360 rings of death and warranty?

Snooptalian

Hairdresser, ,
Just got the 3 damn rings of death on my 360, so I call Microsoft and they say as of January 17 2007 I am out of warranty and if I want this fixed or replaced I need to pay $110 plus shipping both ways...WTF I thought they were repairing all consoles with this BS red light crap? Anyone else have this problem getting a repair, or has it been no problem...

Last edited:

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I know in the UK launch consoles are repaired free no matter how long your out of the warranty.

thundr51

Bead Banger
I filled out the warranty card when I got mine and I've exchanged it 3x. My warranty runs out sometime in 2010. Best $50 I've ever spent.

Snooptalian

Hairdresser, ,
Since apparently I can't return my 360 I decided to try the stupidest fix I have ever heard of, and at least for the moment it works. I wrapped my 360 with the hard drive removed in a heavy bath towel and then covered that with a blanket and turned the system on and left it running for an hour. Obviously this heated the shit out of it, but what it does is allow the solder joints that are causing these problems to get hot enough to flow and and re-establish contact. Maybe temporary, but as of the moment the rings are gone and it works as it should again. I let it cool down after the hour being covered up, then put an Intercooler on it and fired it up again and it is working. Would be nice if it kept working, but who knows. Anyone else try this yet?

Sllick50

NEST Puppet
Whoa that worked? That is awesomely ghetto. I have had mine replaced on warrenty twice but I paid the extra $.

Snooptalian

Hairdresser, ,
Yeah, believe it or not it did work. No telling how long it'll last. I've heard people that covered the system for 10 minutes and it only ended up working for 3 hours or so, then also people have kept the system covered for an hour or more and it has worked flawlessly for weeks without problems, and is still working as usual. So who knows? I'm sure I'll have to buy another at some point, but I'm in no hurry to spend $300-$400 on something I already have...:oh_no:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
some brazilian tech had success stripping all the cold solder joints and resoldering with lead solder, which I'm not sure if it's banned in the US or not. but apparently it worked out great. so if it's an issue of crappy solder - then I don't see why a decent tech can't carry out a similar operation as this brazilian guy. maybe it's too much hard work?

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Had the same problem with mine about a month ago. And it was only a month out of warranty...

I thought about doing the towel idea but decided better and just sent it in.

So now I'm on my third 360 in 15 months (first one had a fubar DVD Drive).

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Snooptalian, you're lucky you didn't perma-break your 360 :loco:

Snooptalian

Hairdresser, ,
68k said:
Snooptalian, you're lucky you didn't perma-break your 360 :loco:

I know, but figured what the hell. They won't fix it, so if it got toasted, oh well. I played it for at least 5 hours today and it still works, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that it keeps on working...:) Still can't believe a frigging towel got it working again of all things...:eek:

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Now you got it working, would you not just be better selling it & buying a new one?

P00t

Fuck eBay & PayPal,
RGP said:
Now you got it working, would you not just be better selling it & buying a new one?

What if it decided to fuck up again in the buyers hands, wouldn't that make him a scammer?

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
J0e Musashi said:
Lol, what for if it works now?

Because its only a temporary fix, as well documented, you can also strip the console down & use a hot air gun on the mobo.

Sn00t said:
What if it decided to fuck up again in the buyers hands, wouldn't that make him a scammer?

Not if the item was "sold as" thats how I normally sell my items, with their been so many mupets out there these days you can't afford to take any risks.

Broken 360's seam to fetch fairly good cash just for the console only too, he could do that & sell the other stuff on.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
i3th+racing.png

lol 360 indeed.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
kernow said:
i3th+racing.png

lol 360 indeed.

I no longer have a Lol 360. I just haven't adjusted my sig yet. I already told you that it was a stop-gap between PS2 and 3.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Fact:

I sold my 360 to my roommate a few months back, and yesterday it gave the good ol' 3 rings of death.

It seems like there's no stopping it really. The 360 has the worst hardware reliability.

Nobody will be playing the 360 20 years from now because there won't be any working by then :p

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
J0e Musashi said:
I no longer have a Lol 360. I just haven't adjusted my sig yet. I already told you that it was a stop-gap between PS2 and 3.

And you told me that you were going to buy another one :spock:

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
RGP said:
And you told me that you were going to buy another one :spock:

I haven't spoke to you since about January, seeing as you hang out with your new friends at KC now. I don't recall saying this to you. Perhaps I were intoxicated.

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Thats because you sent me a text me about the ATEI & I pm'ed you back, but you never replied, I still come here just don't come to chat.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
RGP said:
Thats because you sent me a text me about the ATEI & I pm'ed you back, but you never replied, I still come here just don't come to chat.

Fine then. Stay your ways.

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I noticed you still pass by KC when you need to sell some gear & did you find Mark Starkey in the end?

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
RGP said:
I noticed you still pass by KC when you need to sell some gear & did you find Mark Starkey in the end?

Yeah, I pass through there occasionally. It's way better than NTSC for selling arcade stuffs, and UK shipping>USA shipping.

Starkey eluded me funnily enough, although I only tried him one time, and I could have messaged him through eBay I guess. Thanks for reminding me though, I need some soldering done.

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Funny thing I was doing some shopping at Sainsburys in St Albans on sat when I bumped into him, where he filled me in yeah he's moved again, deleted that ebay account & he scrapped his Megalo cab.