4 Slot Board Repair/Search/Woes

gargoyle7

20 Year Member
SO I have a 4 slot board for my Super 29 candy, 3 slots work well, 1 is wonky, SICK of the screwy function, is there ANYONE that reliably repairs them now? And NOT the shady guy on ebay.

OR does anyone have a lead on a great condition 4 slot?

*sigh*

Thanks

Lee (garg7)

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Clean the crap out of the slot then if you are still have issues try reflowing the solder on all the pins of that connector.

supersega

Mr. Big's Thug
Clean the crap out of the slot then if you are still have issues try reflowing the solder on all the pins of that connector.

And the corresponding inter-board connectors on the sub-board. Mine had some physical damage and a few cracked joints on the inter-board connectors.

EDIT: and OP, that's a great MV4 you have. Such a small issue is no reason to throw it away, mine ended up being a BRAM chip and a YM2610 and even I thought I got lucky.

hatmoose

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The 4 slot seems to be in that sweet spot - it's electrically complicated enough to fail a lot (unlike the much simpler 2-slot). And it was popular enough with operators back in the day that there are still a lot of them around (unlike the more expensive 6-slot). Consequently there are a lot of partially working 4-slots out there.
In fact the only 4-slots I've ever seen that are fully functional are the ones that have been repaired with help on these boards :-)

If you've got one slot bad it's either going to be a problem with the slot, a problem with one of the undocumented and irreplaceable customs that switches the signals to the slot, or the traces between the two.

gargoyle7

20 Year Member
The 4 slot seems to be in that sweet spot - it's electrically complicated enough to fail a lot (unlike the much simpler 2-slot). And it was popular enough with operators back in the day that there are still a lot of them around (unlike the more expensive 6-slot). Consequently there are a lot of partially working 4-slots out there.
In fact the only 4-slots I've ever seen that are fully functional are the ones that have been repaired with help on these boards :-)

If you've got one slot bad it's either going to be a problem with the slot, a problem with one of the undocumented and irreplaceable customs that switches the signals to the slot, or the traces between the two.
TY sir, helpful