isn’t it mentioned or specified? And what do I get for $350, a 3D printed case and a use-specific supergun that is SD only?

Sorry to sound like a moron/jerk but I’m confused...

Last edited:

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
Well, from here on out, it sounds like I'll only be offering the DIY kit, as I've already sold through my stock of MV1C boards. At the $350, it included a full console, including the shell, psu, and MV1C board.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This seems like a great deal. I'll probably be recommending this to people going forward. This inspired me to finally add a THS7374 to my existing CMVS.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
This may be interesting also for us from another side of the pond but leaving the 3D printed case aside, since it will significantly increase shipping costs.

I'll keep an eye on this to check if the kits becomes available for the parts, excluding the mv1c and the case. If the price is right there could be business there from those not willing or not knowing how to DIY.

Cheers for the project, always happy to see new NEO thing developed.

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
This may be interesting also for us from another side of the pond but leaving the 3D printed case aside, since it will significantly increase shipping costs.

I'll keep an eye on this to check if the kits becomes available for the parts, excluding the mv1c and the case. If the price is right there could be business there from those not willing or not knowing how to DIY.

Cheers for the project, always happy to see new NEO thing developed.

Yep yep, we are looking into getting the files to distributors in Brazil and EU, given the import/exports tariffs and the restrictions on shipping in/out of Europe at the moment. I'm sure it'll be much cheaper for everyone in the long run.